Task Force Recommendation for VEISHEA

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The pro-VEISHEA group has been pointing out in this entire thread that VEISHEA isn't really all that well known or unique, lots of other schools do similar things and they're more successful. I'd say that response is appropriate here.

Agree'd with the bolded. Learn to host an event rather than give up because of incompetence.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
Problem is that VEISHEA carried on for what? 60 years without incident. The last 20-30 have been marred with near annual issues. Maybe not full blown riots or multiple deaths. But there is always something. What do you think the police blotter looked like in the 40's, 50's or even 60's. They probably didn't even add up to what last year had.

ISU and Ames have tried. They were trying when I was in school in the early 90's during two of the more major disturbances. They tried in the early '00s when they effectively cancelled it, or made it dry(ish). The task force report lays out the issues pretty clearly, and I thought well.

People who don't want to accept the fact that the tone around VEISHEA has completely changed, simply have their head in the sand. It has become a culture of a drunkfest. Not much more. I did. And I'm far from alone on that.

I'm not exactly pleased at the prospect that it may end. But the simple fact is that it's in the students' hands and the past generation or two has proven they're not up to the task

What are these other traditions we're so concerned about losing? The parade? The week long sports tourneys? or the benders?

Near annual? Ten years is near annual. ******.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Are you seriously that naive to not know the financial benefit that VEISHEA plays to a lot of these campus groups? Some of these groups rely on VEISHEA as their main source of fundraising. I don't have the details on any of that, but I guess I figured that was pretty common knowledge. I wont argue that the benefits have to be weighed against the impacts; my point is that I don't think ISU/Ames has done a good job at trying to mitigate the impacts. They may think they have, but most everyone knew the "changes" that have been made in the past were going to do nothing to curb the negative effects.

You have to learn that big events like this are going to involve drinking. You cant stop it, you can only contain it. If you want the "party" to stop, the only method is to cancel VEISHEA. If you want to still have the benefits of VESIHEA, and try to get a better control on the party, there are definitely alternatives that could be explored. This task force has chosen to get rid of the party while failing to touch on the negative effects this will have on many organizations, and that is sad. I'm not arguing that we have a problem here; that much is obvious and I think we can all agree. I'm just arguing that there are other alternatives that could be effective and have yet to be explored.

And I'm not sure why we should be concerned as to what the citizens of Ames get out of this. We should be more concerned about what ISU students, faculty and alumni get out of it.

That's the most accurate thing you've said in this whole thread. I could not agree more.

As far as funding for random campus groups goes, boo-frickin-hoo. How do campus groups at universities that don't hold week long drunk-fests get their funding?

And regarding your last line, if you're not concerned about VEISHEA's benefit to Ames residents, then you can certainly see why so many of them want the event to go away. We get very little out of it that can't be replaced with the Boone County Fair.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Here, let me respond for Janny.

but but but but it's only nationally known for it's out of control parties and riots.

Well? Having ISU alumni living around the country doesn't count when talking about whether VEISHEA's true mission is nationally known. I'd wager if you asked 50 people from every state if they knew what VEISHEA was, most of them would either say they'd never heard of it or heard about one of the riots.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Here, let me respond for Janny.

but but but but it's only nationally known for it's out of control parties and riots.

is that untrue? The only time VEISHEA gets anything more than local press, it's because of riots.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
The pro-VEISHEA group has been pointing out in this entire thread that VEISHEA isn't really all that well known or unique, lots of other schools do similar things and they're more successful. I'd say that response is appropriate here.

Exactly. I'm ashamed that this phony task force didn't even bother reporting that they talked with other universities that have large celebrations that have notoriety for being an excuse to drink. Hell I can name 5 off the top of my head: kstate, Wisconsin, Indiana, penn state, ohio, and Illinois for example.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Agree'd with the bolded. Learn to host an event rather than give up because of incompetence.

Or, you know, take a few years off and get it right when you bring it back, which is almost certainly going to be what happens.

They should figure out how to host an event, but given recent history, letting them figure it out on the fly isn't a good idea.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Well? Having ISU alumni living around the country doesn't count when talking about whether VEISHEA's true mission is nationally known. I'd wager if you asked 50 people from every state if they knew what VEISHEA was, most of them would either say they'd never heard of it or heard about one of the riots.

is that untrue? The only time VEISHEA gets anything more than local press, it's because of riots.

yes, that's called news now a days. It gets reported on CNN and the likes, but who actually remembers it outside of the people associated with the university (aka us). A 15 second address during a newcast does not damage the rep of VEISHEA to those not tied to the university. How many news stories per day are you presented with, and how many of them do you actually remember?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Or, you know, take a few years off and get it right when you bring it back, which is almost certainly going to be what happens.

They should figure out how to host an event, but given recent history, letting them figure it out on the fly isn't a good idea.

100% agree. Like someone else posted, kill it now, bring it back on it's 100th anniversary, and take the time to explore solutions that might actually be effective.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That's the most accurate thing you've said in this whole thread. I could not agree more.

As far as funding for random campus groups goes, boo-frickin-hoo. How do campus groups at universities that don't hold week long drunk-fests get their funding?

And regarding your last line, if you're not concerned about VEISHEA's benefit to Ames residents, then you can certainly see why so many of them want the event to go away. We get very little out of it that can't be replaced with the Boone County Fair.

There are a lot of citizens in Ames who would just prefer the university went away. They just like to point out the handful of negative events associated with VEISHEA to help their vendetta against students. Most, like you, will refer to it as a "week long drunk fest" while completely ignoring the positives.

In the end, you're getting your way. I wish I could take the easy way out of other things in life. However, usually the easy way out hurts others. It's pretty obvious by what you have stated that you could care less about any of that, so long as the "week long drunk fest" is stopped.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
There are a lot of citizens in Ames who would just prefer the university went away. They just like to point out the handful of negative events associated with VEISHEA to help their vendetta against students. Most, like you, will refer to it as a "week long drunk fest" while completely ignoring the positives.

In the end, you're getting your way. I wish I could take the easy way out of other things in life. However, usually the easy way out hurts others. It's pretty obvious by what you have stated that you could care less about any of that, so long as the "week long drunk fest" is stopped.

Ya City of Ames is pretty naive about what the university does for them. They should consider themselves lucky with what the university brings in.

Just thinking about all the "smart growth" crap they put out.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

What are those positives, though? You've explained that some campus groups get funding, but what are the positives for your average Ames resident? What about VEISHEA, to an Ames resident, is worth saving? Because the answer has to be more than pies and a parade. Tell me why I should fight for it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

There can't be more than a max of 3 people in Ames who want the university to go away. That's just wild rhetoric right there.

longtimeclone

Dec 8, 2009
Up north
well that's the question now isn't it. Going down for good, or going down for a hiatus where it can be brought back in a few years (purposely made the perception to be it's down for the count

I think this is a temporary hiatus, but quite necessary to help remove some of the negative connotation and cool some of the tensions from the community.

Maybe it should be like the World Cup and only come around every 4 years.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What are those positives, though? You've explained that some campus groups get funding, but what are the positives for your average Ames resident? What about VEISHEA, to an Ames resident, is worth saving? Because the answer has to be more than pies and a parade. Tell me why I should fight for it.

For starters, it's a recruiting tool for the university, which drives people to Ames. You think all these Ames business's live without the university?

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
For starters, it's a recruiting tool for the university, which drives people to Ames. You think all these Ames business's live without the university?

So, in the next few years without VEISHEA, you think we'll see ISU lose enrollment?

How much? What percentage do you think will drop?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Again, the positives of the event are not meant for the general citizenry of Ames, it's meant for the Students, Faculty and Alumni of ISU and to be a showcase for the university. Its obvious the average Ames citizen is not willing to put up with an event for 6 days a year that benefits a university that their city would be nothing without.