What if "Money" doesn't come to ISU?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Post of the week!

Indeed? A post demonstrating absolute ignorance is a post of the week?!!

Personally, I couldn't care less if $$ comes to ISU.

I do, however, care about someone making insulting and ignorant comments about a recruit when he and his family are on campus.

If he does, fine. If he doesn't, fine. We'll fill the receiver spot with someone as good if not better and hopefully a 4 year player.

First point of ignorance. Where is this magical "someone" going to come from? Oh, certainly, perhaps in the '10 class, but not anyone who'll be on the field next season.

I think our receiver recruiting, and skill position recruiting overall, has been very good and will never be the reason why we're a bad football team.

Second point of ignorance. Yes, our receiver recruiting has been "good". However, Money Reynolds is a special player, a cut above.

I think a lot of people are setting themselves and $$ up for a JJ Bass moment if he does come.

JJ Bass was a good player, at a time when we desperately needed a running back. Indeed, he's shown flashes, and more than flashes, but I don't think it's his athletic ability that has kept him derailed. At best, a case of apples and oranges.

Money appears to be a good athlete who has never played receiver, but projects there because he's not good enough at QB.

Points of ignorance #3 and #4. First off, Money has played wide receiver parts of the last two years, most especially at the end of this season, apparently because he plans to go to a school with an established quarterback (hmm. I wonder where that could be?).

Which makes the second point entirely asinine, because Money is sacrificing his dream of playing quarterback partially because Austen Arnaud has established himself as he quarterback and team leader, and pressing for the job would only cause strife--not because he "isn't good enough".

With no offense meant, there are buttload of these types of players out there.

All right. Show me a buttload. Even better, show me one--with current interest in ISU.

Just because his brother posts on this board and gives us some background we wouldn't otherwise be privy to, doesn't make him a better prospect.

Point of ignorance #5. It's his ability, or, of you prefer, his video that makes him a special player. If you want it explained simply, he's Leonard Johnson six inches taller and a tick faster. Iowa State hasn't exactly had a "buttload" of those.

I also wonder what the purpose of City posting here is. He seems to be building a lot of expectations for his brother right now and I can't for the life of me figure out why that would be.

This doesn't seem terribly complicated. He likes the fanbase and enthusiasm here on CF, and is happily sharing details with us, fans of a place where he wouldn't mind seeing his brother play. He's said that before, however, I'm not terribly surprised you haven't picked up on it.

If he has other offers right now, I'd be interested in hearing this from The City. If he doesn't, I'd be interested in hearing why that may be.

The simple answer seems to be that it's none of your business. Obviously the family has chosen to keep a number of details of Money's recruiting private, rather than splashing it all over the internet, and I'll happily respect their decision.

I'm with ISUFan22 on this one. A receiver who has never played the position isn't going to turn our program around.

Both of you amply demonstrating your ignorance. First, as mentioned before, Money has played receiver--which should entirely dispel the argument. Second, Michael Crabtree had never played wide receiver before going to Texas Tech. He seems to be doing all right. Thirdly, Darius Darks had "never played wide receiver" before coming to ISU. Fourthly, Leonard Johnson had never played cornerback before coming to ISU--and yet is decidedly an impact player--who will continure to improve. Do I really need to keep going? So neither of you knows what you're talking about.

That's even aside from the fact that Money Reynolds isn't being recruited as someone who can "turn our program around"--he's being recruited as someone who can make the program better. As all of Gene Chizik's recruits are.

If he scoffs at the thought of being a 3rd receiver as his brother does, I question if he'll fit in.

Funny. It never occurred to you that his brother "scoffed" at the idea of Money being a "third receiver", because it was in a scoffing, insulting context in the first place? Or that, unlike you, he has actually seen his brother play, and has some idea of his abilities, and therefore confidence in him?!!!

Be that as it may, if he comes and works hard, is a good teammate and student, I'll take him.
:biglaugh::biglaugh:
Fortunately, it's not up to you, I'm reasonably sure, to decide to "take him". And what has given you any idea that he doesn't "work hard, is a good teammate and student"?

Nothing like trying to cover your *** after thoroughly insulting a player and his family up and down the line.

Reactions: isuno1fan

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm with C2theB on this one, mostly. I'd
Like to get $, but I don't see him being the savior many seem to delusionally believe him to be. A defensive line would be a savior to this team.

