Car chase and shots fired

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
No defending this guy at all, and usually am pro police force.

However after watching the Ames PD basically tackle two drunk fans doing nothing wrong in a tailgate lot, then lock them up continue to see them acting too aggressive in situations.

Many other non leathal options in this situation. 6 quick shots is shooting to kill. Period.
Do you care to finish the bolded thought, or just stop after that? After watching cops do that... I have no idea what you're trying to say.

However, after watching the dashcam, which you apparently haven't yet, the driver had a complete disregard for anyone else but him.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
No defending this guy at all, and usually am pro police force.

However after watching the Ames PD basically tackle two drunk fans doing nothing wrong in a tailgate lot, then lock them up continue to see them acting too aggressive in situations.

Many other non leathal options in this situation. 6 quick shots is shooting to kill. Period.

Police officers shoot to kill, they don't shoot to warn. It's how they are trained. A police officer does not draw his gun unless he intends to use it, and does not pull the trigger if he is not trying to kill. Plain and simple.

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
Police officers shoot to kill, they don't shoot to warn. It's how they are trained. A police officer does not draw his gun unless he intends to use it, and does not pull the trigger if he is not trying to kill. Plain and simple.

Officers shoot to stop the threat to them or others as quickly as possible. The intent is not to kill. They target areas of the body most likely to incapacitate the person as quickly as possible. When that occurs the likely hood of serious injury or death is high.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Exactly - if a police officer decides to pull the trigger his intent is to kill the person. In this case the nutbag was still trying to work his truck out and turn it loose in a soon to be pedestrian dense area. You can argue about the events leading up to this but at that point this was 100% the right decision. And actually I think after watching the video it was clear that there was little chance this incident was going to end safely. He had shown zero regard for anyone's safety and there was no way to know if he was armed.

I'm sick of people saying they think the police were wrong but don't know what else should've been done. Once he was on campus and refused to get out or stop and was trying to get the truck loose there were two options. Kill him or keep the chance open that this guy runs over someone who had done absolutely nothing wrong. The choice is easy to me.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Okay, here is another question about police tactics. Why ram the side of the truck (which hardly did any damage)? Why not ram the front (or back) quarter panel so that a tire would soon be damaged and make the truck harder to drive?

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Gas, smoke, taser, shoot tires out?

Do you see big city cops shoot every high speed chase dead?

You serious? Literally none of those were an option. How would they "smoke" him out? He would drive out of the smoke. How would they gas him out? They would have to have an open window to get the canister through and be able to hit a moving target. How would they taser him? The little needles on a taser aren't going to penetrate the windows and incapacitate him.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Okay, here is another question about police tactics. Why ram the side of the truck (which hardly did any damage)? Why not ram the front (or back) quarter panel so that a tire would soon be damaged and make the truck harder to drive?

They rammed what was available to them at the exact second. No reason to wait for "a better spot". They can always ram again if needed.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
After watching, seriously shocked no one else got killed....him flying through Lincoln Way without hitting a person, car, or the trailer hitting some one is unbelievable.

This Especially the Lincoln Highway part. wow that was messed up.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They rammed what was available to them at the exact second. No reason to wait for "a better spot". They can always ram again if needed.

It seemed like the options of front or back were available. Granted, I don't know what I'm talking about, but a ram in the side seems to make the most sense if you are trying to tip over the truck.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
[video=youtube;jD91hm57y_U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD91hm57y_U[/video]

thanks.

last couple of seconds on this one look to me like it was justified. At that point, the cop had to have been out of the vehicle when the truck backed in to the police car. The impact of that happened prior to shots being fired.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Officers shoot to stop the threat to them or others as quickly as possible. The intent is not to kill. They target areas of the body most likely to incapacitate the person as quickly as possible. When that occurs the likely hood of serious injury or death is high.
Ohhhh so that's why they always aim at the feet first... :jimlad:

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Looks like Ames Tribune already deleted her comments

Found Trudy commenting on a video uploaded to youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD91hm57y_U

"In the Ames PD video at time marker 1:10it appears the truck hesitates for a moment, stops, and backs up. It seems as if Tyler is wanting to turn onto an entry road next to the ISU Alumni Center and cut across to ISU Parking Lot A3 which is part of the vast parking lot between Hilton Coliseum and Jack Trice Stadium and which would conceivably allow him a wide open space to escape, but the truck encounters the police cruiser and he evidently decides to move forward instead."

Lady he didn't back up the truck to turn on an entry road. He rammed that squad car.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
It seemed like the options of front or back were available. Granted, I don't know what I'm talking about, but a ram in the side seems to make the most sense if you are trying to tip over the truck.

Ramming the back of a truck does nothing for them. Front may get the air bags to pop and get the driver to stop but not likely to stop the engine. Side shot allows them to push the vehicle into a tree and pin it.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
thanks.

last couple of seconds on this one look to me like it was justified. At that point, the cop had to have been out of the vehicle when the truck backed in to the police car. The impact of that happened prior to shots being fired.
Would have been interesting to see where he was standing when it happened. The truck jarred the car pretty good and the officer had to have jumped out of the way.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Found Trudy commenting on a video uploaded to youtube:

Ames Police car chase dashcam video- Nov. 4, 2013 - YouTube

"In the Ames PD video at time marker 1:10it appears the truck hesitates for a moment, stops, and backs up. It seems as if Tyler is wanting to turn onto an entry road next to the ISU Alumni Center and cut across to ISU Parking Lot A3 which is part of the vast parking lot between Hilton Coliseum and Jack Trice Stadium and which would conceivably allow him a wide open space to escape, but the truck encounters the police cruiser and he evidently decides to move forward instead."

Lady he didn't back up the truck to turn on an entry road. He rammed that squad car.
Wow, that's an interesting level of delusion.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
If he were sitting up in a truck.........it's not like they could have shot him in the leg to disable him. His head and chest would have been the only body parts visible.

I feel like we are only criticizing police action because this moron miraculously did not injure or kill anyone. Running the light at Lincoln, the trailer flipping onto the sidewalk at a bus stop outside the dorms, driving across central campus................if someone else had been killed by the time the cops shot him, would people still consider it unjustified?

I mean, by others beyond Trudy.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
Would have been interesting to see where he was standing when it happened. The truck jarred the car pretty good and the officer had to have jumped out of the way.

Agreed - but that is what clinches the justification of the shooting.

Also interesting - I didn't hear on the audio for the dispatcher calling for the police to back off.