Car chase and shots fired

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
So you think that every officer hired is a good officer? And because an officer has gone through training does not mean he's well-trained, just as every student who goes through school is not a good student. Based on my personal experience I'm basing it on six shots with one hit. I'm basing it on the fact that he fired his gun in the middle of campus, which goes against training. I'm basing it on the fact that the subject was already pinned. I'm basing it on the fact that other officers on site were already approaching the vehicle and training dictates that you don't discharge your weapon in this situation.

You are truly clueless. Just stop.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
When people are jumping out of the way of the truck making no effort to avoid them and he kept trying to back into police cars, he is trying to harm/kill these people. Opening fire was completely justified. I understand the families frustrations. If I had a son who did the same thing I would probably do the same thing and call out the police in this situation. Doesn't make it right but 99% of all families would defend their son right or wrong. Who I don't understand are the non affiliated people preaching all over facebook/The Rag/ KCCI.com that the police were in the wrong in this situation. He clearly was an endangerment to the innocent bystanders and peace officers.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
I usually side against the police on these issues but this was 100% justified. Kid decided his own fate.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
When people are jumping out of the way of the truck making no effort to avoid them and he kept trying to back into police cars, he is trying to harm/kill these people. Opening fire was completely justified. I understand the families frustrations. If I had a son who did the same thing I would probably do the same thing and call out the police in this situation. Doesn't make it right but 99% of all families would defend their son right or wrong. Who I don't understand are the non affiliated people preaching all over facebook/The Rag/ KCCI.com that the police were in the wrong in this situation. He clearly was an endangerment to the innocent bystanders and peace officers.

You could not of said it any better. I don't understand how people think this guy should of got a free pass.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
So it's your normal position to question and side against the police regardless of what facts have been released to the public? So you think the police are in the wrong even when you don't know the situation? 'murica!

No you *******. I'm saying in a situation that is similar to this and people are upset. Most the time the cops are in the wrong.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Like many have said, I was a little skeptical of shooting him, but after watching this, the officer was completely justified shooting him. It is terrible it had to end that way, but if the guy just pulls over at the beginning none of this ever happens.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Well said.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that people are trying to justify this lunatic's actions.

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
Who I don't understand are the non affiliated people preaching all over facebook/The Rag/ KCCI.com that the police were in the wrong in this situation. He clearly was an endangerment to the innocent bystanders and peace officers.

My sister, who lives elsewhere, read this today and was horrified at the police:
Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

The article so horribly misrepresents or, at the least, under-reports, the facts of the situation, coupled with the sensationalist headline, make Ames PD look like trigger-happy cops.

I can see how people who have only gotten the facts of the matter from one source in this, and almost every other scenario, can be blinded to the truth.

Once people see the video of the chase, read a few other news articles, and perhaps discuss it with friends, I think the majority will change their collective tune.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
My sister, who lives elsewhere, read this today and was horrified at the police:
Dad Calls Cops on Son to Teach Him a Lesson, Cops Shoot Son Dead

The article so horribly misrepresents or, at the least, under-reports, the facts of the situation, coupled with the sensationalist headline, make Ames PD look like trigger-happy cops.

I can see why people who have only gotten the facts of the matter from one source in this, and almost every other scenario, can be blinded to the truth.

Once people see the video of the chase, read a few other news articles, and perhaps discuss it with friends, I think the majority will change their collective tune.

There is another article with similar tone, basically stoking the fire to the accusation that the cops acted recklessly. Unfortunately, this is what we have these days: sensational journalism.

I have no doubt that the Cop was justified to use the deadly force against this kid. Watching how he tried to ram someone although he was driving backwards made me shudder: we should be thankful that the students were not out there and it could have been really ugly.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
No defending this guy at all, and usually am pro police force.

However after watching the Ames PD basically tackle two drunk fans doing nothing wrong in a tailgate lot, then lock them up continue to see them acting too aggressive in situations.

Many other non leathal options in this situation. 6 quick shots is shooting to kill. Period.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

However after watching the Ames PD basically tackle two drunk fans doing nothing wrong in a tailgate lot, then lock them up continue to see them acting too aggressive in situations.

Many other non leathal options in this situation. 6 quick shots is shooting to kill. Period.
I'd be interested to hear what you think the non-lethal options were.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
This guy had shown no concern at all for the safety of others, or the results of his actions. It was not like he was not given plenty of opportunity to surrender and give up. He made the choices he did, and there was no indication that those wrong choices were going to stop.

Right before the shots were fired, he had just rammed a police car again. Would the officers' actions of shooting at him only been justified for some of you if he had actually injured or killed a police officer or pedestrian?

I don't know how the officers were going to get him to stop. They had tried to do it with warnings. They had tried to do it with ramming his truck. Nothing made him stop. Some of you talk about non-lethal methods that could have been used. What are they? What do you think is available to the Ames and ISU police?

Luckily, this chase did not take place between classes. The way that the guy crossed Lincolnway against the light, a few thousand pedestrians on the sidewalks of ISU's campus would have been no deterrent to him.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

Ramming your truck into a police cruiser 4 times and driving like a bat outta hell through a college campus, blowing through busy intersections, and going off-roading on central campus, is driving to kill. Period.

Cy94

Nov 11, 2011
Should not have escalated to what it did. I don't know what should have been done differently...just sad.