And I await another homeristic post from Aclone.

Sock it to me, baby!

TheCity - hope you enjoyed your stay...it's not ALWAYS this cold here...

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
No single person is "the savior". It takes a team to win. I think most will acknowledge that.

However, Money may have many of the intangibles that help the team win and for that we would love to have him here at ISU.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Aclone---you're stretching at best.

I won't get all fancy with the cut/pastes that you do, though.

If $ is a cut above the rest, why no other offers listed at all, from anyone that I've seen? Did we just stumble upon this 4-star in the rough?

I never insulted him or his family. If you interpret it that way, you certainly have that right.

His video was ok, at least the one I saw that someone linked here. It didn't make me explode in my pants as you apparently did. I wonder about the competition in the videos as I do with all JUCO's.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
No single person is "the savior". It takes a team to win. I think most will acknowledge that.

However, Money may have many of the intangibles that help the team win and for that we would love to have him here at ISU.
He does have that. :)

But so did Bass.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
Anyone that thinks any one player is the savior or is a guaranteed star player is crazy.

In the same vein, anyone who doesn't want as many highly-rated, great "numbers" guys (40 time, height, weight, etc) may be even more crazy.

I really hope Money enjoyed his visit and decides to play for the good guys. We need more playmakers on our offense.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Wow, you seem a little disgruntled about his recruitment. It would be foolish and a futile effort for me to talk about that stuff on this website. But understand that he's well worth the price of admission. A #3 WR? Wow, okay.

If he can catch the ball, he will be the #1 WR next year.

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I'm with C2theB on this one, mostly.

I'm willing to bet you threw-up in your mouth when you typed that.

:biggrin:

The likelihood of you and I both being wrong on a subject has to be astronomical, since we're both at complete opposite ends of the spectrum in essentially everything that's ever happened since the dawn of time.

Maybe we're both just that wrong. I'd eat crow on this one with pleasure.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I'm with C2theB on this one, mostly. I'd Like to get $, but I don't see him being the savior many seem to delusionally believe him to be.

I'm going to look through the posts to see just who thinks that Money would be a "savior". I don't think I've seen one yet.

A defensive line would be a savior to this team.

Again illustrating your ignorance, on a number of fronts. Not the least because no one player will be a "savior".

And I await another homeristic post from Aclone.

Homeristic? Because I object to people insulting potential Cyclones? Or being wrong?

Sock it to me, baby!

What makes you think you're worth it? after all, that's what gets trolls' rocks off--and you're being a troll.

TheCity - hope you enjoyed your stay...it's not ALWAYS this cold here...

Nothing "homeristic" there. Through the winter it's usually colder. Duh.

Y'know, it's one thing to be honest and say "I don't want to get my hopes up, because I've been disappointed before". But to actually manufacture reasons from nothing to be dismissive, scoffing and insulting--that's just plain wrong.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm going to look through the posts to see just who thinks that Money would be a "savior". I don't think I've seen one yet.

Again illustrating your ignorance, on a number of fronts. Not the least because no one player will be a "savior".

Homeristic? Because I object to people insulting potential Cyclones? Or being wrong?

What makes you think you're worth it? after all, that's what gets trolls' rocks off--and you're being a troll.

Nothing "homeristic" there. Through the winter it's usually colder. Duh.

Y'know, it's one thing to be honest and say "I don't want to get my hopes up, because I've been disappointed before". But to actually manufacture reasons from nothing to be dismissive, scoffing and insulting--that's just plain wrong.

Golly, yer so cute.

A defensive line wouldn't be the savior for the team, eh? If we had one - it's likely we're bowling this year. And I've got someone I know well on the current unit.

I can be a realistic fan - knowing full well we'd lose yesterday. Oh wait, that classifies me as a troll in the land of lunacy. Me forgot.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Golly, yer so cute.

A defensive line wouldn't be the savior for the team, eh? If we had one - it's likely we're bowling this year. And I've got someone I know well on the current unit..

Hah! With our safety play?

