Car chase and shots fired

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
tta1.gif

Seriously, what do the leaves have to do with anything? I was right with him, up to that point.

Only two things I could think is that either:

in that stand of trees, in the middle of campus, officer couldn't safely assess background safety when taking the shots...as in if he misses the truck, what's he gonna hit

or

During the chase, the leaves on the trees reduce the officer's sight lines and ability to assess the safety of continuing the chase at high speeds.

Just guesses, I thought the same thing...umm, is he missing the rest of that sentence?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Only two things I could think is that either:

in that stand of trees, in the middle of campus, officer couldn't safely assess background safety when taking the shots...as in if he misses the truck, what's he gonna hit

or

During the chase, the leaves on the trees reduce the officer's sight lines and ability to assess the safety of continuing the chase at high speeds.

Just guesses, I thought the same thing...umm, is he missing the rest of that sentence?

maybe he was just literally commenting that there are still a lot of leaves on trees in Ames?

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
I sent the video and story to a police officer I know and got the following response. I initially supported the shooting, but this response got me thinking.

Interesting. One, if I understand it correctly, the owner of the pickup is the driver's father so it is not a "who done it". Two, very populated area which should figure into the equation on weather the immediacy to capture this known person is worth the risk to others. Three, there are a ton of leaves still on the trees I noticed and four, I cannot imagine a supervisor (sergeant) allowing this to continue. We have disciplined officers for similar actions. I am surprised this video has been released already. I can't imagine the police dept would release it. Will be interesting to find out how it was obtained. I assume the driver wasn't armed.....this isn't a good deal by any account. It will be interesting to find out what happens. We'll use it for a training opportunity.

You should, and this should be a part of that training. Anyone who has weighed in on this should read this.

http://www.cityofames.org/modules/showdocument.aspx?documentid=14559

(^ from the City of Ames website)

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
There must have been a lot of angry parents emailing ISU for President Leath to send out a public statement.
Dear ISU students, faculty and staff:

This week started with an unfortunate incident in the center of the Iowa State University campus that ended in a young man’s death. Regardless of the circumstances, the loss of life is tragic. Our hearts go out to the family of the young man who died, and our thoughts are with all of the emergency personnel who participated in the difficult and stressful response. We are truly grateful that there were no additional injuries or harm resulting from this incident.

The incident Monday was the result of the pursuit of a stolen vehicle onto campus that was conducted by the City of Ames Police Department. The university has an agreement with the city that allows Ames police to continue the pursuit of a suspect onto campus when they believe the risk to human life caused by not pursuing the suspect outweighs the risk of continuing the pursuit. Following that principle, Ames police decided to continue the pursuit. Ames police were in charge of the situation from beginning to end, although university police were notified and responded to assist. Once the pursuit reached campus, the entire incident was over in three minutes.

I am aware that these events have raised significant questions and concerns about safety at Iowa State University. I want you to know that I understand your concerns and can assure you that the safety of this campus is my highest priority. Accordingly, I have charged Senior Vice President Warren Madden to conduct a comprehensive review of Monday’s incident in order to assess our response and act upon those lessons learned. As part of this review, Mr. Madden will evaluate the ISU Alert system, its timing, capabilities and limitations, as well as the policies that guide its use. The review will also evaluate university policies pertaining to the pursuit of suspects on campus. We will seek to act upon any recommendations resulting from this review as quickly as is possible.

Iowa State University is a safe place; but, unfortunately, incidents like this can occur because we also have an open campus. We want to continue to have an open, welcome campus; but at the same time, we want to make sure we have all possible measures, plans, policies and procedures in place to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our students, faculty, and staff. It is with that premise in mind that I can reassure you that we will do everything in our power to protect and preserve the safe environment that we have all come to expect at Iowa State University.

Steven Leath
Steven Leath
President

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not like the alert system could possibly have done anything when the chase lasted a total of 4 minutes and not all of it on campus even.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Not like the alert system could possibly have done anything when the chase lasted a total of 4 minutes and not all of it on campus even.

Exactly. I wouldn't want to be the guy tasked with doing the "review" of it. Not much else it could have done, imo.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Exactly. I wouldn't want to be the guy tasked with doing the "review" of it. Not much else it could have done, imo.
Maybe some sort of Pre-cog thing like they had going in Minority Report. Is that a thing yet?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
My thoughts exactly. It happened way too fast for ISU to send out an alert. Even if ISU had sent an alert as soon as the driver got on campus, the entire events would have been done before people would see the alert.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
http://www.kcci.com/news/police-reach-settlement-with-family-over-fatal-shooting/32304082

Family is awarded money for wrongful death suit (insurance will pay out most of it). I feel bad the family had to go through this, but I find it ridiculous they're getting a dime. This guy was lucky he didn't kill anyone and proved to be unpredictable

agreed. I'm vehemently against police violence, and overreach, but this one was justified. He easily could have killed someone, and the videos showed he had no concern for the lives of others.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Complete BS. Don't wish this on any family but the kid put lives at risk, no way this was a "wrongful" death. All he had to do was stop. I think anyone who leads police on a high speed chase through any kind of neighborhood/community should automatically be charged with attempted murder. It's nothing more than dumb luck that their recklessness doesn't kill innocent bystanders.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
"City only has to pay $25,000."

Only?

You mean tax payers who's lives were in danger because of this *** hat are having to pay a little bit?

I realize it's like...1 penny of my own. But still. Thats $25,000 of Ames' money we're losing because this guy decided to be a ******* idiot.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Complete BS. Don't wish this on any family but the kid put lives at risk, no way this was a "wrongful" death. All he had to do was stop. I think anyone who leads police on a high speed chase through any kind of neighborhood/community should automatically be charged with attempted murder. It's nothing more than dumb luck that their recklessness doesn't kill innocent bystanders.

and wasn't it the kid's father who actually called the cops to report the truck as stolen, knowing that his son was in it? He contributed a lot to his son's death.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I have argued with our attorneys on several occasions how their push to settle when we have a strong case because "it still could go the wrong way in trial" ends up hurting us by encouraging more suits. Luckily my bosses have backed me up on it. Sometimes risk avoidance on this can end up hurting you in the long run.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron