Emiah leaving team

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
That's crap. Let's pile on to college freshmen for making decisions. Absolute crap.

Every generation says that the previous one is weaker and doesn't have the fortitude that they pretend to have had. This kind of post is just "circle the wagons" garbage.

Why not simply say "It turned out that ISU wasn't for Emiah, and that's fine for both sides" and then move on?
Talk about crap. This entire post was crap.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Player living arrangements: I'm not sure whether it is arranged by the staff. Anybody can chime in ?
Classwork: what adjustments can be made ? The student athletes have responsibilities to finish their classwork. One of my teammate in my 1st year MBA at ISU was a starter in the football team. Never once he missed class unless he had to travel. He never missed any of our team meetings.
With BF yelling: a lot of posters here have touched, it's BF's way, the recruits have seen him yelling during the practice sessions and the games.

We'll never know what cause some players to transfer and they might not be due to the coaching staff's faults/problems.

I was not trying to say it was any of those things.

We will likely never know. Even those insiders who think they are in the know probably will not really hear the complete story from both sides.

My point was, if there is any pattern at all to why these players have left, whatever it might be, I hope the staff will make the necessary adjustments. These types of situations cannot make recruiting any easier.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Hmmm... Not sure I read anything in the article that would have pushed me one direction or the other, especially as strongly as it seemed to have pushed you. Not being critical, just wondering what your read that drew such a strong reaction.

Emiah probably knew that Coach Fennelly would be tough to play for. But, until you are living in that environment, you probably have no idea how difficult it can be. I'm not against Coach either, it just simply comes down to what type of coaching a kid responds best to. Some respond extremely well to Coach, others probably respond far better to a coach that uses different tactics. That's not the fault of either person - it's just not a good fit.

Does everybody love every boss they ever had? Some people perform far better with a boss that says "here's what I expect and I know you can deliver", then leaves you alone until its time to evaluate your performance. Others NEED a boss that provides constant direction and correction.

Emiah leaving was not about coaching style. Ray Bingley himself said that here and was pretty emphatic about it earlier in this thread indicating that her AAU coach that she is close to and keeps in contact with is similar in style.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I finally decided to read some of this thread...

I had no idea who this person was, and read she averaged 5 points per game. Who cares if she leaves? Who cares WHY she leaves? Im sure girls who can average 5 PPG are a dime a dozen. Next.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I had no idea who this person was, and read she averaged 5 points per game. Who cares if she leaves? Who cares WHY she leaves? Im sure girls who can average 5 PPG are a dime a dozen. Next.

A lot of very good players have done much worse than that the first few games of their true freshman season. A lot of true freshmen who end up being pretty darn good don't even see the floor their first year.

She showed a lot of potential both in high school and in flashes in some of her games here. It is a loss.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Let's just hope she finds a coach like Hoiberg to transfer into. He is amazing with these transfers.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
That's crap. Let's pile on to college freshmen for making decisions. Absolute crap.

Every generation says that the previous one is weaker and doesn't have the fortitude that they pretend to have had. This kind of post is just "circle the wagons" garbage.

Why not simply say "It turned out that ISU wasn't for Emiah, and that's fine for both sides" and then move on?

You obviously don't work with these kids like I do. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years. The changes are taking place and the kids are different today than they were 10 years ago and 10 years before that. I'm not circling any wagons as there is no need to.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
You obviously don't work with these kids like I do. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years. The changes are taking place and the kids are different today than they were 10 years ago and 10 years before that. I'm not circling any wagons as there is no need to.
I don't think he is denying the difference in kids, he is denying that we have any idea if that is an issue here. We just don't know what the issues are. I, for one agree with your assessment of kids. I also worked with them. However, the problem is that their environment is changing so fast, that people, and most of all the kids themselves are having trouble adjusting. I worked with kids who their environment was a cramped apartment with a huge tv set that mostly was in Spanish, because their parents were Hispanic. They were nice kids, just lived in a completely awful environment. For their parents, the environment was probably an improvement with what they grew up in.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't think he is denying the difference in kids, he is denying that we have any idea if that is an issue here. We just don't know what the issues are. I, for one agree with your assessment of kids. I also worked with them. However, the problem is that their environment is changing so fast, that people, and most of all the kids themselves are having trouble adjusting. I worked with kids who their environment was a cramped apartment with a huge tv set that mostly was in Spanish, because their parents were Hispanic. They were nice kids, just lived in a completely awful environment. For their parents, the environment was probably an improvement with what they grew up in.

Actually, I am. Every generation has made these complaints about the younger generation. That tradition predates our nation. The vocabulary changes, but the ideas are always the same. Each generation perceives the younger generation to be lazier, more entitled, more spoiled, too comfortable in material ways, too lax in moral ways, to succeed. The tradition has gone with every generation that has settled this continent.

I work with freshmen every single day. I graduated with my B.A. in 1995. There really is no difference from freshmen now to young people then, or even before.

Now I welcome the anecdotal evidence which confirms what I'm saying.

AlumfromAmes

Jun 9, 2010
Emiah leaving was not about coaching style. Ray Bingley himself said that here and was pretty emphatic about it earlier in this thread indicating that her AAU coach that she is close to and keeps in contact with is similar in style.

I'll take your word for it as you have always proven to be reliable. But I did not read earlier posts the same way. Some must have been deleted. As for having similar coaches in aau, it isn't quite the same. My observation is that Coach Fennelly is one of a kind. Many mens players probably had tough high school coaches but wouldn't fit well under Bobby Knight.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
A lot of very good players have done much worse than that the first few games of their true freshman season. A lot of true freshmen who end up being pretty darn good don't even see the floor their first year.

She showed a lot of potential both in high school and in flashes in some of her games here. It is a loss.

LOTS and LOTS of kids have potential.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I think we all agree, that Em would have been better off sticking it out at ISU. Not that we are biased.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Actually, I am. Every generation has made these complaints about the younger generation. That tradition predates our nation. The vocabulary changes, but the ideas are always the same. Each generation perceives the younger generation to be lazier, more entitled, more spoiled, too comfortable in material ways, too lax in moral ways, to succeed. The tradition has gone with every generation that has settled this continent.

I work with freshmen every single day. I graduated with my B.A. in 1995. There really is no difference from freshmen now to young people then, or even before.

Now I welcome the anecdotal evidence which confirms what I'm saying.
there is a lot of information out there on millenials and how they are the entitled generation. So many companys are freaking out because of the social and organizational challenges they bring. Their level of creativity and social responsibility is high but their ability to self manage and work through challenges on their own is very low. I work with market researchers and this generations level of individuality is freakishly high and their need for affirmation even higher from both peers and superiors.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
I'll take your word for it as you have always proven to be reliable. But I did not read earlier posts the same way. Some must have been deleted. As for having similar coaches in aau, it isn't quite the same. My observation is that Coach Fennelly is one of a kind. Many mens players probably had tough high school coaches but wouldn't fit well under Bobby Knight.

A lot of RBingleys posts have been deleted. And not just recently.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

Yeah, it's too bad Loren Meyer didn't quit the program his freshman year. That crappy guy only averaged 5.1 PPG his freshman year. We would have been so much better without him. Those 9 RPG and 15PPG he averaged his senior year could have been gotten by anyone.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
there is a lot of information out there on millenials and how they are the entitled generation. So many companys are freaking out because of the social and organizational challenges they bring. Their level of creativity and social responsibility is high but their ability to self manage and work through challenges on their own is very low. I work with market researchers and this generations level of individuality is freakishly high and their need for affirmation even higher from both peers and superiors.

We have a winner...I completely agree. There are lots of studies that track how the generations have changed. They can't help but change as the world around them changes. You want evidence...start with this one.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/27/f...l=1&adxnnlx=1355527876-XKewZD4ZRLc6GeCBf/K98Q