*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I don't think the 200+ people on Stanton right now care that Leath canceled the VEISHEA events.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
No, I believe you are under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is...to the people who are actually putting VEISHEA on. Drunken carousing may be VEISHEA to many on here, but to many others, that isn't at all what it is. Why should those of us who believe in what it is meant to be have to accept the definition of the partiers? Why can't the drunks find another week to party?

I think you've stumbled onto the very crux of the issue. I feel bad for the people who put on VEISHEA. They work hard and don't want a riot or a bunch of drunk craziness any more than you or I do. BUT, their event has become completely tied with those things, whether they like it or not. It's not fair. It's not right. But it just IS. To the majority of people, it's known as a week long drunken party. The entire event needs a giant makeover.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think you're under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is. Yes, there is a parade. Yes it's an exhibition. Yes, it's fun for families. But the party is what brings people to town. The party is why all the money gets spent. The party is why the hotels are booked this weekend. The party IS the show.

Lol.

Yes more money may be spent by the partiers, but seriously, how many of the party people you think get hotel rooms? They are ALL couch surfing at friends places.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think you've stumbled onto the very crux of the issue. I feel bad for the people who put on VEISHEA. They work hard and don't want a riot or a bunch of drunk craziness any more than you or I do. BUT, their event has become completely tied with those things, whether they like it or not. It's not fair. It's not right. But it just IS. To the majority of people, it's known as a week long drunken party. The entire event needs a giant makeover.

That, I can agree with. And the change in mentality needs to come from the students. They did it before. I just don't agree with the knee-jerk reaction by the admin here.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Lol.

Yes more money may be spent by the partiers, but seriously, how many of the party people you think get hotel rooms? They are ALL couch surfing at friends places.

That's not true at all. Worked at a hotel during two VEISHEAs and both times we were full up with drunken party-goers. Watched them stumble in at all hours of the night. Don't get me wrong, they weren't all that way, but lots and lots and lots of them were.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX

It really does. I loved VEISHEA in college due to advantages of both. A fun party for sure, but also just the buzz of the campus, the fact that you are at the largest student run event, the parade, the beginning of Spring (hopefully), and just the general good feeling I had as an ISU student. It all culminated at VEISHEA.

Did I drink more than a normal week? Hell yes I did. But I also participated in committees and lunches on campus and anything I could because it truly is a great week to be an ISU student/alum. I rode on a float in the parade twice, and loved every minute of it. I was in the "runaway" Car's themed float that almost went into LaVerne. My last two years I didn't sleep on Friday night because I helped the parade entries line up for the parade the next day (Yes, this started at about 4 AM, with a need to police parking lots the whole night before).

I love everything about VEISHEA, and I hope it gets back to an event students can enjoy socially but also be proud of. Ill step off the soapbox now. Just unreal to me, and I am still only 4 years out of school...

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
No, I believe you are under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is...to the people who are actually putting VEISHEA on. Drunken carousing may be VEISHEA to many on here, but to many others, that isn't at all what it is. Why should those of us who believe in what it is meant to be have to accept the definition of the partiers? Why can't the drunks find another week to party?

You really have no grasp on reality, do you? To most people, it's a party. This is a perfect example of perception being reality. Did VEISHEA start with the intent of being a giant party? Of course not. But that's what it's come to be known as to most.

Kind of like calling Minnesota a great football program because they used to be perennial national title contenders. Well, that was a long time ago. They kind of suck now.

Edit: Looks like Janny beat me to this point.

But, addressing your point that the change can't happen without the students, I agree. But I think something like this can encourage students to be more assertive about holding each other accountable in the future. Maybe there's not much of a connection between the people who organize VEISHEA and the riotous crowd, but there are a ****-ton of students in the middle who are affected, too. I'm guessing lots of students might not want to be on the riot scene, but would want to see T.I. And I'm guessing there would be quite a few of the riot crew that would like that, too.

You're right that regulation/banning/etc. won't stop idiots from being idiots. But by only punishing the idiots (most of whom won't learn a damn thing from that experience), none of the others will bother trying to hold each other accountable. Everybody kind of becomes a lone wolf; if I behave, I'll get my reward. But that's not how life works; you've got to be able to work with other people, and everyone's actions have an impact on those around them.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
You are correct about what VEISHEA actually is... but that doesnt mean 18-21 year old DMACC, Kirkwood, and other kids agree with what VEISHEA means to you and I. Most couldn't tell you the first thing about it, to them VEISHEA is spelled PARTY

80 degrees today, long winter, not much left to do except party. There will probably be house parties all over events or not.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think you're under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is. Yes, there is a parade. Yes it's an exhibition. Yes, it's fun for families. But the party is what brings people to town. The party is why all the money gets spent. The party is why the hotels are booked this weekend. The party IS the show.

And why is that such a problem? Why can't people cut loose for one damn weekend a year?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You really have no grasp on reality, do you? To most people, it's a party. This is a perfect example of perception being reality. Did VEISHEA start with the intent of being a giant party? Of course not. But that's what it's come to be known as to most.

