When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 132 18.1%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 173 23.7%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 375 51.4%

• Total voters

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
But the city-driving IT workers comprise like 90% of truck buyers. Not Cybertrucks, but all trucks. You're more likely to see a 4 door truck hauling nothing more than the driver than you are hauling anything that REQUIRES a truck. #minivanlife

'Merica!

Me in a parking lot with pickups and SUV's with model names like Mt. Vesuvius or Leviathan XL.

1713047091186.png

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
People laughing at both drivers in this case.

1. The Tesla driver is an idiot Karen living under a rock.
2. The Rivian driver purchased a NACS to J1772 adapter and thought he could fast charge with it.

Reactions: simply1

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
People laughing at both drivers in this case.

1. The Tesla driver is an idiot Karen living under a rock.
2. The Rivian driver purchased a NACS to J1772 adapter and thought he could fast charge with it.
You saying it takes a "special" person to own an EV?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

There’s no legal protection for those signs. If a non-Tesla parks there, what’s the cops going to do? The most that could be done is for the property owner to tow the offending vehicle. Either way, I would have told the Tesla owner that I’ll wait for the cops with him.

But, if it requires you to take up 2 spots, that does seem like a problem. And I’m surprised that Tesla opened their chargers up without resolution of that.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
There’s no legal protection for those signs. If a non-Tesla parks there, what’s the cops going to do? The most that could be done is for the property owner to tow the offending vehicle. Either way, I would have told the Tesla owner that I’ll wait for the cops with him.

But, if it requires you to take up 2 spots, that does seem like a problem. And I’m surprised that Tesla opened their chargers up without resolution of that.
This happens all the time, not just to Tesla chargers. Usually the same people that "roll coal", also find it funny to park an ICE vehicle in a charger location. People also find it funny to unhook chargers and key EV's because....I don't know...maybe they hate Elon or love the gas industry. Keep in mind that 99% of the people are not ********, it's the 1%.

In this case, it was legit, in most it's not.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
This happens all the time, not just to Tesla chargers. Usually the same people that "roll coal", also find it funny to park an ICE vehicle in a charger location. People also find it funny to unhook chargers and key EV's because....I don't know...maybe they hate Elon or love the gas industry. Keep in mind that 99% of the people are not ********, it's the 1%.

In this case, it was legit, in most it's not.

To the parking ICE vehicles in charging spots, maybe there needs to be legal protections for these spots. In this case, those signs are put up by Tesla. Maybe we need state laws to put up legal signs similar to handicapped parking. Ultimately, these spots are a business and having ICE cars park there does hurt business. You can’t count on the property owner to care enough to remove the cars via towing. But a $50-$100 fine might make a point.

Reactions: VeloClone

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I've seen the prices for the self driving components Deere is using for the autonomous tractors and they aren't cheap. They aren't using standard video cameras like your back-up camera to enable self driving plus there are several nvidea or similar gpus needed and likely a seperate controller. The part cost is in the $1000's for everything.

Doesn’t there almost have to be a radar component to this as well?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
To the parking ICE vehicles in charging spots, maybe there needs to be legal protections for these spots. In this case, those signs are put up by Tesla. Maybe we need state laws to put up legal signs similar to handicapped parking. Ultimately, these spots are a business and having ICE cars park there does hurt business. You can’t count on the property owner to care enough to remove the cars via towing. But a $50-$100 fine might make a point.
Probably more closely related to shopping centers where there are signs designating spots for patrons of a specific business. Only recourse would likely be towing the vehicle, not a ticket from law enforcement.

Handicap spots are protected under state law, which is why you can get a ticket.

Agree with your point though that I doubt Hyvee or a gas station would care enough to tow a vehicle from an EV spot.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Probably more closely related to shopping centers where there are signs designating spots for patrons of a specific business. Only recourse would likely be towing the vehicle, not a ticket from law enforcement.

Handicap spots are protected under state law, which is why you can get a ticket.

Agree with your point though that I doubt Hyvee or a gas station would care enough to tow a vehicle from an EV spot.
Hy-Vee does it the right way. They usually put the chargers(tesla ones) far away from the stores, so no one has an urge to park in those spots. If you take those spots in an ICE vehicle, you're truly being a douche.

As far as Tesla chargers and vehicles taking up two spots. Yes, this is an issue but all new Tesla chargers have the longer cables, which support charging from either side (think Costco gas pumps).

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

That’s what I am saying, should EV charging spots be reserved under state law? Is parking an ICE vehicle there a form of theft for preventing the charger from making money?

Reactions: VeloClone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
To be clear, I think Iowa nice comes into play here. I've never seen a non EV parked in one of these spots. I think you're actually more likely to see an EV parked in one of these spots and not charging, which is the absolute worse. I haven't seen that in Iowa either.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
A friend of mine works in an office building and the Tesla owners working there would hang out together like they are part of a club. It has gotten a bit better as more people started owning Teslas/EVs but it was really annoying for a while.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Doesn’t there almost have to be a radar component to this as well?
Depends on the system and the intended application. There's a healthy mix of GPS guidance, machine vision and lidar and how the system works depends largely on the crop that's involved. A row crop tractor doing work in a wide open field needs a very different solution than a sprayer running up and down an orchard for example. Guss sprayers are a vary cool piece of autonomous equipment that you use an xbox controller to get on and off the trailer then you fill it up with water and chemicals and turn it loose in your orchard.

• Informative
Reactions: Gunnerclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
This is a good idea from Rivian. It's unfortunate that companies like Electrify America have made this a necessity. Imagine Google having to rate gas pumps.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
This is a good idea from Rivian. It's unfortunate that companies like Electrify America have made this a necessity. Imagine Google having to rate gas pumps.

A lot regulations around gas pumps for obvious reasons, it will be interesting to see if charging stations can clean up their own act.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Google has announced new features in its Maps app designed to help electric-car drivers find a charge. The updates include a tool to help drivers find nearby chargers with real-time information about availability and charging speed, the ability to find charging stops on longer road trips and more detailed instructions about how to find chargers within parking lots and garages. - Washington Post