Where Iowa State might turn to find an offensive coordinator replacement

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Interesting. I don't pay attention to UNI football. He must have had some sort of leadership oversight of the offense even if he didn't call the plays. I don't want him as OC; he has his hands full with the line as it is (managing a room of 25 linemen is more difficult than 4 quarterbacks).

I've warmed to the idea of Gordon. He was very good under first year HC Alex Golesh. He wouldn't come back if he knew that Campbell would try to meddle with things. However, I think we lose a couple of coaches in the future due to that move.
He was given the title to get him more money to keep him for an extra year. It wasn't his offense, he didn't call plays. Probably helped with some run game schemes but he was an OC in name only.

He's not ready and I don't know if his personality is even really suited to be a coordinator. He's in the spot he should be in.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Candle would be a good hire but I don't think he leaves a HC job for that. Not really sure what the options are though? Pretty late in the year.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Williams and Blum hinted that Mouser and Gordon may be the current favorites. Chris all but said inside the program Mouser is viewed the same way that Scheelhaase was - star in the making that will get an opportunity soon whether its at ISU or somewhere else.
I would have Isphording as the most likely from their list. Gordon would be the second guy only because he may have grown to like south Florida weather.

Reactions: Bluffers

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
If Mouser (or another internal candidate) is the OC, wouldn't we still need to fill a QB coach? Regardless of the OC, I'd be curious who rounds out the staff

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Reactions: t-noah

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Reactions: Cyclonetothebone

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I feel like Kempt is a QB coach in waiting
When I heard that Waters was supposed to be filling the open RB spot, I couldn’t help but think that CMC would have preferred Coach Nate wait another year or two—to shuffle the interior candidates around having a bit more experience, and give Kyle an opening, too.

Well, if it works now, it works.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
With Campbell's re-hire of Kratch and elevating Waters, it would really surprise me if he doesn't follow the same pattern with the new OC. He's definitely a coach who likes to develop & promote known quantities. Testament to his relationship with his current/former staff.

Reactions: wintersmd