Yes it needs its own thread… Mad Fran

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Tim Floyd went nuts on refs al the time, Johnny did too, so did Larry...people act like Fran is unique, it's par for the course.
How many of them were suspended due to their behaviors? You can make arguments about historical standards changing and such, but Franny Pants is not "par for the course".

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
How many of them were suspended due to their behaviors? You can make arguments about historical standards changing and such, but Franny Pants is not "par for the course".

Eustachy resigned (fired) twice for horrible behavior, or do we not count that because it wasn’t on the court, and just for being an crappy person?

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Eustachy resigned (fired) twice for horrible behavior, or do we not count that because it wasn’t on the court, and just for being an crappy person?

Of course it counts. But this thread has been discussing on-court behavior. I didn't choose that.

And Larry WAS fired. Franny Pants gets secret extensions.

If you want to observe off the court behavior, lets talk about Franny and Margezilla getting thrown out of games they attended as parents because of ridiculous behavior. I suppose that is par for the course in your book, too.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’ll counter with, Campbell doesn’t have access those things to throw, but he has chucked his headset before which is as close as you can get as a football coach. Also Frans freak out the other day was a completely missed call (10 seconds in the backcourt). I’ll be honest, I don’t watch Iowa pretty much at all so I don’t know if his freak outs are justified, but it seems like if you ask Hawkeye fans they will say they are because of bad calls, just like how many of us defend Campbell.

Their personalities are not as much of a difference as some would like to make it out to be.
I watched it, it was not a missed call. The clock shows 29 when it has 29.9 seconds. So when it reads 20 it is between 9.1 and 10 seconds. You basically have to have it click 19 which would be 10.1 seconds to be certain that it hit 10 seconds. Clock read 20 aka less than 10 when it was caught.

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
As I lament the OU home loss and question the lack of coaching against such a poor team, I turn over to iowas game to see Fran mccaffrey spending a timeout uncomfortably staring down a referee. Just an absurd display by a top representative of that university. This is of course after he already received a technical for word choice.

Man it could be so much worse, and what Iowa has is flat embarrassing. Fran Mccaffrey is the university of Iowa. Gross.
So you have forgot Larry E standing in the middle of the floor during a time out staring down officials?

Reactions: Cyclone06

Bob f

Nov 9, 2019
Iowa
The most ridiculous part of all this is the fact that Iowa fans and media members are trying to justify this whole immature situation by saying “The players responded to this, they went on to win!”

As if your head coach blankly staring at an official for 30 seconds while the team sits in the huddle doing nothing, not getting coached, implored them to make 5 straight 3s and score 23 points in 90 seconds. What a joke.
Everything at iowa city is absurdly weird. Its kind of like how inflation is so high, but every other vehicle i pass on the road is $70,000 plus. It just keeps going, no rhyme, no reason.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I watched it, it was not a missed call. The clock shows 29 when it has 29.9 seconds. So when it reads 20 it is between 9.1 and 10 seconds. You basically have to have it click 19 which would be 10.1 seconds to be certain that it hit 10 seconds. Clock read 20 aka less than 10 when it was caught.

You’re right. I apologize, I never actually watched the play, just saw the aftermath. But from what everyone that I heard or saw respond about it made it seem like it was a no brainer. Should have looked at it myself. Has to be on the 19 on the shot clock before it’s a 10 second violation.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did he get a T for it? Because he should have.
For me, if the coach is in his box or in his huddle and wants to stare at the ref, no biggie if they leave the huddle and walk towards the ref and just stare, that is when it borders on T level. I don’t remember the instance that the one poster mentioned about Larry, but if he called a TO and left the huddle or coaching box to stare down the ref then he should have been hit.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For me, if the coach is in his box or in his huddle and wants to stare at the ref, no biggie if they leave the huddle and walk towards the ref and just stare, that is when it borders on T level. I don’t remember the instance that the one poster mentioned about Larry, but if he called a TO and left the huddle or coaching box to stare down the ref then he should have been hit.

Yeah I don't care about coaches getting into refs and I'm sure all sorts of stuff goes on from the bench.

Larry absolutely deserved Ts.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Fran is the only coach I’ve ever heard referred to as Mad (insert coaches name).

When Iowa hired him, their catch phrase was, Lets get Mad Again. They knew his craziness.