Kind of like calling Minnesota a great football program because they used to be perennial national title contenders. Well, that was a long time ago. They kind of suck now.

Edit: Looks like Janny beat me to this point.

But, addressing your point that the change can't happen without the students, I agree. But I think something like this can encourage students to be more assertive about holding each other accountable in the future. Maybe there's not much of a connection between the people who organize VEISHEA and the riotous crowd, but there are a ****-ton of students in the middle who are affected, too. I'm guessing lots of students might not want to be on the riot scene, but would want to see T.I. And I'm guessing there would be quite a few of the riot crew that would like that, too.

You're right that regulation/banning/etc. won't stop idiots from being idiots. But by only punishing the idiots (most of whom won't learn a damn thing from that experience), none of the others will bother trying to hold each other accountable. Everybody kind of becomes a lone wolf; if I behave, I'll get my reward. But that's not how life works; you've got to be able to work with other people, and everyone's actions have an impact on those around them.

I have an excellent grasp on reality. I know exactly what VEISHEA means to many people who are often not intensely involved in the planning and execution. However, the fact that they believe it is all about the drinking does not, in fact, mean that it actually is ALL about the drinking. That's just an excuse, a justification for bad behavior. The reality is, some people will find any excuse possible for drinking. The reality is that the people planning it are not planning it to be a week long drinking competition...or they wouldn't bother with all of the other stuff that doesn't promote drinking and vandalism. I choose to side with the reality of the people organizing and executing VEISHEA.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Perhaps I'm confused or misunderstanding something here. Are you asking why last night was a problem?

No. I'm asking why so many people are suddenly anti-partying because a few ******** went too far last night.

People are going to party. Accept it, and move on. But it's CycloneFanatic, where the defenders of morality rail on those who like to drink a few ripples and get peacefully rowdy by throwing all partiers in the same boat as the slight few who get violent..

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I have an excellent grasp on reality. I know exactly what VEISHEA means to many people who are often not intensely involved in the planning and execution. However, the fact that they believe it is all about the drinking does not, in fact, mean that it actually is ALL about the drinking. That's just an excuse, a justification for bad behavior. The reality is, some people will find any excuse possible for drinking. The reality is that the people planning it are not planning it to be a week long drinking competition...or they wouldn't bother with all of the other stuff that doesn't promote drinking and vandalism. I choose to side with the reality of the people organizing and executing VEISHEA.

The reality is that those nutjobs, who come on campus trying to put the fear of God into passing students if they don't repent for their sins (I think most of you know the type I'm describing here), don't intend to be the center of said students' ridicule. Guess what? They tend to get laughed at by most passersby, anyway.

It doesn't matter what those planning the event want it to be or envision it being, if most people see it as something else and treat it as such. And it's going to continue to be treated as the biggest party on campus until students start holding each other accountable and call out the morons who turn everything stupid up to 11 for a week.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
And why is that such a problem? Why can't people cut loose for one damn weekend a year?
Hopefully, this was not actually a serious question. There is nothing wrong with people cutting loose and having a good time. When that "cutting loose" involves someone getting seriously injured, and significant private and public property damage.......then it is a problem. If you don't know why that is a problem......think really hard and see if you can come up with a reason.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
In the end, here's the deal:

Is stopping this year's VEISHEA going to remove the reputation and desire to riot in the future? No.
Would letting it keep going this year remove the reputation and desire to riot in the future? No.

The problem isn't this year's students. It's not the students from 2004, or the mid-90s. It's not inherently VEISHEA's fault, as VEISHEA is meant to be a celebration of all of the good things at the school. The problem is that it's evolved into a week-long party with some tendencies toward violence - which a lot of people can handle, and good for them, but every several years a certain portion of people can't handle. Some of these people aren't even students, which makes it more unfair. And it sucks that we have to punish the vast majority because of the tiny portion of idiots, but that's unfortunately how the world works.

The atmosphere of VEISHEA is going to be the same, even if we change how it works, when it is, etc. At this point, what does it hurt to start a new celebration with the good elements (SOV, TOV, the parade, the exhibits on central campus), but that doesn't have the ingrained reputation of rioting and being out-of-control?

And that's not to say that we have to take away the partying, either - but just removing it from being tied to something the school is directly sponsoring. For example, KSU has "Fake St. Patty's Day" - it's a couple of weeks before real St. Patrick's Day, and it's an informal celebration just organized by students. There are no committees, nobody reserves room on campus for things, it's just a random night. Both non-Greek and Greek students just get together and have parties. I don't recall hearing any riots about it - and if there were, they don't embarrass the university, because it's not at all tied to any university event.

Last edited:

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
You know why, when someone on a team does something stupid, the entire team runs/suffers for it? Because unfairly punishing the entire team for the misguided actions of a few encourages the players to hold each other accountable for their actions. Maybe students will be more willing to step up and call idiots out on their ****, when that **** can affect them, too.

You really cannot compare a sports team to a student body. That would be like punishing every American because some people shot up a mall.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron