Emiah leaving team

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
there is a lot of information out there on millenials and how they are the entitled generation. So many companys are freaking out because of the social and organizational challenges they bring. Their level of creativity and social responsibility is high but their ability to self manage and work through challenges on their own is very low. I work with market researchers and this generations level of individuality is freakishly high and their need for affirmation even higher from both peers and superiors.

Part of this can go hand in hand with helicopter parents and dad Bingley sure comes off as one. Someone here posted a reply to one of his first posts that parents posting on fan boards never ends well and boy was he/she right on that. Jeez, I was 17 when my mother dropped me off at Wallace Hall as a freshman in 1969 and she didn't hang around to tuck me and check everyday to make sure the mean professors at ISU were treating me right. I know things are different today but fundamentaly they shouldn't be as different as they appear to be.

D

DistrictCyclone

I finally decided to read some of this thread...

I had no idea who this person was, and read she averaged 5 points per game. Who cares if she leaves? Who cares WHY she leaves? Im sure girls who can average 5 PPG are a dime a dozen. Next.

Because now that roster spot will average 0 PPG. My math ain't the greatest, but I believe 5>0. Oh, and we'll have to replace whatever she would have scored in the future...assuming she would have improved and gotten more playing time like 99% of players do.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Actually is a trend, and player treatment WAS a factor when we lost three four years ago. As you can see below, I predicted the exodus here 5-6 weeks before it started, and was roundly flamed for it, even though I had specific information at the time:

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/womens-basketball/50533-next-years-lineup.html#post930867

It was also not hard to figure out when Whitney Williams left, though I had no personal knowledge of that situation. But you had a home schooled kid who was clearly put off by the derision, profanity and constant use of the Lord's name in vain.

Here is another direct quote from a kid who lasted all four years: "He SURE didn't talk that way to me while he was recruiting me!"

This can be said for all coaches. They wine and dine you to come to your school, but once you arrive your just another player.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Really? Wow....

Either way...it falls on the coaching staff when a recruit leaves...that is where the buck stops.

This is becoming quite the yearly happening. BF is a great coach and a staple of the university athletic program...but this stinks.

Last edited:

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Either way...it falls on the coaching staff when a recruit leaves...that is where the buck stops.

This is becoming quite the yearly happening. BF is a great coach and a staple of the university athletic program...but this stinks.

Its quite the yearly happening at lots of places these days...as I've been saying...is it the coaches (not usually) or is the the makeup of today's teenager? Is there a difference between the player who has been "spoiled" rotten by parents/coaches as they were brought up and the blue collar worker (like Pop)? Lots of factors but not all point at the coaching staff.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't know EB at all. I don't know if she was spoiled rotten or was brought up blue collar. I do know she doesn't want to be a Cyclone any more. We can debate whether she should have stuck it out with her teammates until the end of the year or not, but if she doesn't want to be here, she should transfer. Staying could have a detrimental effect on the team, too.

And I do believe kids are different today. They seem to need a lot of hand holding in general and those that are prepared to work independently are definitely harder to find in the working world than ten years ago. But they are out there. Without knowing EB that's a pretty big leap to take.

Palmer

Jun 10, 2008
Johnston, IA
Its quite the yearly happening at lots of places these days...as I've been saying...is it the coaches (not usually) or is the the makeup of today's teenager? Is there a difference between the player who has been "spoiled" rotten by parents/coaches as they were brought up and the blue collar worker (like Pop)? Lots of factors but not all point at the coaching staff.

whatever the view...we are all assuming.

but it still falls on the coaches when we have a hole on the roster 2 years down the road.

BF is paid a very good salary to figure out how to plug the leaking.

EHdakota

Jun 16, 2008
Sioux Falls
This thread is long enough to include a word from the sponsors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am a helpful smile. I AM a helpful smile. I am a Helpful schmile.

Help us, who will save us? Save us, Save us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now back to the thread.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Well then...so let's defend BF at all costs by labeling/judging Bingley like this? Please.
And even if it's accurate, BF still chose to recruit this "spoiled rotten" Bingley and add her to the team. Emiah (and her dad) didn't just change personalities overnight...

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Well then...so let's defend BF at all costs by labeling/judging Bingley like this? Please.
And even if it's accurate, BF still chose to recruit this "spoiled rotten" Bingley and add her to the team. Emiah (and her dad) didn't just change personalities overnight...
If you read my posts you would realize I'm not talking about Emiah, but making a generalization about youth today.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
This thread should end as it has gotten to much into the name calling/ blame stage. She is gone and we may never know why and does it really matter, either you support the program or you do not. Go Cyclones!!!

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
If you read my posts you would realize I'm not talking about Emiah, but making a generalization about youth today.

You know whos fault it would be that my generation is like that? Your generation. Good job. Good effort.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I'm fine with that. It's the fools who point to Fennelly's coaching style (read: he yells too much for their precious little ears to take) as the cause everytime someone gets their feelings hurt. Especially when they have absolutely no inside information.
I remember LE had a big mouth on the sideline also.....swearing was his middle name....

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
I am sure daddy pampered his precious little Emiah and never yelled at her.