Penn State to honor JoePa

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I think you can get to a point where recognizing records isn't honoring him. It is acknowledging history. I really think that this is really the only part that I really have a different view than others.
Who cares about his records? HE ALLOWED CHILDREN TO GET RAPED SINCE THE 70s

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Maybe this is clearer. Paterno as a human being is very flawed and should be ridiculed for his inaction. Paterno as a football coach is still one of the best there have been. While we shouldn't honor him we shouldn't try and erase what he did. It still happened. Penn State should also get a lot of ridicule for systematically allowing this to happen and doing nothing.

So give Joe Pa, but then have another with Sandusky molesting a kid next to it?

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
I've got a good compromise. Let's honor JoePa with a plaque made out of a bar of soap and place it on the floor of a dark shower room in the football facilities so that anyone who wishes to admire the man can stand in the most meaningful place that represents that era at Ped state, and bend over to see what it was all about.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I've got a good compromise. Let's honor JoePa with a plaque made out of a bar of soap and place it on the floor of a dark shower room in the football facilities so that anyone who wishes to admire the man can stand in the most meaningful place that represents that era at Ped state, and bend over to see what it was all about.

I was thinking of a photo display. Nothing obscene, just standard head shots.
Paterno gets one with this 2 line caption: ### wins; OK with raping children.
Sandusky gets one: DC/Linebackers. Raped children.

That gets the whole history in there without getting graphic. They'd probably be smiling in their photos, but that just adds to the creepy factor and seems fitting.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
I was thinking of a photo display. Nothing obscene, just standard head shots.
Paterno gets one with this 2 line caption: ### wins; OK with raping children.
Sandusky gets one: DC/Linebackers. Raped children.

That gets the whole history in there without getting graphic. They'd probably be smiling in their photos, but that just adds to the creepy factor and seems fitting.
I like that. You could have that at the stadium and next to it in the wall say "the cost of their success" and just have the names of the victims and their ages. Most of the people would be anonymous, so it would probably be: John Doe I, 7; John Doe II, 13; John Doe III, 9...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I like that. You could have that at the stadium and next to it in the wall say "the cost of their success" and just have the names of the victims and their ages. Most of the people would be anonymous, so it would probably be: John Doe I, 7; John Doe II, 13; John Doe III, 9...

The names/ages could be bricks like a donation wall to symbolize their unwanted contribution to Ped State's football success.

We're screwed up, but we have good ideas.

Reactions: CloneLawman

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I think you can get to a point where recognizing records isn't honoring him. It is acknowledging history. I really think that this is really the only part that I really have a different view than others.

Yeah, acknowledging that while he was winning all those games, his defensive coordinator was raping little boys and he turned his head the other way.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Maybe this is clearer. Paterno as a human being is very flawed and should be ridiculed for his inaction. