Car chase and shots fired

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It's amazing how news outlets can spin anything to make it look and sound like the way they want it to. It reminds me of this video:
[video=youtube;Giy8XhLyPDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Giy8XhLyPDw[/video]

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
It seems that most people on here seem to understand how calling off the chase was not a viable option for the officers as soon as things escalated (Which was pretty much 30 seconds into the chase anyway)

But for those who don't, and keep insisting that everything would have turned out fine, just remember what happened a couple years ago when the Ames Police decided to back off during a chase. I'm not saying the officers made the wrong decision when they called it off, I'm just pointing out that by the time a chase starts, it's probably gonna end ugly regardless. Backing off won't put an end to a tragedy either
Teen’s crash death stuns Nevada | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Last edited:

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Just curious how a truck is any less lethal than a shotgun. I don't think anyone would have blamed the cops for taking out a shooter. Just saying.

dchumbley

Jun 10, 2006
It's a very tragic situation, but after watching the dash cam video anyone who thinks the police were in the wrong must be out of their mind.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
After now seeing the video I can't blame him. I dont think the cop is having as easy a time getting over what he did as some of you are (may he is who knows).

IF he had more back up they probably could have done more to box him in but he had one back up officer due to the quick nature of the situation.

Kind of glad some of you are not cops, danger to others off with his head.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Should not have escalated to what it did. I don't know what should have been done differently...just sad.

The only thing that should have been done differently was the kid pulling over when the lights went on.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
After now seeing the video I can't blame him. I dont think the cop is having as easy a time getting over what he did as some of you are (may he is who knows).

IF he had more back up they probably could have done more to box him in but he had one back up officer due to the quick nature of the situation.

Kind of glad some of you are not cops, danger to others off with his head.
Except we were right, so....

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
There's always going to be idiots that think anything the cop does is in the wrong.

Got pulled over for speeding? Cop must've been out to get you.

Got caught with possession of marijuana? Since it was in your pocket, you were clearly doing nothing wrong.

Get in a chase, hit cop cars, and drive around the busiest part of a campus, off-road, and threaten the lives of many, including the cops? Cops should've asked politely for you to pull over your stolen car.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
There's always going to be idiots that think anything the cop does is in the wrong.

Got caught with possession of marijuana? Since it was in your pocket, you were clearly doing nothing wrong.

Get in a chase, hit cop cars, and drive around the busiest part of a campus, off-road, and threaten the lives of many, including the cops? Cops should've asked politely for you to pull over your stolen car.

Can I still blame the parking division for being douschenozzles?

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Can I still blame the parking division for being douschenozzles?

the older I get the more I realize people are just doing what they are paid to do. if you don't like the rules find a way to change them. don't yell at people who are just trying to collect a paycheck. oh, and don't park where it's not allowed and you won't have problems.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
the older I get the more I realize people are just doing what they are paid to do. if you don't like the rules find a way to change them. don't yell at people who are just trying to collect a paycheck. oh, and don't park where it's not allowed and you won't have problems.

BBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
I am supporting everything the police officers of Ames for what they did. He almost killed several innocent people, and things could've escalated even more. For example, this is what could have happened if the cops didn't take the necessary measures to stop this man
[video=youtube_share;qoI4G1fWmEQ]http://youtu.be/qoI4G1fWmEQ[/video]

Wow, this still bothers me today.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
I sent the video and story to a police officer I know and got the following response. I initially supported the shooting, but this response got me thinking.

Interesting. One, if I understand it correctly, the owner of the pickup is the driver's father so it is not a "who done it". Two, very populated area which should figure into the equation on weather the immediacy to capture this known person is worth the risk to others. Three, there are a ton of leaves still on the trees I noticed and four, I cannot imagine a supervisor (sergeant) allowing this to continue. We have disciplined officers for similar actions. I am surprised this video has been released already. I can't imagine the police dept would release it. Will be interesting to find out how it was obtained. I assume the driver wasn't armed.....this isn't a good deal by any account. It will be interesting to find out what happens. We'll use it for a training opportunity.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER

For the record if i get arrested for less than an ounce of marijuana, it is the cops fault. Woot Woot Go Colorado!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I sent the video and story to a police officer I know and got the following response. I initially supported the shooting, but this response got me thinking.

Interesting. One, if I understand it correctly, the owner of the pickup is the driver's father so it is not a "who done it". Two, very populated area which should figure into the equation on weather the immediacy to capture this known person is worth the risk to others. Three, there are a ton of leaves still on the trees I noticed and four, I cannot imagine a supervisor (sergeant) allowing this to continue. We have disciplined officers for similar actions. I am surprised this video has been released already. I can't imagine the police dept would release it. Will be interesting to find out how it was obtained. I assume the driver wasn't armed.....this isn't a good deal by any account. It will be interesting to find out what happens. We'll use it for a training opportunity.

tta1.gif

Seriously, what do the leaves have to do with anything? I was right with him, up to that point.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron