*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

Fitzy

Tracer Bullet
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2014
La La Land
At this point I think the best plan is to get rid of VEISHEA altogether and come up with a new tradition that starts small and can build over the years.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
At this point I think the best plan is to get rid of VEISHEA altogether and come up with a new tradition that starts small and can build over the years.

I have been thinking the same thing about a solution. I would like to see a way of getting more students involved in the sanctioned events. At least when I was in school in the Dark Ages, VEISHEA was seen as mostly a Greek thing by many students.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
You know when most students will realize VEISHEA isn't just about getting drunk and having a good time? When the graduate.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You really cannot compare a sports team to a student body. That would be like punishing every American because some people shot up a mall.

We're punishing 35k students because of the actions of somewhere between 400-600 (estimate?). That's a lot closer to the team analogy than it is to punishing 350 million people for the actions of three.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
You don't need to get rid of anything. Every single time **** happens it's on Welch. This whole week just shut the road down after 7 PM. Barricade the intersection at Lincoln Way and decide how far south you want to go, have uniformed officers checking IDs at all barricades. Not 21? Beat it. There are never any problems anywhere else.

There are PLENTY of other places that deal with large crowds and alcohol in legitimately dangerous places, look at how Memphis deals with Beale Street on New Years. History has shown that this week provides stupid people the opportunity to do stupid things. The University needs to work with the city on recognizing and dealing with this. The bar scene, as small as it is in town, has to be handled differently this week.

ZachsterPoke

Jan 4, 2010
You really cannot compare a sports team to a student body. That would be like punishing every American because some people shot up a mall.
I would have gone down a certain route, but that'd lead me directly to the Cave, so...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The folks having a "good time" must take responsibility and draw the line before acts like these. They need to stop cheering them on and at least make minimal attempts to stop the things that we all consider to be wrong. I think a random handful of people nearby could have prevented the few who tipped over the car or who knocked over a light pole. When you just stand by and watch (and especially when you cheer), you become an accessory to the problem.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

The years VEISHEA have been an issue had really nice weather (after being stuck indoors after winter.) I think they ought to move VEISHEA to March where the weather is colder and less people will be hanging outside to cause problems.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
You don't need to get rid of anything. Every single time **** happens it's on Welch. This whole week just shut the road down after 7 PM. Barricade the intersection at Lincoln Way and decide how far south you want to go, have uniformed officers checking IDs at all barricades. Not 21? Beat it. There are never any problems anywhere else.

There are PLENTY of other places that deal with large crowds and alcohol in legitimately dangerous places, look at how Memphis deals with Beale Street on New Years. History has shown that this week provides stupid people the opportunity to do stupid things. The University needs to work with the city on recognizing and dealing with this. The bar scene, as small as it is in town, has to be handled differently this week.

Completely agree. The funny thing is, if an outsider looked at VEISHEA's official website/schedule, they would say "This is a top notch student run event." For the average student who is not dumb, VEISHEA is a time to have fun, see some great entertainment for a cheap price, invite family/friends to learn about and enjoy ISU, and celebrate all things ISU. Unfortunately, some of the "tradition" some stick with "this is my chance to be dumb"

if they hope to "retool" things and create something new, it'd be difficult to not come up with something that looks a lot like what we already had in place.

I do think that, truly, the one way to make it work like it is would be to have a very honest session/planning where bar owners, stores, etc agreed to be part of the solution, very clear expectations/policy set in place (for instance, a yard party is just not allowed....landlords will be fined heavily, etc). But, if all were under the same understanding, it could work....i believe.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
The years VEISHEA have been an issue had really nice weather (after being stuck indoors after winter.) I think they ought to move VEISHEA to March where the weather is colder and less people will be hanging outside to cause problems.
I guess I don't really fully understand VEISHEA as this is my first year being here and I have never been before being a student, but I don't understand why we don't just combine it with Homecoming. That gets it to be warm enough that people can be outside and do stuff but they have also been outside for the whole summer as well.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Totally separate issue. Taking away a Constitutionally-granted right is not the same as taking away a privilege.

I agree, but that's not the argument. The argument was punishing the masses for the acts of a few. They are separate issues, absolutely, but that's why its called a COMPARISON.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This is my feeling too. Crappy winter followed by a great week to party. That said, building floats in Feb might not be so hot.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I agree, but that's not the argument. The argument was punishing the masses for the acts of a few. They are separate issues, absolutely, but that's why its called a COMPARISON.

The numbers also don't fit, at least not as well as my analogy. There have been how many shootings that sparked gun control recently? Less than 10?

10 offenders/314 million people= 1/31400000 of a percent of the population

VEISHEA

400 (low-ball estimate)/35k students= 1.1% of the student body

On a scale of 0-10, with 10 being the US population and 0 being the 50-person football team, the ISU student body clocks in at roughly 0.00012.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
I had a night to sleep on it I am going to say it.......Dr. Leath was dead wrong in canceling VEISHEA, it was a quick knee jerk reaction to the situation put forth by a small percentage of the population that made a poor choice. I took a spin through campus the last 2 nights....plenty of house parties to attend. I guess they didn't get the memo to shut down??? All he is doing is punishing the hard working students that put on the event, the clubs on campus that show case it, local businesses, and the alumni that donate $ back to ISU. This was a poor decision by Dr. Leath and his Sr. Cabinet.

It is similar to what the NCAA does punish a school after the offenders and coaches have left.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I had a night to sleep on it I am going to say it.......Dr. Leath was dead wrong in canceling VEISHEA, it was a quick knee jerk reaction to the situation put forth by a small percentage of the population that made a poor choice. I took a spin through campus the last 2 nights....plenty of house parties to attend. I guess they didn't get the memo to shut down??? All he is doing is punishing the hard working students that put on the event, the clubs on campus that show case it, local businesses, and the alumni that donate $ back to ISU. This was a poor decision by Dr. Leath and his Sr. Cabinet.

It is similar to what the NCAA does punish a school after the offenders and coaches have left.
No, cancelling Veishea diminished the party scene on Welch greatly. It needed to be done. No need for more private and public property damage and people dying.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010

The wheels of the party bus for the week had already been set in motion. Those parties were going to happen either way. However, what would cancelling VEISHEA for next year do while still having all events continue this year? It would **** off everyone even more into an entire **** it mode and tell themselves "well, it's already gone, so why not go out with a bang?" and the powder keg would really explode. If he says everything continues this week, a decision will be made about future VEISHEAs after this week? Nothing else happens this week, and if he says the incident Tuesday night triggered next year's cancellation? Everyone gets ****** with cries of "but we behaved after things were already went south!" and "That isn't fair!" If nothing gets cancelled either now or in the future? We continue with the same connection of VEISHEA = ticking time bomb and someone could instigate a riot if someone decides to start something. If he does what he did? We get into the arguments we have right now about it. There was no win at all for him no matter what decision gets made. People are going to be ****** no matter what and question whatever decision gets made.

The public perception of VEISHEA as a week long party where things are expected to get crazy is already there. That is the aspect that needs to change, and it won't change until something is done to spark people into wanting to change that mentality.

Last edited:

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
No, cancelling Veishea diminished the party scene on Welch greatly. It needed to be done. No need for more private and public property damage and people dying.

I highly disagree.

There are reports that there was another large party that was busted & dispersed last night, just like Tuesday. I would imagine a combination of the negative attention from Tuesday night, & an increased police presence kept it from escalating further.

If you think the party scene around Welch (& parties on Hunt, Stanton, etc) will be diminished greatly, I think you're in for a surprise. Like others have said, any & all parties that were already planned for this weekend aren't going to be cancelled just because there isn't a parade or food fair anymore.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The wheels of the party bus for the week had already been set in motion. Those parties were going to happen either way. However, what would cancelling VEISHEA for next year do while still having all events continue this year? It would **** off everyone even more into an entire **** it mode and tell themselves "well, it's already gone, so why not go out with a bang?" and the powder keg would really explode. If he says everything continues this week, a decision will be made about future VEISHEAs after this week? Nothing else happens this week, and if he says the incident Tuesday night triggered next year's cancellation? Everyone gets ****** with cries of "but we behaved after things were already went south!" and "That isn't fair!" If nothing gets cancelled either now or in the future? We continue with the same connection of VEISHEA = ticking time bomb and someone could instigate a riot if someone decides to start something. If he does what he did? We get into the arguments we have right now about it. There was no win at all for him no matter what decision gets made. People are going to be ****** no matter what and question whatever decision gets made.

The public perception of VEISHEA as a week long party where things are expected to get crazy is already there. That is the aspect that needs to change, and it won't change until something is done to spark people into wanting to change that mentality.

In two weeks, he will cancel future VEISHA.

Then the business community can start their own pre-easter event.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron