Mascot Challenge -- ISU vs. Michigan St.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
cheating also ruins the spirit of competition.

I have no problem with you guys beating us fair and square. In fact, I didn't get into it this week (I was all voted out from the Wyoming thing and I've had a lot of work). Just didn't have the time... would've voted more if I could've.

But you have to understand that if I see someone admitting to cheating, it will bother me, just like it would bother you if someone on our board said "I rigged computers to vote 500 times per minute!! woo hooo!!!"

You know it would really bother you.

Matter of fact is, this guy is a real ISU person... with over 200 friends from ISU on facebook... and your comeback happened at an alarming rate... your lead similarly grew ridiculously...

and all of this happened while neither our people OR your people could vote.

Tell me if that's not "fishy," to say the least.

I agree arfarbe. However, I'll combine my last two posts here. He never claimed to be voting for ISU, perhaps he was hoping CBS would see it and get you guys DQ'd? Perhaps he sent an email suggesting as such? Also, I think that when you guys were mounting your horses to make that valiant comeback earlier this week, that was when none of use could vote. Looking back, that seems to be what happened. There were a few posts asking "is anybody even voting?" as you crept up on us and took the lead. However, with how seriously both of our fans have taken this poll, we shouldn't be against each other just yet. We should be fighting for the "Title," not to get there. CBS is the same thing as the Curiously Bi-sexual Sydicate. (F.U. CBS!)

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
iI'm also curious how someone with the most rudimentary of spelling and grammatical ability could 'hook two computers together' on order to vote more efficiently. I really don't see how this could work. Perhaps one of our computer science majors could elaborate on how this is even possible. It's not like clearing a logjam down on the river- you can't just chain two computers together and smash your way through the slow parts of the internet...

Sounds to me like some jockstrap is trying to look macho and be everyone's savior, despite the fact that he hasn't done anything out of the ordinary.

exactly. i bet the kid has barely even voted, and just trying to look cool for all his facebook friends.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

I have no problem with you guys beating us fair and square. In fact, I didn't get into it this week (I was all voted out from the Wyoming thing and I've had a lot of work). Just didn't have the time... would've voted more if I could've.

But you have to understand that if I see someone admitting to cheating, it will bother me, just like it would bother you if someone on our board said "I rigged computers to vote 500 times per minute!! woo hooo!!!"

Matter of fact is, this guy is a real ISU person... with over 200 friends from ISU on facebook... and your comeback happened at an alarming rate... your lead similarly grew ridiculously...

And you have to realize that I totally understand what you are saying. But the fact is no matter who is behind, we are going to say each other is cheating. I think it would be BS for us to get disqualified because a fellow student of mine who I have never met decided to be a ______ in this competition. Just because someone admitted it trying to act cool on a facebook account doesn't mean there aren't just as many people on your side doing it without trying to be a postwhore about it.

The only point I am trying to make is that their are hundreds of people both on the ISU and MSU side putting in a lot of time and effort over an online poll that doesn't really matter for anything, and it would be criminal to disquailify over such a little event that you know a few people are probably doing on each side.

If we lose to you guys I would not feel the least bit bitter about it. I think it is great that you have fans that put this much time and effort into a meaningless poll in the name of your mascot. The vote totals each team have put up compared to the rest of the schools in the competition says a lot about how loyal the fans are of each school. The more power to whoever wins!

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyano

Nov 16, 2006
Des Moines
If I have two laptops sitting beside me and I hold the enter key down I can make a guess that Im accumulating 600 votes/min just by throwing out a number. Then I use some poor math skills and tell everyone how cool I am by how many votes I put in over an hour. He doesn't admit to anything about creating scripts or programs just that he estimates how many votes he is putting in. Would it also just be random chance that this is the one guy that can get votes in without getting error messages...both sides are complaining of not getting through to the site. This is most likely due to both sides voting against each other so hard, not that this one kid is lucky enough to be getting all of his votes counted and no ones else. Theres no reason why he wouldn't have been having the same problems.

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
600 votes per minute is not "little"

especially not when the server was flooded and neither us or you could get votes.

SOMEONE must've been getting votes in... and you took a lead of 300,000 votes away from us in a matter of hours, to then create a lead of 380,000 votes for yourselves in a matter of hours too.

do you really think we just randomly stopped voting while you guys got 700,000 votes in?
There was a pretty significant contingent from this site who all voted hard throughout their entire lunch hour. If you don't believe me, you're welcome to go see for yourself. They all reported having little to no trouble getting through to the poll, and were able to place quite a few votes with the aid of a relaxed CBS server and high-speed work connections that many don't have at their homes. There are obviously going to be more people spending significant amounts of time voting (and thus overwhelming the server) during the before-work and after-work hours. I think it is reasonable to assume that the lunch hour probably has the least amount of constant voting, since I don't think there are too many on either side who are willing to forgo their food in order to vote more. So if there were plenty of Cyclones voting and few to no Spartans voting throughout that hour, then us registering lots of votes makes perfect sense.

arfabe-msu

May 23, 2007
I agree arfarbe. However, I'll combine my last two posts here. He never claimed to be voting for ISU, perhaps he was hoping CBS would see it and get you guys DQ'd? Perhaps he sent an email suggesting as such? Also, I think that when you guys were mounting your horses to make that valiant comeback earlier this week, that was when none of use could vote. Looking back, that seems to be what happened. There were a few posts asking "is anybody even voting?" as you crept up on us and took the lead. However, with how seriously both of our fans have taken this poll, we shouldn't be against each other just yet. We should be fighting for the "Title," not to get there. CBS is the same thing as the Curiously Bi-sexual Sydicate. (F.U. CBS!)

that post is from the "VOTE FOR CY!!" group and he is a legit Iowa State University student, with an ISU email address, and over 200 friends from ISU

he wasn't voting for Sparty...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
that post is from the "VOTE FOR CY!!" group and he is a legit Iowa State University student, with an ISU email address, and over 200 friends from ISU

he wasn't voting for Sparty...

Well, when we were faced against Wichita State in the second round, there was a guy that claimed he was voting for us to get us DQ'd...

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
600 votes per minute is not "little"

especially not when the server was flooded and neither us or you could get votes.

SOMEONE must've been getting votes in... and you took a lead of 300,000 votes away from us in a matter of hours, to then create a lead of 380,000 votes for yourselves in a matter of hours too.

do you really think we just randomly stopped voting while you guys got 700,000 votes in?

Here's the problem, though:

I haven't been able to get a vote in since about the second day of the competition.

In other words, during the entire time that we were losing a big lead, I wasn't able to vote. And we were losing! MSU was the one who was pulling away with the percentages!

Later on...

I still can't vote. Not at all. So basically, I was able to vote at the beginning. We got a big lead. Then all of a sudden, I can't vote anymore. MSU mounts a HUGE comeback. Still can't vote. Then, not much happening. Still can't vote. MSU gains a little more.... still can't vote. ISU begins mounting a comeback.... still can't vote. And now, ISU pulls ahead with a big comeback.... still can't vote.

What I'm trying to say is, you can't realistically blame this all on us, claiming that it's coincidence that people have been having trouble voting when we mounted a comeback, since people had trouble voting when MSU was gaining as well.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Just a note arfabe16:

I think most ISU people here were getting "Timed Out" while MSU was amassing a ton of votes to rally against our lead that we amassed at the start. I could be wrong, as I haven't voted much in the MSU/ISU poll. That's just the way that I remember it as I read this exact thread. I'd rather have posted this on your site, but apparently the mods don't want to allow me that ability. Meh, in all honesty, with how much both of our schools/fans have taken this online poll, we're both massive losers who have nothing better to do.

Welcome to CycloneFanatic, arfabe! I already like you a lot more than I did your compatriot, "Slick Nick." I'm glad you joined us here to discuss this! I wish that your website would allow us access to do the same, but I trust you will pass our comments on to your friends at SpartanTailgate.

First of all, this "Brody" guy's comments aren't any more evidence of cheating than this comment from one of your members at SpartanTailgate:

LINK

Interestingly enough, it was shortly after that comment that MSU started cutting into our huge lead. We built that lead based on a bunch of us here voting our butts off, fair and square, just like you say you and the other Spartan fans were doing. Just as Cyclone62 mentioned, we couldn't do anything to stem the tide when that ridiculous amount of MSU votes started rolling in. We were still voting our butts off, but the server kept jamming up, and only MSU votes seemed to be counting. How can you be so sure that THAT wasn't an instance of your side cheating? Why do you assume that YOUR earlier lead was built on sheer voting strength, but you won't give us the same benefit of the doubt?

And, for that matter, we have no idea of the reliability of "Brody's" comments. Perhaps it was just braggadocio. Perhaps he had two laptops going, and he was just hitting "tab" and "enter" on them for long stretches of time. Either way, I say let's just get back to the battle, and let CBS Sportsline sort this out if they think something is fishy.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Is this person for real??? The person in question (brody) is from ISU, in a vote for Cy facebook group, AND mention going from 43% to 49%. And the time of the post would refer to when ISU was down...not Spartans. APPARENTLY...ISU DOES have people that arent the sharpest tools in the shed despite their efforts to convince the world they are full of only the best and brightest.

Like I said before, Wichita State claimed to vote for us illegally to get us DQ'd in the second round. Let's look at what he said. 600 votes per minute. That's 10 votes per second. Possible. 60,000 votes per minute at that pace. Not possible. The guy's an idiot. Also, if you guys would "let" me post on your boards, I'd talk to you there. Instead, you don't want me to. Why, I have no idea.

arfabe-msu

May 23, 2007
Welcome to CycloneFanatic, arfabe! I already like you a lot more than I did your compatriot, "Slick Nick." I'm glad you joined us here to discuss this! I wish that your website would allow us access to do the same, but I trust you will pass our comments on to your friends at SpartanTailgate.

First of all, this "Brody" guy's comments aren't any more evidence of cheating than this comment from one of your members at SpartanTailgate:

LINK

Interestingly enough, it was shortly after that comment that MSU started cutting into our huge lead. We built that lead based on a bunch of us here voting our butts off, fair and square, just like you say you and the other Spartan fans were doing. Just as Cyclone62 mentioned, we couldn't do anything to stem the tide when that ridiculous amount of MSU votes started rolling in. We were still voting our butts off, but the server kept jamming up, and only MSU votes seemed to be counting. How can you be so sure that THAT wasn't an instance of your side cheating? Why do you assume that YOUR earlier lead was built on sheer voting strength, but you won't give us the same benefit of the doubt?

And, for that matter, we have no idea of the reliability of "Brody's" comments. Perhaps it was just braggadocio. Perhaps he had two laptops going, and he was just hitting "tab" and "enter" on them for long stretches of time. Either way, I say let's just get back to the battle, and let CBS Sportsline sort this out if they think something is fishy.

Thanks. tSlickster is kind of a myth in spartantailgate.com (long story... he's kind of infamous around there)... and he's NOT a Michigan State student or alumni... just some random dude who jumped on the Spartan bandwagon

And I see what you're saying... but our comeback was one of about 150,000 votes in a matter of around a full day.

You guys came back from 300,000 AND built a 380,000 lead in a matter of 15 hours.

There's a big difference in those numbers.

Last edited:

arfabe-msu

May 23, 2007
Like I said before, Wichita State claimed to vote for us illegally to get us DQ'd in the second round. Let's look at what he said. 600 votes per minute. That's 10 votes per second. Possible. 60,000 votes per minute at that pace. Not possible. The guy's an idiot. Also, if you guys would "let" me post on your boards, I'd talk to you there. Instead, you don't want me to. Why, I have no idea.

it's not what you think...

spartantailgate only allows new members every 2 or 3 days during the summer...

Darst complained about it too...

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
He knows 200 ISU people so he has to be an ISU fan? Do you think your friends belong exclusively to the school you root for in athletics? I love Rice baseball, don't know a single fan from there. I have about a hundred friends that go to Iowa, cant stand the hawkeyes...

You really shouldn't register at another forum to plead your case. Did you see anyone from ISU on your boards when we went from being up by 70 percent to all of a sudden being down 10? It was much more than 150,000 votes. Especially considering the poll had amassed that within the first few hours of the poll anyway.

Leave, and stop Huberilating your home forum more than it has been already.

arfabe-msu

May 23, 2007
He knows 200 ISU people so he has to be an ISU fan? Do you think your friends belong exclusively to the school you root for in athletics? I love Rice baseball, don't know a single fan from there. I have about a hundred friends that go to Iowa, cant stand the hawkeyes...

