What are you reading?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I should probably participate in the topic here:

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky) and am currently reading/almost finished with The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas).

On deck was Into Thin Air (Krakauer; I’ve read Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven), but I think I’m going to bump it for Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War (which I mentioned above).

Into thin air was a good read.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
How have I missed this thread until now? I am an avid reader and for crime fiction I have stumbled onto Jennifer Hillier. She is very good at the psychological/emotional aspect of crime. All her books are set in Seattle and/or Toronto (places she has lived). I don't want to put her books down once I get started on one. John Sanford is my #1 author in the crime genre though. He has 3-4 different series all set in MN.

Non-Fiction: I read a ton of finance/retirement/investing books. Best quick, general advice book in that area is "We're Talking Millions!". I bought a half dozen of this book for my kids and others. Great for younger people to read to set them in right direction. Short (2-3 hours) and concise.

I like William Kent Kruger his book are usually set in northern Mn. Have you read him are Sanford's book similar?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If anyone is looking for an epic High Fantasy series, really love Sanderson's Stormlight series. Words of Radiance has one of the more satisfying endings I've read in a while.

Madeline Miller has two incredible books, The Song of Achilles and Circe. Her take on ancient Greek mythology, expanding on characters she didn't think got a enough attention in, Achilles, Patroclus and Circe. Just wonderful writing. She writes battle as good as I've ever seen too.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I've been reading He Who Fights Monsters by Shirtaloon.

Nice easy fantasy / D&D / magic crossover book. A little wordy at time and is part of the litRPG category of books (which is new to me). Good characters, fun storylines, kind of reads like a video game. Bonus points for it being part Kindle Unlimited subscription.

I plowed through all 8 of the books in about a month or so.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I should probably participate in the topic here:

I just finished The Brothers Karamazov (Dostoevsky) and am currently reading/almost finished with The Count of Monte Cristo (Dumas).

On deck was Into Thin Air (Krakauer; I’ve read Into the Wild and Under the Banner of Heaven), but I think I’m going to bump it for Tower of Skulls: A History of the Asia-Pacific War (which I mentioned above).
Dostoevsky is my favorite writer. Dude will have arguments with himself for hours and you will be questioning your own opinions the entire time.

Dumas also so great. I've read, The Three Musketeers, The Count of Monte Cristo and The Man in the Iron Mask. All so good

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I am extremely late to the party it seems. I have never read anything by Stephen King. But, I just finished Pet Semetary and I loved it! It the best book I've read in the last few months.

Can someone give me any recommendations based on that? Maybe another one by King? Or, something else with similar vibes?
IT. Classic.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If anyone is looking for an epic High Fantasy series, really love Sanderson's Stormlight series. Words of Radiance has one of the more satisfying endings I've read in a while.

Madeline Miller has two incredible books, The Song of Achilles and Circe. Her take on ancient Greek mythology, expanding on characters she didn't think got a enough attention in, Achilles, Patroclus and Circe. Just wonderful writing. She writes battle as good as I've ever seen too.
Someone here recommended that, and the Stormlight Archive was probably the best fantasy I had read since I was a kid. Mistborn is excellent as well.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
View attachment 108346

"Between 1898 and 1912, families across the country were bludgeoned in their sleep with the blunt side of an axe. Jewelry and valuables were left in plain sight, bodies were piled together, faces covered with cloth. Some of these cases, like the infamous Villasca, Iowa, murders, received national attention. But few people believed the crimes were related. And fewer still would realize that all of these families lived within walking distance to a train station.

When celebrated baseball statistician and true crime expert Bill James first learned about these horrors, he began to investigate others that might fit the same pattern. Applying the same know-how he brings to his legendary baseball analysis, he empirically determined which crimes were committed by the same person. Then after sifting through thousands of local newspapers, court transcripts, and public records, he and his daughter Rachel made an astonishing discovery: they learned the true identity of this monstrous criminal. In turn, they uncovered one of the deadliest serial killers in America.

Riveting and immersive, with writing as sharp as the cold side of an axe, The Man from the Train paints a vivid, psychologically perceptive portrait of America at the dawn of the twentieth century, when crime was regarded as a local problem, and opportunistic private detectives exploited a dysfunctional judicial system. James shows how these cultural factors enabled such an unspeakable series of crimes to occur, and his groundbreaking approach to true crime will convince skeptics, amaze aficionados, and change the way we view criminal history."

Almost done with this book but I enjoyed it enough I wanted to shout it out again. It’s crazy I haven’t heard about any of this and how it relates to the Villasca murders before now.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Dante

Dec 23, 2015
I've been reading He Who Fights Monsters by Shirtaloon.

Nice easy fantasy / D&D / magic crossover book. A little wordy at time and is part of the litRPG category of books (which is new to me). Good characters, fun storylines, kind of reads like a video game. Bonus points for it being part Kindle Unlimited subscription.

I plowed through all 8 of the books in about a month or so.

I have these on my list to read. If you want some more litRPG, should check out Dungeon Crawler Carl and Life Reset.

I'm currently reading Brent Weeks Lightbringer series. Would recommend to anyone that is into the sci-fi fantasy genre.

Reactions: Sousaclone

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Almost done with this book but I enjoyed it enough I wanted to shout it out again. It’s crazy I haven’t heard about any of this and how it relates to the Villasca murders before now.
Great, I am glad you let me know I was curious how you would like it. It is quite the rabbit hole once you start reading it.

Really crazy when it gets put together how much it all fits together.

Reactions: Bigman38

Cyismymonkey

Jan 1, 2013
A couple of my favorites: The Red and the Black by Stendhal,
Bel-Ami by Maupassant.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
Almost finished with Becoming Kareem by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Great book about his upbringing and his cultural and racial awakening

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
  • Friendly

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Actually I’ve attempted to get into a Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child like 3 times in the last week, probably 10 pages in. Not great.

• Friendly
Reactions: amishclone