*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
SAme question to you: How much work have you put in on a display...a performance...a culinary experience?

Poor little snowflake myazz. You're calling them snowflakes because they "don't get participation ribbons" or something like that? That's a pretty crappy attitude.

What are you getting at? That I don't know what it's like to pour hours into a project, only to have it taken away? I assure you I do. I worked in sales for a large part of my career. I've spent hours and hours, and days and weeks and months working a client, only to have them back out at the last minute or go with a competitor. It sucks, but that's the way the world works sometime. You deal with it and move on.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
What are you getting at? That I don't know what it's like to pour hours into a project, only to have it taken away? I assure you I do. I worked in sales for a large part of my career. I've spent hours and hours working a client, only to have them back out at the last minute or go with another competitor. It sucks, but that's the way the world works sometime. You deal with it and move on.

This. This isn't a perfect world and it never will be. You're going to get screwed over eventually, so you best learn how to handle it when it happens.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
What are you getting at? That I don't know what it's like to pour hours into a project, only to have it taken away? I assure you I do. I worked in sales for a large part of my career. I've spent hours and hours, and days and weeks and months working a client, only to have them back out at the last minute or go with a competitor. It sucks, but that's the way the world works sometime. You deal with it and move on.

Not the same thing. You didn't win the contract, and yes, that sucks.

Someone else gets drunk and destroys property off campus, and your work gets flushed because of what they did? That sucks also, but so many of you are so bloody blase about the losses of the people who didn't participate. Have some empathy.

And at the same time, people on another thread are defending someone who was photographed in the middle of all of it holding up a stolen stop sign. I don't really care if he tore it out of the ground himself. My point is, along with a great many others he was there, he was in the crowd, he was showing approval of what was being done, even if he wasn't doing it himself.

We're defending athletes and students who over indulge and form a mob, we're saying tough **** to students who worked hard and are seeing all of their efforts go for naught. You really don't see the disconnect there?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
As is probably abundantly clear, I don't agree with his decision. You're right...apparently HE doesn't care either. So much for supporting hardworking students. Honor before victory myazz.
That is exactly what Leath is doing. If a teammate cheats, you sacrifice the entire team to maintain the program's honor.

MoreCowbell

Apr 23, 2009
That's a little dramatic. So some poor little snowflake doesn't get to show off their project. BFD. If a few wasted hours of work is the worst thing that happens to them in their college careers, they should consider themselves lucky.

Cancelling VEISHEA is like cancelling the annual county fair. Yeah, it can be fun, but it's not like it's a life changing event.
More than just a few hours, more like months. The cast and crew of SOV have been working since last fall. That's gone. The HDFS college sells 12,000 cherry pies at Veishea, which goes to fund scholarships for the department. That's gone. Those are just two small examples of events that go on this week. Those could very well be life changing events for some students. But it doesn't affect you, so, who cares, right? The people who don't think canceling Veishea will have an impact on more than just a few students are just as short-sighted as the drunken idiots who caused the problems last night.

Devil's advocate or not, it's a **** situation all around.

Last edited:
Reactions: cowgirl836

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

Someone else gets drunk and destroys property off campus, and your work gets flushed because of what they did? That sucks also, but so many of you are so bloody blase about the losses of the people who didn't participate. Have some empathy.

And at the same time, people on another thread are defending someone who was photographed in the middle of all of it holding up a stolen stop sign. I don't really care if he tore it out of the ground himself. My point is, along with a great many others he was there, he was in the crowd, he was showing approval of what was being done, even if he wasn't doing it himself.

We're defending athletes and students who over indulge and form a mob, we're saying tough **** to students who worked hard and are seeing all of their efforts go for naught. You really don't see the disconnect there?

I'm certainly not doing that. I think the rioters should be identified and punished including athletes. Unfortunately the bad apples have ruined the entire barrel. That sucks for the good students, but such is the way of things. It's a student event, and a few students ****ed it up for everyone. VEISHEA has a reputation of drunken craziness. A few cherry pies and student projects doesn't change that. The entire celebration is tainted.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I'm certainly not doing that. I think the rioters should be identified and punished including athletes. Unfortunately the bad apples have ruined the entire barrel. That sucks for the good students, but such is the way of things. It's a student event, and a few students ****ed it up for everyone. VEISHEA has a reputation of drunken craziness. A few cherry pies and student projects doesn't change that. The entire celebration is tainted.

Only if we allow it to be.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
More than just a few hours, more like months. The cast and crew of SOV have been working since last fall. That's gone. The HDFS college sells 12,000 cherry pies at Veishea, which goes to fund scholarships for the department. That's gone. Those are just two small examples of events that go on this week. Those could very well be life changing events for some students. But it doesn't affect you, so, who cares, right? The people who don't think canceling Veishea will have an impact on more than just a few students are just as short-sighted as the drunken idiots who caused the problems last night.

MR-PINK.gif

It sucks that their work is down the drain, but the student body has nobody but itself to blame. If they're mad about it, direct that anger directly at their fellow students. And again, if the worst thing that happens to them in their college careers is several hours of work going for naught, then they should consider themselves lucky.

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

I certainly can empathize. My class didn't get to take a senior trip because the class ahead of mine did stupid **** on theirs. That doesn't change the fact that life isn't fair, and sometimes stuff like this happens. If this is the worst setback these students suffer, they'll have led a very blessed life.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Except that the actual riot had absolutely nothing to do with the student event other than that event being an excuse to get drunk. Most students don't even understand what VEISHEA is actually a celebration of and this is part of the problem.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I do think Leath should've kept SOME things, such as the parade and cherry pies. I went to the parade every year as a kid, and the one time I went as a college student, the only college students I saw were IN the parade.

Other than that, I support canceling the rest of Vieshea.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I certainly can empathize. My class didn't get to take a senior trip because the class ahead of mine did stupid **** on theirs. That doesn't change the fact that life isn't fair, and sometimes stuff like this happens. If this is the worst setback these students suffer, they'll have led a very blessed life.

And my last paragraph?

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I do think Leath should've kept SOME things, such as the parade and cherry pies. I went to the parade every year as a kid, and the one time I went as a college student, the only college students I saw were IN the parade.

Other than that, I support canceling the rest of Vieshea.
I agree 100% with this. There are plenty of events that promote a great family atmosphere and provide good publicity to the university. I would have no problem cancelling VEISHEA next year or even for several years to try to get part of the party reputation that has grown into the event.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Apparently we interpret that quote differently. We also interpret President Leath's actions differently.

You know why, when someone on a team does something stupid, the entire team runs/suffers for it? Because unfairly punishing the entire team for the misguided actions of a few encourages the players to hold each other accountable for their actions. Maybe students will be more willing to step up and call idiots out on their ****, when that **** can affect them, too.