WBB: General Thread of Cyclones Women's Hoops 2021-2022 Season

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Anyone heard where our 2021 graduates (Johnson and Scott) landed? Was wondering if they are back here in Minnesota.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Didn't see this elsewhere, from big12sports.com

Baylor Chosen As Big 12 Favorite In Preseason Poll

Irving, Texas - For the 11th time since 2006, Baylor has been selected to win the 2021-22 Big 12 women’s basketball regular season crown, as voted on by the league’s head coaches. BU has tied or won 12 regular-season titles, including the last 11.

The Bears received seven first place votes (coaches are not allowed to vote for their own teams). Iowa State and Texas tied for second, with the Longhorns receiving two first place votes and the Cyclones earning one. West Virginia took over the fourth place spot, followed by Oklahoma in fifth, TCU in sixth and Oklahoma State in seventh. K-State and Texas Tech tied for eighth, while Kansas sits at 10th.

The 2021-22 season opens on Tuesday, Nov. 9 with a full slate of non-conference games. Big 12 play is scheduled to begin on Sunday, January 2.

2021-22 Big 12 Preseason Poll
Team (First-place votes)Points
1.Baylor (7)79
2.Iowa State (1)67
Texas (2)67
4.West Virginia58
5.Oklahoma44
6.TCU32
7.Oklahoma State30
8.K-State26
Texas Tech26
10.Kansas17
Coaches are not permitted to vote for their own team.

"I don’t know if there’s such a thing as an Indiana/Wisconsin drawl, though I’d say Collen is distinctly Midwestern. At the Tip Off Luncheon last week, she told the crowd that she’s not here to be Kim Mulkey Jr. That’s straightforward for you.
Collen said you won’t see her sitting on the bench because she’s compelled to be on her feet".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

"I don’t know if there’s such a thing as an Indiana/Wisconsin drawl, though I’d say Collen is distinctly Midwestern. At the Tip Off Luncheon last week, she told the crowd that she’s not here to be Kim Mulkey Jr. That’s straightforward for you.
Collen said you won’t see her sitting on the bench because she’s compelled to be on her feet".

Looked up to see what Baylor lost to graduation / transfers which was 4 of their top 6 scorers from last year. They did get the OSU transfer. I know Texas lost alot but hit the jackpot from a recruiting class aspect.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looked up to see what Baylor lost to graduation / transfers which was 4 of their top 6 scorers from last year. They did get the OSU transfer. I know Texas lost alot but hit the jackpot from a recruiting class aspect.

Going to be the year we should win the conference with a senior POY. Been 21 years since we had a share of the conference title, this has to be the year to do it. Conference is going to be weaker at the top with Mulkey gone and Texas and OU leaving so future shots will be there IF we have the level of players we have this year in the future. I am assuming a big rebound for OU soon so them leaving is a big deal IMHO. Not saying the conference will suck or anything, BYU and UFC are decent in WBB, but it will be top end weaker.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Going to be the year we should win the conference with a senior POY. Been 21 years since we had a share of the conference title, this has to be the year to do it. Conference is going to be weaker at the top with Mulkey gone and Texas and OU leaving so future shots will be there IF we have the level of players we have this year in the future. I am assuming a big rebound for OU soon so them leaving is a big deal IMHO. Not saying the conference will suck or anything, BYU and UFC are decent in WBB, but it will be top end weaker.

I wonder if Jenny knew that they would be leaving the Big 12 when she took the job?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wonder if Jenny knew that they would be leaving the Big 12 when she took the job?

Would be interesting to speculate. Mission was catch Baylor, now it's catch A&M and South Carolina while fighting off Tennessee, Georgia and Texas. The path to winning the conference will be extremely hard when you also though in what Mulkey might build at LSU. If she can do with OU what I think she will the top 5 or 6 in the SEC are going to be really tough.

Not really following the whole super conference SEC moves, but are they going to divisions?

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Would be interesting to speculate. Mission was catch Baylor, now it's catch A&M and South Carolina while fighting off Tennessee, Georgia and Texas. The path to winning the conference will be extremely hard when you also though in what Mulkey might build at LSU. If she can do with OU what I think she will the top 5 or 6 in the SEC are going to be really tough.

Not really following the whole super conference SEC moves, but are they going to divisions?

