Where Iowa State might turn to find an offensive coordinator replacement

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Where Iowa State might turn to find a replacement for its vacant offensive coordinator position:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
In-house, seems like the way to continue continuity with last fall's offense. Given, of course, the individual promoted has the necessary skills.

In House or Out House (heh) the way to go?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
An unlikely option, but would Jason Candle be interested? He has had success at Toledo, but right now, HCs aren't being hired out of the MAC. Maybe he needs to move to OC at a bigger program to get the bigger HC job, and doing under a guy that he has worked with in the past could be a good fit.
Candle had an 11 game win streak last season, finished 11-3 (last two losses postseason) and was named in connection with some bigger jobs.

Not sure what he has coming back, but guessing he won’t step down to an OC job.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This is kind of a depressing list not going to lie.
I’m not sure why it would be. There’s nothing that says that these are the only candidates. These are just the ones where it’s easiest to connect the dots. And I kinda feel like a couple of them aren’t even going to be serious candidates.

Besides. CMC knows a lot is riding on this season.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Id like to see Clanton or Zimbrowski, at least from the names in this thread. No Gordon...yuk. i am probably wrong, but didn't him and Campbell fill in when Manning left abruptly for the nfl???

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Candle had an 11 game win streak last season, finished 11-3 (last two losses postseason) and was named in connection with some bigger jobs.

Not sure what he has coming back, but guessing he won’t step down to an OC job.
I generally agree, he seems like he should get a HC job at what was the P5 level. But all of the programs where he would be looked at as a fit already turned over in the last few years. Indiana, Syracuse, Mich St, Purdue, Louisville, Boston College, etc. He keeps being in the also considered category.

It seems to be the new reality that P5 programs don't want to take chances on MAC/Sun Belt/ CUSA head coaches. The trend has been that guys at that level need to go be coordinators at bigger programs, or go through AAC/MW head coach jobs.

I'm sure we would never hear a word of it, but I hope Campbell at least reached out to gauge interest.

CycloneSpinning

Mar 31, 2022
Would have been interested in Dino Babers, but I see he signed with Arizona.

What about a guy like Joe Bleymaier?

Last edited: