Car chase and shots fired

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
"City only has to pay $25,000."

Only?

You mean tax payers who's lives were in danger because of this *** hat are having to pay a little bit?

I realize it's like...1 penny of my own. But still. Thats $25,000 of Ames' money we're losing because this guy decided to be a ******* idiot.

Don't forget that we ALL end up paying for the insurance that is paying the remainder of the settlement in the long run.

These kinds of settlements really anger me, and they only stem from insurance companies fearing larger awards being given through the courts. I've been involved in these types of negotiations while working in claims. Guaranteed that the insurance company convinced the city to agree to the settlement so they could limit the claim payout. I'd say take it to a jury. No jury in their right mind would find in the plaintiff's favor in this situation when this guy put so many college students and other citizens at risk with his reckless actions.

The dad shouldn't get one red cent, and instead should be scolded by the courts and told that he should have taught his kid to respect the law and his fellow man.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Sometimes I hold serious judgment on our judicial system in cases like this. No way there of been a payout for wrongful death w hen he was the one that put way more lives at risk than his own.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Sometimes I hold serious judgment on our judicial system in cases like this. No way there of been a payout for wrongful death w hen he was the one that put way more lives at risk than his own.

You give the legal system too much credit. It's quite possible for them to do something this stupid (though I think Ames should have fought it). Lawyers know the system. They helped create it and tailor it to make bank.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

Too bad the reporter didn't ask any of the tough questions when mom started talking about how the cops should have tried tazing the kid instead of shooting (he was inside the truck and continuing to try to ram police cruisers, how the hell are they going to taze him?), and how the money wasn't enough and that she didn't want the cop to ever be able to wear a badge again (why? the cop should be hailed as a hero for stopping your crazy kid from potentially running over innocent college students or other citizens).

Truly disgusting.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
What do your really expect the mom to say?

The media did a horrible job covering this story from the beginning.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Some of the mothers quotes show how bright the family was/is.

1. "The police didn't even give him a chance." Really? Him ramming into police cars after seeing blue and red lights, and then driving crazy around campus, but the cops didn't give him a chance? *****, **** you.

2. "They should've tried tazing him first" You expect the cops to come up to that crazy son of yours and shoot him with a tazer?

3. Pulls out cards that say "Worlds Best Mom." Your son stole a car, rumor has it he was on meth, and got in a police chase just because he wanted cigerettes. You're not quite the worlds best mom.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Can we sue the family for putting our kids lives in danger and the emotional stress from their sons actions. Any and all future settlements should go in a fund to help work on mental illness.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron