Task Force Recommendation for VEISHEA

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
For starters, it's a recruiting tool for the university, which drives people to Ames. You think all these Ames business's live without the university?

Based on how much the city begs students to say they're from Ames when it's time for the census, i'm going to say no.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
What are those positives, though? You've explained that some campus groups get funding, but what are the positives for your average Ames resident? What about VEISHEA, to an Ames resident, is worth saving? Because the answer has to be more than pies and a parade. Tell me why I should fight for it.

I was hoping it would be cut back to just a Saturday thing where they could still do the parade, college displays, food, pies, etc. and then cut it off mid-afternoon or so. I'm not saying that solves the partying issue but cut it down so it isn't made out to be a week-long event which turns into a week-long party.

I think your "average Ames resident" (assuming it's someone who enjoys leaving their house to go partake in some local activities once in a while) really likes having a day where the city and university can mesh together and they can check out what's up on campus outside of a sporting event.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Near annual? Ten years is near annual. ******.

Point being, even the best year of VEISHEA the last 20 or so years, probably had more trouble/arrests/vandalism/etc - than the first 20, 30 maybe even 40.

The culture has done a 180 regarding this event.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
There can't be more than a max of 3 people in Ames who want the university to go away. That's just wild rhetoric right there.

Rhetoric? I said a lot, so I guess it all would fall under how you define that. I'm not saying there are thousands of residents, but easily more then 3. I work with one of them, and she has company.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Point being, even the best year of VEISHEA the last 20 or so years, probably had more trouble/arrests/vandalism/etc - than the first 20, 30 maybe even 40.

That craps happens at any event, every year. Should we cancel the Super Bowl because people get drunk at it?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Again, the positives of the event are not meant for the general citizenry of Ames, it's meant for the Students, Faculty and Alumni of ISU and to be a showcase for the university. Its obvious the average Ames citizen is not willing to put up with an event for 6 days a year that benefits a university that their city would be nothing without.

There are probably a couple reasons for that.

1. VEISHEA may have become a giant pain in the *** for at least some of those businesses.

2. VEISHEA isn't all that is ISU. The university will still be there, and just as strong as it is now, whether they have another VEISHEA or not. So sure, it benefits ISU, but it's not like ISU's budget will get slashed dramatically because they don't have VEISHEA for a few years.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
For starters, it's a recruiting tool for the university, which drives people to Ames. You think all these Ames business's live without the university?
VEISHEA is a recruiting tool for the university? I wonder how many people they woo with the promise of parades and cherry pies once a year.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Again, the positives of the event are not meant for the general citizenry of Ames, it's meant for the Students, Faculty and Alumni of ISU and to be a showcase for the university. Its obvious the average Ames citizen is not willing to put up with an event for 6 days a year that benefits a university that their city would be nothing without.

not supporting VEISHEA =/= not supporting ISU

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

As has enforcement of laws and public perception. Those go hand and hand. My dad always reminds me that back in the 70's, if a cop suspected you were OWI, they would just follow you home to make sure you got there OK.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
VEISHEA is a recruiting tool for the university? I wonder how many people they woo with the promise of parades and cherry pies once a year.

If they'd come at me with that instead of mail flyers, I would have bought it. But I like cherry pie more than most.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Ya City of Ames is pretty naive about what the university does for them. They should consider themselves lucky with what the university brings in.

Just thinking about all the "smart growth" crap they put out.

Or what? Is ISU going to pick up and move away if they don't start getting some respect? Give me a break. ISU has tons of clout in this town.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
As has enforcement of laws and public perception. Those go hand and hand. My dad always reminds me that back in the 70's, if a cop suspected you were OWI, they would just follow you home to make sure you got there OK.

So there were riots, tipped cars and the like all throughout VEISHEA's history? Cops just let it slide? Hell no - things are different. Where you're right is there is an overall and widespread cultural shift that goes with it. I 100% agree with you on that - and that's a subject for elsewhere. But it also gives credence as to why these types of events may not be viable any longer.

No matter what little excuses people want to make - this is not what it originally was meant to be. And not even close to what most suggest it is.

And I feel safe in saying that probably a good 90% of the people complaining about it possibly going away - are mad that they'll lose the party and couldn't give two craps about the parade and whatever else is held so near and dear about it - whatever else there is. Which is fine. That's about all VEISHEA was to me too.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Obviously, but VEISHEA is a part of ISU. Sometimes with good comes some bad. You have to learn to put up with the bad in order to receive the good.

Not anymore, it would seem. At least in the near future, anyway. And seeing how ISU was involved with the decision to can the event, this really isn't a City of Ames vs. ISU fight.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The lack of student participation or interest in VEISHEA activities was an issue I expected the task force to investigate. For example, the parade is a joke compared to what it used to be. No floats anymore, as no one wants to put in the work. Just "parade entries" consisting of groups marching behind a banner. VEISHEA used to have hundreds, maybe thousands of students directly involved. Now just a fraction of that. I expected the task force to recognize this change and try to solve it, but they did not.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The lack of student participation or interest in VEISHEA activities was an issue I expected the task force to investigate. For example, the parade is a joke compared to what it used to be. No floats anymore, as no one wants to put in the work. Just "parade entries" consisting of groups marching behind a banner. VEISHEA used to have hundreds, maybe thousands of students directly involved. Now just a fraction of that. I expected the task force to recognize this change and try to solve it, but they did not.

technically they did solve it. I mean, lack of participation in the parade really isn't going to be a problem next year, is it?