*****LEATH VEISHEA PRESSER LIVE STREAM*****

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Except that the actual riot had absolutely nothing to do with the student event other than that event being an excuse to get drunk. Most students don't even understand what VEISHEA is actually a celebration of and this is part of the problem.

Yes, the riot is absolutely tied to the event. If this hadn't been VEISHEA week, that riot doesn't happen. It's as simple as that. The participants chanted "VEISHEA! VEISHEA!" as they rioted. The riot is 100% linked to the event.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
And my last paragraph?

******, not one time have I even approached defending the people who were actually doing stupid ****. They deserve to have the hammer brought down on them hard. It sucks that other people have to suffer, too, but that's life.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
Yes, the riot is absolutely tied to the event. If this hadn't been VEISHEA week, that riot doesn't happen. It's as simple as that. The participants chanted "VEISHEA! VEISHEA!" as they rioted. The riot is 100% linked to the event.
They rioted because it was VEISHEA week, but not because of any of the actual event. I worded that poorly. The drinking and partying is not part of what VEISHEA is, but many students use VEISHEA as an excuse to drink excessively.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I do think Leath should've kept SOME things, such as the parade and cherry pies. I went to the parade every year as a kid, and the one time I went as a college student, the only college students I saw were IN the parade.

Other than that, I support canceling the rest of Vieshea.

I think that ought to be the route they go for next year. But, this year, I'm fine with shutting down the whole thing. Is it punitive? Sure. That's not a bad thing, though. If it makes good students mad? Good. Might encourage them to self police a little better in the future.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I do think Leath should've kept SOME things, such as the parade and cherry pies. I went to the parade every year as a kid, and the one time I went as a college student, the only college students I saw were IN the parade.

Other than that, I support canceling the rest of Vieshea.

Comments like these is what sucks the worst, especially if they cancel it for good.

It is such a good event for families to have their children start loving Iowa State.

My gf is (was) a die hard hawk fan and graduate, always swearing that our kids would be Hawkeye fans (which was NEVER going to happen regardless). But after her first VEISHEA after walking around and doing the adult/family/student organization stuff and loving it, her exact words were "Oh **** they are going to be Cyclones aren't they, I guess I lose."

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
If it was my choice, I'd say just get rid of all the events after 5 or 6 pm. That still leaves most of the events for families and alums.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

But it was not caused or created by VEISHEA. It was the product of something entirely different. Chanting VEISHEA does not make it a VEISHEA event.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
They rioted because it was VEISHEA week, but not because of any of the actual event. I worded that poorly. The drinking and partying is not part of what VEISHEA is, but many students use VEISHEA as an excuse to drink excessively.

Then losing the whole event this year should help clarify to them that that's not what it's about. Maybe they'll miss the other events, have a Grinch moment of clarity, and realize that VEISHEA means a little bit more than drunken craziness. But that lesson doesn't get learned nearly as well if the daytime events go on as scheduled.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
But it was not caused or created by VEISHEA. It was the product of something entirely different. Chanting VEISHEA does not make it a VEISHEA event.

The riots in Ames only occur at VEISHEA time. It's known as the biggest time to party and possibly go beyond that.
In the minds of people taking part, the rioting is exactly what the event is all about.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
You know why, when someone on a team does something stupid, the entire team runs/suffers for it? Because unfairly punishing the entire team for the misguided actions of a few encourages the players to hold each other accountable for their actions. Maybe students will be more willing to step up and call idiots out on their ****, when that **** can affect them, too.

Agree with this 100%, but for the most part, there is a large disconnect from student events at VEISHEA, and alumni/adult/children events. For example, 90% of the people who would of attended the parade would not be attending the concerts, and are typically in bed by the time most of the partying starts.

I said this in another thread, but I think you make the same point by shutting VEISHEA down at 5PM for the rest of the week as opposed to shutting it down completely.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I think you're under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is. Yes, there is a parade. Yes it's an exhibition. Yes, it's fun for families. But the party is what brings people to town. The party is why all the money gets spent. The party is why the hotels are booked this weekend. The party IS the show.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Then losing the whole event this year should help clarify to them that that's not what it's about. Maybe they'll miss the other events, have a Grinch moment of clarity, and realize that VEISHEA means a little bit more than drunken craziness. But that lesson doesn't get learned nearly as well if the daytime events go on as scheduled.

The people who use VEISHEA as an excuse for excessive drinking are generally not the ones that will be working on/attending the daytime events. They are also generally not the ones who will be affected by the cancellation.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I doubt that. I grew up in Dubuque, and VEISHEA was always the one weekend where all my friends from high school would come visit. Had this same event happened when I was in college, most of them would still have come. As some have said, VEISHEA was just the excuse to drink. IMO, those who planned to comes to Ames this weekend to party are still going to come to Ames to party.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
The getting rid of events after 5/6 has some positives to it. But the kids that are out effing everything up couldn't care less about those events and probably any of the actual VEISHEA events.

So in theory, it sounds great, but that doesn't keep the drunken idiots away. Maybe after a little hiatus, you bring back VEISHEA as a daytime thing or something and slowly introduce it as the celebration of ISU, so it won't have the nighttime stuff associated with it as much.

Ah, hell this just plain sucks. Sucks for the students there, the Ames community, and us alumni. Just hope the right people are held responsible for this, no deaths/riots the rest of the week and hope things can be back to normal next April...

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I think you're under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is. Yes, there is a parade. Yes it's an exhibition. Yes, it's fun for families. But the party is what brings people to town. The party is why all the money gets spent. The party is why the hotels are booked this weekend. The party IS the show.

No, I believe you are under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is...to the people who are actually putting VEISHEA on. Drunken carousing may be VEISHEA to many on here, but to many others, that isn't at all what it is. Why should those of us who believe in what it is meant to be have to accept the definition of the partiers? Why can't the drunks find another week to party?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
The getting rid of events after 5/6 has some positives to it. But the kids that are out effing everything up couldn't care less about those events and probably any of the actual VEISHEA events.

So in theory, it sounds great, but that doesn't keep the drunken idiots away. Maybe after a little hiatus, you bring back VEISHEA as a daytime thing or something and slowly introduce it as the celebration of ISU, so it won't have the nighttime stuff associated with it as much.

Ah, hell this just plain sucks. Sucks for the students there, the Ames community, and us alumni. Just hope the right people are held responsible for this, no deaths/riots the rest of the week and hope things can be back to normal next April...

EXACTLY. They also dont care that it was "cancelled".

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
No, I believe you are under a giant delusion as to what VEISHEA actually is...to the people who are actually putting VEISHEA on. Drunken carousing may be VEISHEA to many on here, but to many others, that isn't at all what it is. Why should those of us who believe in what it is meant to be have to accept the definition of the partiers? Why can't the drunks find another week to party?

You are correct about what VEISHEA actually is... but that doesnt mean 18-21 year old DMACC, Kirkwood, and other kids agree with what VEISHEA means to you and I. Most couldn't tell you the first thing about it, to them VEISHEA is spelled PARTY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
You are correct about what VEISHEA actually is... but that doesnt mean 18-21 year old DMACC, Kirkwood, and other kids agree with what VEISHEA means to you and I. Most couldn't tell you the first thing about it, to them VEISHEA is spelled PARTY

I believe it's actually "VEISHA" to them.