Texas and Ou would fit better in the west. The best scenario to me if they keep divisions is to move the 2 Mississippi schools to East and Texas and Ou go to the west.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Castiglione was quoted somewhere that no coaches were privy to the SEC discussions; of course he lied to Pollard and the rest of the AD's for months, so why not lie to the press too.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

The transfers from Alabama and OSU both averaged 17ppg so there's a new 34 points right there from veterans.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Not sure if this was posted or not, Charlie Cremes Top 25 pre-season. Would take with a grain of salt and for fun and amusement and maybe a little information on some teams. I am mostly in the Creme's a sports grifter crowd bu saw this on the GopherHole forum.

Has Iowa #9 and ISU #16. His ISU summary is sorta simplistic and seems to miss that Ryan is a point guard. Why would you list her rebounds per game and not her 5.9 assists per game? Cremes a tool, or his staff that actually writes this are tools, no real difference. ;)

15. Iowa State Cyclones

Building around Ashley Joens has proven a recipe for success for Bill Fennelly the last two seasons. The senior's 24.2 points per game last season led the Big 12, and she lifted a team with three freshman starters to the NCAA tournament. Two of those three freshmen are back. Kylie Feuerbach's transfer to Iowa hurts, but having Big 12 Freshman of the Year Lexi Donarski (13.0 PPG, 41.1% on 3-pointers) gives the Cyclones another reliable scorer and shooter. If sophomore guard Emily Ryan (8.1 PPG, 3.5 RPG) gets even better, Iowa State will be a Sweet 16 contender.

Linky: https://www.espn.com/womens-college...eseason-rankings-2021-22-why-uconn-opens-no-1

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Not sure if this was posted or not, Charlie Cremes Top 25 pre-season. Would take with a grain of salt and for fun and assume and maybe a little information on some team. I am mostly in the Creme's a sports grifter crowd bu saw this on the GopherHole forum.

Has Iowa #9 and ISU #16. His ISU summary is sorta simplistic and seems to miss that Ryan is a point guard. Why would you list her rebounds per game and not her 5.9 assists per game? Cremes a tool, or his staff that actually writes this are tools, not real difference. ;)

15. Iowa State Cyclones

Building around Ashley Joens has proven a recipe for success for Bill Fennelly the last two seasons. The senior's 24.2 points per game last season led the Big 12, and she lifted a team with three freshman starters to the NCAA tournament. Two of those three freshmen are back. Kylie Feuerbach's transfer to Iowa hurts, but having Big 12 Freshman of the Year Lexi Donarski (13.0 PPG, 41.1% on 3-pointers) gives the Cyclones another reliable scorer and shooter. If sophomore guard Emily Ryan (8.1 PPG, 3.5 RPG) gets even better, Iowa State will be a Sweet 16 contender.

Linky: https://www.espn.com/womens-college...eseason-rankings-2021-22-why-uconn-opens-no-1

of course no mention of Fritz.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
of course no mention of Fritz.

She might be our sleeper recruit based on our program's talk about her but I'm not surprised a national writeup would omit her. Unlikely that any of the other teams have a mention or shoutout to a recruit outside the top 100.

Not defending Creme, cause Creme sucks. ;)

Reactions: undersized_post

undersized_post

Apr 18, 2021
I'd be willing to extend more grace to Creme, if he didn't have such a big platform at ESPNW. But unfortunately the WBB media ecosystem is small enough that Creme becomes a loud voice in a small room.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'd be willing to extend more grace to Creme, if he didn't have such a big platform at ESPNW. But unfortunately the WBB media ecosystem is small enough that Creme becomes a loud voice in a small room.

Outside of Brenda VanLengen most of the WBB big media personalities are patronizing goofs and loudmouths. Even the new younger ex-player voices seem to want to be slightly toned down versions of Stephen A. Smith.
On the local side, it is interesting to hear more of the home teams broadcasts in a streaming era where the audience is not just your teams fans. Some are actually well informed enough on the opponent to make the broadcast palatable, others just can't make the transition. Our own best combo is Brent and Molly.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
They have updated the schedule to show TV options. For the exhibition it looks like no TV. Drake is Mediacom so no access for us of out of state peeps. OU and Texas roadies will be on their own channels. The Gulf Coast thingie will require a FloHoops subscription. Think Flo is $30 for the month but than you have to be sure to successfully cancel or it is reoccurring. Will have to debate this with myself, not a fan of these sketching streaming services.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Any word on play-by-play or color for the games?

Last year Blum, Fennelly, Parrot, and John Walters took turns. I have not read who, if different, is doing the games this year. Does no news mean no change?

Last edited: