What are you reading?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Currently still in "The Devil in the White City". Once it got nice out, I started spending more time on my yard and doing outdoor things and its really knocked me off the pace I was on. I have 3 more books on deck and if I buy another one, my wife will kill me.

I liked The Devil in the White City a lot, but if I'm being honest it's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite Erik Larson book. The guy definitely has a style, but The Splendid and the Vile, In the Garden of Beasts, and Dead Wake are all better if you ask me.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I didn't like it as much as it was hyped. It's a decent story just not great.

I think The Three Body Problem is a type of Sci Fi that just isn't for me, at a high level. I didn't hate it but it is more in the vein of the the guy who writes the Martian, where I think he's actually more interested in the technology and how a thing would happen as opposed to actually telling a story. It's very hard sci fi. The Expanse series is about as hard as I get on sci fi, I'm kind of more of a space opera guy.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I just finished Beautiful World, Where Are You? by Sally Rooney, who is probably most known for writing Normal People. I weirdly kind of enjoy her books even though I don't actually buy in to their worldview.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I’d love to read more…. when does everyone find time? Most probably do it before bed, but I can only get through a couple pages usually and I’m out. It would take me forever to get through a book.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I’d love to read more…. when does everyone find time? Most probably do it before bed, but I can only get through a couple pages usually and I’m out. It would take me forever to get through a book.
I start reading about an hour before I go to bed and continue 15-30 minutes in bed until I'm ready to sleep.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
I liked The Devil in the White City a lot, but if I'm being honest it's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite Erik Larson book. The guy definitely has a style, but The Splendid and the Vile, In the Garden of Beasts, and Dead Wake are all better if you ask me.
I picked up The Splendid and the Vile the other day. It’s on my pile of books I need to read next.

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021
I think The Three Body Problem is a type of Sci Fi that just isn't for me, at a high level. I didn't hate it but it is more in the vein of the the guy who writes the Martian, where I think he's actually more interested in the technology and how a thing would happen as opposed to actually telling a story. It's very hard sci fi. The Expanse series is about as hard as I get on sci fi, I'm kind of more of a space opera guy.

Yeah, that must be my jam. I loved project hail Mary as well. I don't think I have ever read a space opera. What should I try first?

JustAnotherTimeline

Jul 29, 2021

About half the books I "read" are audiobooks. I read before bed like most but I like to pepper in audio throughout the day.

For example today, I went on a jog, am smoking a pork butt, doing a little yard work, and painting our bedroom. I will probably take down a whole book today during all of these activities, audio style.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yeah, that must be my jam. I loved project hail Mary as well. I don't think I have ever read a space opera. What should I try first?

Perfect example. I got about halfway through Project Hail Mary and gave it up. Just not my thing.

Honestly probably Dune, The Expanse, Hyperion, Ringworld, something like that.

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Just saw yesterday that Keanu Reeves is signed to star in the streaming series Devil in the White City with Scorcese and DiCaprio producing. Not sure how I feel about Reeves. It was originally going to be a feature film directed by Scorcese and staring Leo.

Cyghhh

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 18, 2022
Rereading The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman and impatiently waiting to see how they are going to translate this crazy book to TV.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Been reading the sci-fi Murderboot series by Martha Wells. Think it was suggested by someone here but couldn't find who via a search. Liking it but the books are pretty short and not cheap on Kindle so signed up for Unlimited for a couple months to get thought the series for the same cost as one book (had a special going). Unblimited is okay if you find a series you like but pickings only justify a couple months and than cancel for me. And off to do my presleep reading ;)

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Maybe some David Weber? Mutineer's Moon or if you get real ambitious try the safehold series.

Safehold is one of my all time favorites but it looks as though he may be making like George RR Martin and stopping before he's done. If a series has you begging for book #12 that means it's good, right? :)

Reactions: JustAnotherTimeline

8thfloor

Aug 3, 2021
I’m the exact opposite. Loved Devil in the white city but the others I don’t know are maybe too detailed? Never read Isaacs storm might try that.