Urban Exploring at ISU

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KFitzy87

My girlfriend is coming to visit Saturday. I'm going to show her the Shrine and try to spook her out a bit.....

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The Shrine is actually scary. Being from Ames, I went there all the time in high school. I've only seen the guy twice, once he was actually in the shrine messing with a plastic kitty pool on the far west side. It had some tools in it. Go at night and knock on the shrine gates/fence. Nothing happens but still scary as hell.

Awolter

Aug 31, 2012
Took the past 4 days or so to slowly read over the entire thread... Man, very interesting.

Since, I have been to the shrine twice with some friends. Once during the day, and once at night.

When we went in the day, we drove past and then proceeded to park about a 1/4 mile to the west. As we were walking towards the shrine, the neighbors drove past going toward their house and asked if we needed any help. (Husband and wife, I presume.) We said we were fine but as we were driving past we noticed this structure and asked what they knew. The man only said "It's not a shrine, don't worry about it. If you're really bothered go talk to him about it. He isn't home now though." We thanked him for his time, and kept on walking. Once we got to the gate, a pickup truck started down the road towards us. Once it got closer, we realized it was the neighbor man again in a different vehicle and he said "Now didn't I tell you kids to stay away? You better head on out or I'm calling the sheriff." He was definitely upset. I just said "We're just walking on the road, were not going in there or anything." he drove back and I watched him drive to my car, stop there for a minute, and then drive to his house. I could tell he got my license plate number.

I don't think that the old man has a white van anymore, it seems like he just has a old pickup. When we were there in the day, there where no vehicles. When we drove past at night, he had the old pickup right outside of his house. Nothing unusual happened at night, even though we did slow down and stop right outside the house.

I would be interested in hearing some newer stories of trips out there, this shrine is quite mysterious even after all these years.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Took the past 4 days or so to slowly read over the entire thread... Man, very interesting.

Since, I have been to the shrine twice with some friends. Once during the day, and once at night.

When we went in the day, we drove past and then proceeded to park about a 1/4 mile to the west. As we were walking towards the shrine, the neighbors drove past going toward their house and asked if we needed any help. (Husband and wife, I presume.) We said we were fine but as we were driving past we noticed this structure and asked what they knew. The man only said "It's not a shrine, don't worry about it. If you're really bothered go talk to him about it. He isn't home now though." We thanked him for his time, and kept on walking. Once we got to the gate, a pickup truck started down the road towards us. Once it got closer, we realized it was the neighbor man again in a different vehicle and he said "Now didn't I tell you kids to stay away? You better head on out or I'm calling the sheriff." He was definitely upset. I just said "We're just walking on the road, were not going in there or anything." he drove back and I watched him drive to my car, stop there for a minute, and then drive to his house. I could tell he got my license plate number.

I don't think that the old man has a white van anymore, it seems like he just has a old pickup. When we were there in the day, there where no vehicles. When we drove past at night, he had the old pickup right outside of his house. Nothing unusual happened at night, even though we did slow down and stop right outside the house.

I would be interested in hearing some newer stories of trips out there, this shrine is quite mysterious even after all these years.

I bet the sheriff loves that guy. Don't get me wrong, I love neighbors that look out for other neighbors and are willing to call when something looks off, but it's obvious why people are stopping to look at this. The only thing is, I would have just stopped my car right in front of it. If you build something like that, visible from the road, you are almost asking for people to stop and look.

SOPROUD

Sep 7, 2012
Des Moines
A couple of summers ago some buddies of mine and I rode our bikes around to several points of interest. We spent a couple hours exploring Spangler Lab. It was pretty eerie. Lots of old machinery and chemicals still bottled up in cabinets. The offices had a lot of personal items laying around as well (glasses, magazines, family photos, and most interestingly a 2L bottle of russian beer). It almost looked as if everyone up and left in a hurry. There was also an old trophy case full of awards and historical relics...the lights still had power. Apparently the railroad club still meets there. I found a set of keys in a desk drawer and was able to get into the railroad club's room. Pretty weird stuff. Anyways, that night we rode to Hilton which happened to be unlocked. We raced around the concourse for awhile before discovering that someone left the stairs down into the ceiling. It was pitch black and just as I was warning my friends to stay on the catwalk I slipped and busted through the floor. Luckily I grabbed onto an I-beam and they hoisted me up, we got out of there after that. The football field was open so we ran around on the turf for awhile before exploring the Jack Trice Club and climbing the new scoreboard. We didn't break in anywhere, everything just happened to be open...must've been our lucky night. That was probably one of the more memorable nights of the summer. I went snooping through Friley's basement once but couldn't find anything interesting. Also poked around in the steam tunnels after my 21st birthday, just popped up a big trap door by the armory and looked inside.

Reactions: Jordanj6502

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
A couple of summers ago some buddies of mine and I rode our bikes around to several points of interest. We spent a couple hours exploring Spangler Lab. It was pretty eerie. Lots of old machinery and chemicals still bottled up in cabinets. The offices had a lot of personal items laying around as well (glasses, magazines, family photos, and most interestingly a 2L bottle of russian beer). It almost looked as if everyone up and left in a hurry. There was also an old trophy case full of awards and historical relics...the lights still had power. Apparently the railroad club still meets there. I found a set of keys in a desk drawer and was able to get into the railroad club's room. Pretty weird stuff. Anyways, that night we rode to Hilton which happened to be unlocked. We raced around the concourse for awhile before discovering that someone left the stairs down into the ceiling. It was pitch black and just as I was warning my friends to stay on the catwalk I slipped and busted through the floor. Luckily I grabbed onto an I-beam and they hoisted me up, we got out of there after that. The football field was open so we ran around on the turf for awhile before exploring the Jack Trice Club and climbing the new scoreboard. We didn't break in anywhere, everything just happened to be open...must've been our lucky night. That was probably one of the more memorable nights of the summer. I went snooping through Friley's basement once but couldn't find anything interesting. Also poked around in the steam tunnels after my 21st birthday, just popped up a big trap door by the armory and looked inside.

You climbed the new scoreboard a couple of Summers ago? Impressive considering it wasn't even built yet... I will let Mike Gundy take it from here:

gundyainttrue.jpg

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames

Hasn't the scoreboard only been there one summer other than the summer it was constructed?

Edit: Damn CyBallzz beat my to it.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

This one time when I was school I was walking past the Knoll and the front door just happened to be wide open. I went in dropped a deuce in the president's can and took a nap in his bed. Then I went over to Hoover Hall (nevermind that it was built after I left Ames) and played around in the unlocked VR lab. It was sweet. I ended the night down at Big Earl's. The door was wide open and no bouncer so I walked it. It turned out it was closed that night for a "dancer inservice" so the ladies could learn more moves. They let me hang around so there was a test subject.

Best day I've had since the time I went to Washington DC and they left all the important buildings unlocked.

Pretty sweet thread bump though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron