WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Early in the year and USF has wins over two ranked teams Stanford and Oregon. Their two losses are two UConn and Tennessee. We have not played a ranked team, so I'm guessing that is what the AP voters are using as a measuring stick. I'm not saying it is correct, but it is easy to use at this point in the season.

Damn, that's one hell of a schedule to start your year off with. :oops:

Reactions: StLCyclone

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I don’t like seeing us drop, but wow…the top ten are playing and beating up on each other left and right. That’s impressive seeing the parity there. That’s different than any year I can remember. Literally any top ten team can beat any other.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I don’t like seeing us drop, but wow…the top ten are playing and beating up on each other left and right. That’s impressive seeing the parity there. That’s different than any year I can remember. Literally any top ten team can beat any other.
Only if they are playing, some teams are idle and doing well.

runningcy

Oct 16, 2008
Ames
Who cares what we’re ranked let’s just keep tearing it up. If we can knock off LSU Tom the road that’ll turn some heads

Reactions: NWICY

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

It's quite crazy how many top 10 teams are playing each other. Most of the teams in the top 10 win a loss is to another team in the top 10.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's quite crazy how many top 10 teams are playing each other. Most of the teams in the top 10 win a loss is to another team in the top 10.

Heck, UConn and South Carolina are playing each other twice this season in non-conference, once in a tourney in the Bahama (SC Win) and than again at SC. Lots of good out of conference matchups.

We at least have one game that will be of national interest, Iowa, since we are both hanging around near the Top 10. Throw in two players recognized nationally plus rivalry and it will generate a bunch of interest.

I'll be interested to see how Iowa bounces back from COVID interruption vs Duke on Thursday. I don't think it will be as big an impact as Baylor had last season.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ISC and acoustimac

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
To me these early polls mean very little (except to make fans feel good) as teams are just starting to play. One thing the early polls do is put a target on your back if you have a good rating so lesser teams have a motive to play harder. I do like that there have been more games by teams from/with tougher competition than in the past. The polls that mean something are the mid to late January ones.

Reactions: ISC

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
At this point, we need to learn how to play two posts at the same time. Probably not ideal since I don't know how much we can trust any of our posts to play perimeter defense. We can't lean on our four starting guards to play 40 minutes every game. Might Fred see double-digit minutes?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Holy s***. Worst case scenario. Can’t even play 5 x 5 in practice effectively with these numbers.
Low roster numbers mean more playing time per player, stress, fatigue, and maybe a higher incidence of injury. And, each injury impacts the remaining players' time on the court and increased the chance of injury.

Is it just me or are we part of that subset of programs where this happens to us more frequently than average? Anyway, a short discussion of this possibility was prescient if we start seeing our wonderful cast of players start to show wear in their battles with the clock and the opponent?

Here: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season:

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
In the short term I would like to see Fred earn some more minutes. Hopefully everyone else heals quickly. I hate to see so many girls injured.

Reactions: StClone

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Can anyone shed light on MEM's injury? Didn't play much last year and again so far this year. Same injury or now something new? Feel bad for her.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The disrespect is real. ISUWBB wins their tournament and they go down one spot in the latest AP poll. You can't tell me 5-2 South Florida is better than our 7-0 Cyclones. The twister sisters should be top 10.

Meh, I'm ok with it. let them play, rankings don't matter till March IMO. Then seeding is more important for the tourney. Finish strong in the conference and get to the Sweet 16 I'll call it a successful season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
At this point, we need to learn how to play two posts at the same time. Probably not ideal since I don't know how much we can trust any of our posts to play perimeter defense. We can't lean on our four starting guards to play 40 minutes every game. Might Fred see double-digit minutes?

Not much choice than to get Fred some minutes. I think she can hold her own for a few minutes here and there. Don't think they have much choice other than to give her a shot or you'll have your team run down by conference time. Right now you have three posts, a deep bench guard and a walk on guard as options. In the could've been world it would have been nice if either Wise or Johnson had come back for grad school or Feuerbach had not transferred. If MEM doesn't come back we won't have a backup point at all off the bench.

And, so much for the Fritz "just precautionary" thing although maybe they were just being super optimistic. :(

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Meh, I'm ok with it. let them play, rankings don't matter till March IMO. Then seeding is more important for the tourney. Finish strong in the conference and get to the Sweet 16 I'll call it a successful season.

Been set up twice in recent years for Sweet Sixteen and couldn't get it done. More so at home with Carleton and company than last year (not a good draw and not at home). Think Sweet Sixteen is an "at least" goal for the year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Been set up twice in recent years for Sweet Sixteen and couldn't get it done. More so at home with Carleton and company than last year (not a good draw and not at home). Think Sweet Sixteen is an "at least" goal for the year.

Yep, that Carleton yr was disappointing. I think maybe this yr is stronger defensively than that one?