Task Force Recommendation for VEISHEA

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Unless you can cut out the bad and live without the minimal, theoretical good.

If the good is so minimal, then how the hell has this event been going on for nearly 100 years? Oh that's right, because it's more then minimal.

Dear lord people, if the benefit of this event was so minimal, it would of ended decades ago.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
If the good is so minimal, then how the hell has this event been going on for nearly 100 years? Oh that's right, because it's more then minimal.

Dear lord people, if the benefit of this event was so minimal, it would of ended decades ago.

VEISHEA's benefit is sort of like the force, I guess. You can't see it. You can't touch it. You can't really even articulate it. But it flows through everything. And now that VEISHEA's gone, it's caused a great disturbance... as if millions of drunken voices suddenly cried out in terror, then were suddenly silenced.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
VEISHEA's benefit is sort of like the force, I guess. You can't see it. You can't touch it. You can't really even articulate it. But it flows through everything. And now that it's gone, it's caused a great disturbance... as if millions of drunken voices suddenly cried out in terror, then were suddenly silenced.

Someone needs to make a picture of the Leath Star now.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Not anymore, it would seem. At least in the near future, anyway. And seeing how ISU was involved with the decision to can the event, this really isn't a City of Ames vs. ISU fight.

Seems to be a fallback argument that some posters like to use. Its simply not true though, many Ames residents are tied to the University somehow (either Alumni or they work there). so why would they want it to go away? It seems to be a made up thing they come up with (maybe it was true at some point in the past?) any time the University and/or the city do something they don't agree with.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

My high school has held homecoming for like 75 years. Doesn't mean the benefits are really all that great, just means it's a tradition.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
My high school has held homecoming for like 75 years. Doesn't mean the benefits are really all that great, just means it's a tradition.

Does your high school pump tens of thousands of dollars into homecoming and spend a year planning it?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Janny is pretty entertaining. I take most of his post as the onion or daily show esque.

Okay, I think that's a compliment. So, if we're being conciliatory, then I'll admit to playing up the VEISHEA hater angle a little bit.

I don't hate the event. I've enjoyed lots of VEISHEA's over the years. It is an event with value. BUT...not in it's current format. It's got to change. What it used to stand for, has been lost over the years. Not holding the event for a few years will hopefully sort of reboot the whole thing. That's my hope, anyway.

Reactions: VeloClone

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Janny is pretty entertaining. I take most of his post as the onion or daily show esque.

I picture him sitting back in his lazy boy, sipping on scotch, and burning old pictures of students and visiting families having fun on campus during VEISHEA....wha ha ha ha! I get that you can be on the other side of this thing but there seems to be a certain few taking a sick delight in it being axed.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Okay, I think that's a compliment. So, if we're being conciliatory, then I'll admit to playing up the VEISHEA hater angle a little bit.

I don't hate the event. I've enjoyed lots of VEISHEA's over the years. It is an event with value. BUT...not in it's current format. It's got to change. What it used to stand for, has been lost over the years. Not holding the event for a few years will hopefully sort of reboot the whole thing. That's my hope, anyway.

Ok, good to see you're somewhat human with a shred of emotion, haha. :smile:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Does your high school pump tens of thousands of dollars into homecoming and spend a year planning it?

No. But the point is that not everything we keep doing is done because it's really beneficial in significant ways. VEISHEA is a tradition, and one that started out with far more benefits than drawbacks. That's no longer the case; the benefits haven't grown significantly, but the drawbacks have grown exponentially over the last 20-30 years. More risk for the same (mostly) sentimental reward. They need to find a way to bring that risk/reward ratio closer to what it was before this event started becoming much more known for the party than the actual event. Better to kill the party in the interim than to keep hosting it.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
What are those positives, though? You've explained that some campus groups get funding, but what are the positives for your average Ames resident? What about VEISHEA, to an Ames resident, is worth saving? Because the answer has to be more than pies and a parade. Tell me why I should fight for it.

Just as an observer that could care less either way (never went to VEISHEA as a student or alum), it seems to me that a lot of non-students and non-Ames people wind up there at some time during the week, no doubt spending some money. Surely VEISHEA had some sort of positive economic impact on the Ames community.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Where's the benefit in spending a lot of money and time in something? That's cost, not benefit.

So the university will be saving tons of time and money from now on, that's a good thing.

That's the thing. There is too much that goes into VEISHEA, and if there was no benefit, it would of been canceled decades ago. Hence, there is more then a "minimal benefit".

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
That's the thing. There is too much that goes into VEISHEA, and if there was no benefit, it would of been canceled decades ago. Hence, there is more then a "minimal benefit".

Maybe society and VEISHEA have changed since then?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Traditions aren't exactly an easy thing to just do away with, how many riots did it take for it to get to this point?

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014

Ok - sure.

But what if we're to the point where the negative publicity, overall costs (and I still maintain - with others - declining on campus interest) are exceeding this undefined benefit? It's a question that must be asked.

Perhaps we've hit the tipping point?

Edit: I don't know that I've said this - but I'm not really on the side of cancelling VEISHEA. But I do think that something has to be done about the party culture surrounding it, and it has to be eliminated And I have NO idea how to do it otherwise.

Last edited:

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

Ok, good to see you're somewhat human with a shred of emotion, haha. :smile:

No crap. Good to say I can agree with Janny on something. It does need a hiatus, and then hopefully actual changes can be made rather than the reactionary bs they tried before.

Help Support Us

Become a patron