Wendy Wintersteen & Jamie Pollard Address the Fans

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
It's a game of chicken and Texas and Oklahoma know that.

So the question becomes what sort of deal would the 8 remaining schools take? Half of what they owe? 1/4?
Why would we take any less than 100%? The agreement only runs for 4 more years.

• Agree
Reactions: August

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Not sure why a lot people discount the Big12 GOR, but then view the ACC GOR as air tight.

Jamie said exactly what he needed to say about holding OU/UT to their contractual GOR. The new piece of info I thought I heard was in addition to rights fees, both schools would also owe a penalty.

I am not sure where the 2022 date for UT/OU came from. I saw a tweet with that timeline based on schools like A&M, Neb and Mizzou leaving the Big12. But I don't know if they were bound by same GOR language and years remaining on TV contract at that time.

Lastly, the SEC media rights explosion isn't set to happen for a few years. CBS' $55M deal runs for 3-4 more years before the ESPN $300M deal kicks in. Also an expanded playoff is a few years off.

Duration…it is like a coach’s buyout. And uncertainty…this is be the first challenge/exit strategy to GOR if I’m not mistaken. This might set the precedent if they get off easy. But like with anything in this matter, it’s likely to be a question on if you’re able to just plow through the issue with cash.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Not sure why a lot people discount the Big12 GOR, but then view the ACC GOR as air tight.

Jamie said exactly what he needed to say about holding OU/UT to their contractual GOR. The new piece of info I thought I heard was in addition to rights fees, both schools would also owe a penalty.

I am not sure where the 2022 date for UT/OU came from. I saw a tweet with that timeline based on schools like A&M, Neb and Mizzou leaving the Big12. But I don't know if they were bound by same GOR language and years remaining on TV contract at that time.

Lastly, the SEC media rights explosion isn't set to happen for a few years. CBS' $55M deal runs for 3-4 more years before the ESPN $300M deal kicks in. Also an expanded playoff is a few years off.
I think the 2022 date came from a few things.

People cant see it going any longer.

There were rumors UT and OU have the money lined up to buy out if they needed to, but they are posturing they will stay for legal reasons.

The expectation is the conference implodes and everyone leaves and votes to dissolve, at least the majority share.

Its all speculation as everything is at this point.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
It will be interesting to see how TX / OU, the other Big 12 schools, and the media view the video from Wendy Wintersteen and Jamie Pollard.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Anyone else looking forward to chanting

"Four More Years!" When Texas runs out onto the field come November?

You want to go play in the SEC? Well you are just going to have to suck on it for a while until we say you can go. Of course, that is after we get paid extra to speed up the time table and we all have our exit plans figured out.

Relax people. We have all the leverage here. No need to panic.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Why would we take any less than 100%? The agreement only runs for 4 more years.

Because we're not going to want to drag it out that long either, in reality.

If we do, its because we have no landing spot, and we're ******

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
I thought the messages was quite clear. We hang tough for 4 years and we pocket our normal TV rights money of $160M. UT and OU crap their pants since the SEC wants them early and they negotiate the buyout number which still is a big number.
On a serious note JP is spot on we have to pack JTS and Hilton to make ISU a even better commodity when all this settles out in a year or so.
Go Cyclones

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think the 2022 date came from a few things.

People cant see it going any longer.

There were rumors UT and OU have the money lined up to buy out if they needed to, but they are posturing they will stay for legal reasons.

The expectation is the conference implodes and everyone leaves and votes to dissolve, at least the majority share.

Its all speculation as everything is at this point.

But how does it make sense for existing SEC schools to add 2 new members and there isn't incremental TV rights? CBS still has their deal for 3-4 years.

The only way it would make sense is if ESPN feels it can reduce its Big12 media rights. I see lawyers all over that.

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
Before CMC was announced at Toledo as head coach, a player I know went to the AD's office and presented multiple reasons why CMC should be the head coach. The AD was polite and gave him "coach talk". Two days later he saw the player and apologized for not being able to tell him that he was working hard to get CMC hired and the deal had been basically done when they talked.
The video audience:1) the two scum bags, you will pay alot, dont try to continue f#@*ing with the 8 you ran out on in the dark. 2) the fans and donors, I get it you are all nervous and pissed, let me do my job. 3) the Big 1G, yep we will get a big payout from the scum bags and adjust our initial share accordingly. 4) everyone, yes I am pissed, this sucks for college football and I will be one of the adult voices in the room.

and 5) Cyclone Nation, Fill Jack Trice Stadium, and Fill Hilton Coliseum! Go Cyclones!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
He can’t possibly think waiting it out is the best option. He knows better.

The “don’t panic” and “position ISU in the best possible spot” comments are interesting
He's not saying the university is waiting anything out - you can bet he and Dr. W are doing everything they can - but because there are legal and administrative processes that need to play out it will take a while for everything to settle out. The fans need to just wait it out.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
There is no choice but to wait. Anyone that thought the B1G is going to be handing out invites next week is ignorant.

B1G will make another, another huge press on ND. They won’t do anything until they exhaust that possibility.

Then, the rumors of pillaging the Pac12 for high profile schools and creating a coast-to-coast league with pod divisions will be fully explored.

We are at least a year of two away from anything. WW and JP are just trying to calm down the idiots I see here that think there are imminent moves to be made.

Only viable path forward is to retain CMC, remain relevant (attractive) on the football field, and get our ish together in MBB.

LAClone

Apr 26, 2010
I'm sorry, but I have to question the competence of every person involved in this video, from the decision to make it in the first place, to production, to editing. This didn't do anything to make our university look like a first-class institution.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

I am not sure where the 2022 date for UT/OU to SEC came from. I saw a tweet with that timeline based on schools like A&M, Neb and Mizzou leaving the Big12. But I don't know if they were bound by same GOR language and years remaining on TV contract at that time.

I recall that after the NU/A&M/Mizzou debacle, our next media deal significantly increased the penalties for leaving. So no, those schools weren't subject to the same terms.

ETA: Thinking more about it, I believe at the time our current GOR was viewed as the most airtight due to the payments necessary for anyone who elected to leave. I think OU/UT are absolutely banking on:

1. The rest of the league panics and dissolves as members jump ship so they don't owe anything, or

2. They get money from the media companies, SEC and donors to pay for the penalties.

You have to think that abiding by the letter of the GOR would put a dent in even UT's wallet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron