What if "Money" doesn't come to ISU?

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
I know there are a lot of guys that feel there is a "youth movement" and I agree, good for the future, but really a hard thing to do. I know some of the guys that will be Seniors next year feel as if the staff doesnt want them to be here. This coaching staff is in your face, Were going to play this guy because he has this ability, and were going to play guys with a winning mentality. Guys like Darius Reynolds

Reactions: Aclone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Frustrating thing is, there is always a story/excuse at ISU. We couldn't beat FSU because of a bad call. We lost to Alabama because of a bad call. Missed FGs against Mizzu, KU, etc. Lost to Michigan State in MBB because of bad calls.

We've always got a story...

Yeah, like when a little used running back takes back a punt to win a bowl game in Phoenix. That's a story, too. You seem to have a selective memory.

So, pick another team, then. Nothing's stopping you. The whining gets old.

This coaching staff is in your face, Were going to play this guy because he has this ability, and were going to play guys with a winning mentality. Guys like Darius Reynolds

Rep +1 to you.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
The reality of it is, We have a stable full of good backs, and a suspect MAC line. JJ Bass, in a deep Chizik doghouse, and hobbled by injuries, Struggled to ever come out. But when he DID have his chances. He did good, he did the best he could in his circumstances. The guy has fought all adversity this year, hasnt played much, and has so much love for Iowa State University. Star or not, JJ Bass is a guy i want on my team. So is Darius Reynolds

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I agree with 33 about Bass. I don't know the behind the scene circumstances, but I'm a fan of his. We didn't get the production we thought we might, but the guy is a football player.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
It's not that I care about other peoples' expectations, it's that I think they're not too bright for having them.

I chose to word it more gently. I think ISUFan22 did the same.

How many people came on here when we got Johnson last year and said, OMG, can you imagine him and RJ on the field at the same time??!!! He'll contribute immediately...he has the measurables already...it's going to be incredible...or something along those lines. Johnson has 16 catches this year.

How many people exploded w/glee when they read JJ Bass' facebook or whatever the kids call it where he said ISU and JJ were gonna shock the world or something close to that? He was gonna set the world on fire. He would be lucky to rush for 200 yards this year.

The problem with these can't miss players that we create in our minds is that they usually don't end up panning out. We build them up into something that they can't attain.

In this case, I think it's the case of a cool nickname and a PR campaign by his brother. He could end up being great, but like I said with Bass, I'll believe it when I see it on the field.
So help me understand -- and I really mean this -- what is your philosphy on recruiting? It seems like you just want to ignore it and instead concentrate on the reality of what you see on the field. Is that accurate? It looks like you don't want to get overly excited about anyone so instead prefer to temper your expectations and wait for reality. Is there any recruit you want? Or any recruit you would be excited to get?

To which I say (if I'm fairly accurate) great! My next question is this -- why can't you let people who DO get excited about it have some good clean fun? People may JOKE about jumping off a cliff, but really it's more like playing the lottery. You get excited about the unknown, support the current coaching staff & their recruiting efforts, and wait to see what happens on the field. Sure some people take it too far (so-and-so will be the saviour of our team) and will live an emotional roller coaster, but if that's the way they're wired . . .

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Frustrating thing is, there is always a story/excuse at ISU. We couldn't beat FSU because of a bad call. We lost to Alabama because of a bad call. Missed FGs against Mizzu, KU, etc. Lost to Michigan State in MBB because of bad calls.

We've always got a story...

So whats your story? Since you seem to know how to coach and recruit why are you coaching little kids and not D-1?

Reactions: cybsball20

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I can toss a little kid into a tree when he talks back. But we're not talking about me here, are we?

Typical...

Well you said "we've always got a story", so I was just curious what you story was on why your coaching experience and sweet eye for recruiting hasn't landed you a D-1 job yet.

Reactions: d4nim4l

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
It's not that I care about other peoples' expectations, it's that I think they're not too bright for having them.

I chose to word it more gently. I think ISUFan22 did the same.

How many people came on here when we got Johnson last year and said, OMG, can you imagine him and RJ on the field at the same time??!!! He'll contribute immediately...he has the measurables already...it's going to be incredible...or something along those lines. Johnson has 16 catches this year.

How many people exploded w/glee when they read JJ Bass' facebook or whatever the kids call it where he said ISU and JJ were gonna shock the world or something close to that? He was gonna set the world on fire. He would be lucky to rush for 200 yards this year.

The problem with these can't miss players that we create in our minds is that they usually don't end up panning out. We build them up into something that they can't attain.

In this case, I think it's the case of a cool nickname and a PR campaign by his brother. He could end up being great, but like I said with Bass, I'll believe it when I see it on the field.

I remember severaj JUC players that came in and changed things, and had all the hype. Seneca Wallace , Dwayne Cruthchfield, etc. I also remember those that didn't fare so well. But, IMO, Money seems to be the real thing. If he gets here, I'm betting on him.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
If Money didn't come here that would be a huge loss. All you people who don't think one guy in football can make a huge difference are crazy.

See Seneca Wallace. Funny the year after he leaves ISU returns 40 of their top 48, yet goes 2-10 and wasn't even compeitive in about 8-9 of those games.

We need guys like Money desperately. He has size, speed, and playmaking ability. Really looking forward to him next fall.

Seneca touched the ball on every play. A WR gets 0-7 touches/game. Big difference

Reactions: ISUFan22

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
If Money didn't come here that would be a huge loss. All you people who don't think one guy in football can make a huge difference are crazy.

See Seneca Wallace. Funny the year after he leaves ISU returns 40 of their top 48, yet goes 2-10 and wasn't even compeitive in about 8-9 of those games.

We need guys like Money desperately. He has size, speed, and playmaking ability. Really looking forward to him next fall.

wow! i hadn't ever heard that stat before, if that is true, it just makes his accomplishments that much more impressive.

although a qb impact player is much different than a great wide receiver. a receiver can go a game with only 4 or 5 touches. an impact player at qb can get 60 different chances to make plays

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
although a qb impact player is much different than a great wide receiver. a receiver can go a game with only 4 or 5 touches. an impact player at qb can get 60 different chances to make plays

I agree with that BUT a truly dangerous receiver has to be accounted for on every play and possibly double teamed regardless of whether or not he touches the ball.