To make a screenname on the opposing teams athletic forum to plead your case is pathetic. You really must think before you act, were we going to sympathize with your case? Did you see anyone from ISU on your boards when we went from being up by 70 percent to all of a sudden being down 10?

Leave, and stop Huberilating your home forum more than it has been already.

ignore all the numbers if you want. he talked about the 43% going up to 49% exactly when you guys were making that comeback. then the poll behaved as predictably as he said it would. he's an Iowa State student with an ISU email, that's no lie.

but sure, he wasn't an ISU fan.

and i'll leave your precious board, don't worry... my posts were directed at the more educated people anyway... not to you, ISU "boi"

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
Thanks. tSlickster is kind of a myth in spartantailgate.com (long story... he's kind of infamous around there)... and he's NOT a Michigan State student or alumni... just some random dude who jumped on the Spartan bandwagon

And I see what you're saying... but our comeback was one of about 150,000 votes in a matter of around a full day.

You guys came back from 300,000 AND built a 380,000 lead in a matter of 15 hours.

Our lead is more like 350,000 votes than 380,000, if the Sportsline poll is to be believed. But regardless, we had a lead of over 150,000 votes -- maybe close to 200,000 -- before MSU mounted its "comeback." MSU then built a lead of about 300,000, according to your numbers. That's a swing of 500,000 votes in MSU's favor, which isn't all that different than the 650,000 vote swing in our direction, when you consider all the die-hard fans each side has voting.

Is this the result of a bunch of people giving themselves some serious finger strain from all that mouse-clicking? I'd sure like to think so. If it's not, I think both sides have to be guilty of something untoward. There's no way that MSU's comeback was completely legit if our's wasn't, either.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville

Just a question, but I was away from a computer between Friday night, and Tuesday morning. We got a big lead going into the first million, then AFTER the second million, you guys built a substantial lead. After the third million (record for this "poll") all of the "cheating" claims out, from both sides. Is that correct? As far as I've known, at least 5 CFers have still been able to vote today until the email went to CBS, then it stopped. That is a direct confirmation from a fellow Cyclone. I just think that "Brody" guy is/was blowing smoke. Biased? Possibly. Realistic? Yes.

it's not what you think...

spartantailgate only allows new members every 2 or 3 days during the summer...

Darst complained about it too...

Alright, as long as I can see what you guys are really about, and I can speak my own mind, I'll be fine. :wink0st:

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
ignore all the numbers if you want. he talked about the 43% going up to 49% exactly when you guys were making that comeback. then the poll behaved as predictably as he said it would. he's an Iowa State student with an ISU email, that's no lie.

but sure, he wasn't an ISU fan.

and i'll leave your precious board, don't worry... my posts were directed at the more educated people anyway... not to you, ISU "boi"

1. There are plenty of ISU students who are Iowa fans and Cyclone haters. You are really trying to plead your case to the wrong school. We see it all the time, you probably do too considering UM is the pedigree school in your state and thats not changing soon.
2. Who cares
3. Did you just poke fun at my Internet ID, arfabe?????
4. Apparantly your edjakashun hasn't taught you the descrepancy between important and unimportant factors of life. You have already accumulated nearly 2% of the total posts I have spent on this forum in less than an hour, which took me over a year.
I am proud of your scholastic accomplishments though, maybe sometime I'll devote a couple of hours to read your published literary achievement on the spartaintailgate message boards.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
There was a pretty significant contingent from this site who all voted hard throughout their entire lunch hour. If you don't believe me, you're welcome to go see for yourself. They all reported having little to no trouble getting through to the poll, and were able to place quite a few votes with the aid of a relaxed CBS server and high-speed work connections that many don't have at their homes. There are obviously going to be more people spending significant amounts of time voting (and thus overwhelming the server) during the before-work and after-work hours. I think it is reasonable to assume that the lunch hour probably has the least amount of constant voting, since I don't think there are too many on either side who are willing to forgo their food in order to vote more. So if there were plenty of Cyclones voting and few to no Spartans voting throughout that hour, then us registering lots of votes makes perfect sense.

Your post makes much more sense than playing Perry Mason using facebook for "evidence". MSU got caught with their pants down during mid-day falling victim to a focused group using superior business and computer lab connections. The same thing happened to us when MSU made their big push early Sunday. When both sides are clicking with equal numbers, it's either a stalemate or a bogged down server depending on the numbers online.