Big East writer refutes ISU rumor

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If the Big East basketball only teams are happy with what they have now, they can expect to say goodbye to most if not all of their football teams in the next few years.

The Big East has to expand their football conference if they want to survive. Otherwise the Big10, ACC, and SEC will carve them up.

Either the basketball only schools will have to be happy with adding teams or they will end up looking for another league whether the BE expands or not.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I got a kick out of his "Villanova, Providence, and St. Johns do NOT want to play Iowa State and Kansas State in basketball." comment.

Wake up dipstick. It is all about football and revenue. If Villanova, Providence, and St. Johns want to leave, the Big East might just let them if it means revenue and a TV Network. The sad reality is that BB is inconsequential. Ask Kansas.

It is football that is driving this whole thing. Otherwise Nebraska would have NEVER gotten a Big Ten invite.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I got a kick out of his "Villanova, Providence, and St. Johns do NOT want to play Iowa State and Kansas State in basketball." comment.

Of course they don't. If average basketball schools that also have football teams beat them, they have nothing. They would almost be as irrelevant as Creighton.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Oh well... dreaming about ISU to the Big East was fun while it lasted.... almost 24 hrs... that's pretty good for a rumor.

eastman

Jun 25, 2009
Tampa
Just spoke with Jim Williams. Full story coming to the front page soon. He has "five sources high up in athletic departments" of different Big East schools, one of them being Georgetown.
i got a feeling all those bball school arnt gonna want us cause we might boot them to another conference...or just take the football schools and start up own conference

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
"20 team tournament is impossible". Tell that to a lil thing called the NCAA tournament which includes 68 teams. Two locations then meet for final 4 or 2 in MSG. Not hard.

You wouldn't even have to play all 20, only pick the top 12 from the divisions and those are the ones that play in the garden.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Just one SMALL part of the interview. We talked for almost a half hour.

CW: The Big East writer I talked to told me that he felt if the four Big 12 schools entered the conference, ultimately the Georgetown’s, Villanova’s and Providence’s of the world wouldn’t want to be in that league with 20 teams. Have you heard anything like this?

JW:
No. I talked to Georgetown for God’s sake. Remember this. This is what drives me nuts about people who do this crap. Paul Tagliabue graduated from Georgetown. Do you honestly think that a Georgetown alum who still goes to their basketball games, is going to work for the Big East just to develop a 12-team conference that would knock out basketball? That makes no sense. What your getting is blowback from some of the schools who don’t like the idea of not getting home and home circumstances. It is a brand new world. Whether people want to understand this or not, there are going to be compromises that are going to have to be made.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
If the Big East basketball only teams are happy with what they have now, they can expect to say goodbye to most if not all of their football teams in the next few years.

The Big East has to expand their football conference if they want to survive. Otherwise the Big10, ACC, and SEC will carve them up.

Either the basketball only schools will have to be happy with adding teams or they will end up looking for another league whether the BE expands or not.

What if the BE decides you must have fball. Then the conference would be Cincy, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, UConn, USF, Louisville, Syracuse, and add in KU, KSU, Mizzou, and ISU.

West division of KU, KSU, Mizzou, ISU, Cincy, Lville.
East division of Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, UConn, USF, Syracuse

Add a couple more teams if you want 14 or 16.

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

CW: The Big East writer I talked to told me that he felt if the four Big 12 schools entered the conference, ultimately the Georgetown’s, Villanova’s and Providence’s of the world wouldn’t want to be in that league with 20 teams. Have you heard anything like this?

JW: No. I talked to Georgetown for God’s sake. Remember this. This is what drives me nuts about people who do this crap. Paul Tagliabue graduated from Georgetown. Do you honestly think that a Georgetown alum who still goes to their basketball games, is going to work for the Big East just to develop a 12-team conference that would knock out basketball? That makes no sense. What your getting is blowback from some of the schools who don’t like the idea of not getting home and home circumstances. It is a brand new world. Whether people want to understand this or not, there are going to be compromises that are going to have to be made.

The full interview will be up eventually correct?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

JW:
No. I talked to Georgetown for God’s sake. Remember this. This is what drives me nuts about people who do this crap. Paul Tagliabue graduated from Georgetown. Do you honestly think that a Georgetown alum who still goes to their basketball games, is going to work for the Big East just to develop a 12-team conference that would knock out basketball? That makes no sense. What your getting is blowback from some of the schools who don’t like the idea of not getting home and home circumstances. It is a brand new world. Whether people want to understand this or not, there are going to be compromises that are going to have to be made.

This interview is going to make SportsTalkMatt look a little foolish, isn't it. Or maybe not Matt, but Kevin McNamara?