Besides which, my comment was based on available talent. Here are the zrivals rankings, for those interested in ISU. Out of all of them, who would you consider a "savior"? Sure, there are some good players, but no "savior". Please, go ahead, pick and choose to your heart's delight. :skeptical:

2009 College Football Positions: Quick List

I can be a realistic fan - knowing full well we'd lose yesterday. Oh wait, that classifies me as a troll in the land of lunacy. Me forgot

Knowing we'd lose--and revelling in it--is the difference between being a fan, and being a troll. I'm sorry that you don't understand that difference.

It's kinda funny if you think that I consider Money a "savior". As clearly mentioned in other threads, I don't even consider him one of our two most important recruits--even on offense. That would be James Carpenter--who isn't a savior either, but is important.

However, Money is clearly a very good player who could make this team better.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
A better defensive line could most certainly be the difference and cover up poor safety play. Pressure on the QB is like an amazing thing - magical even.

And I'm most certainly not reveling in our loss - but sometimes some humor helps the pain. I don't resort to spin and homorism to dull it.

ISU_Alum_2000

All-Star
Oct 21, 2006
Aliso Viejo, CA
What is the problem here, gentlemen?

We have a talented kid who, along with his family, appears to be interested in ISU. I don't see anyone saying he is a "savior" or anything like that.

Why would we do anything but welcome the Reynolds family to Ames, encourage Darius to join the ISU program, and wait and see if he can help contribute to the team?

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
Obviously one important intangible that JJ lacked was "going to class".

Why was $ at a juco and is he eligible now?

This is the only thing I can think of as to why a 4-star receiver has no other known offers.

Also, I'll just come out and say it since you already accused me of insulting the family, is The City living vicariously through his brother, much like far too many fathers do w/their son?

Or, Is The City actually $$??

:wink:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
A better defensive line could most certainly be the difference and cover up poor safety play. Pressure on the QB is like an amazing thing - magical even.
Have you even watched any of the games? Sure, pressure helps, but all the pressure in the world is going to make a difference to blown coverage, wide open receivers and nonexistent tackling.

And I'm most certainly not reveling in our loss - but sometimes some humor helps the pain.
Sure it does. Unfortunately, saying that Missouri was going to have a great day before the game wasn't remotely funny.

I don't resort to spin and homorism to dull it.

No, you just accuse everyone else of spin and homerism. Just another way to denigrate their opnions.

Back on topic, I would love for Money to come to ISU. I think he has the talent to be a difference maker--which is not a "savior", since some people seem to have problems with even less than subtle distinctions. However, if for some reason he doesn't, he doesn't. we'll still have a good offense next year. Just not as good as it might have been, with a playmaker like Money.

And I fail to see how such a statement could be considered even remotely "spun" or "homeristic'.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Clone2TheBone - you are truly tiring. It's one thing to be critical and think things through, but that is entirely different than being perpetually negative.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Have you even watched any of the games? Sure, pressure helps, but all the pressure in the world is going to make a difference to blown coverage, wide open receivers and nonexistent tackling.

Sure it does. Unfortunately, saying that Missouri was going to have a great day before the game wasn't remotely funny.

No, you just accuse everyone else of spin and homerism. Just another way to denigrate their opnions.

Back on topic, I would love for Money to come to ISU. I think he has the talent to be a difference maker--which is not a "savior", since some people seem to have problems with even less than subtle distinctions. However, if for some reason he doesn't, he doesn't. we'll still have a good offense next year. Just not as good as it might have been, with a playmaker like Money.

And I fail to see how such a statement could be considered even remotely "spun" or "homeristic'.

I've seen every game except for the Kent State game. What about you? :dull:

The games/quarters in which we got pressure on the QB - we played damn well. First half against KU is a perfect example. Same safeties played the first half and the second half. The big difference was we didn't pressure the QB in the 2nd half. I've said many times our safeties need a serious upgrade - but our defensive line is much worse.

And I'm not accusing everyone of homerism/spin. Just the one person that is better at it than our former coach was.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I see that people are fine with not getting a commitment from a guy that the staff wants. Interesting logic.

Call fans ingorant for thinking he's a savior(I haven't seen this attitude) but don't disrespect a recruit that the staff wants. it's classless. Not to mention that his brother posts here in a classy manner.

Reactions: djkent01

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Agree with Cydkar. The B12 if an offensive league right now, and a difference maker like MOney could change things dramatically. I'll defer to the coaches and their long term vision on this one.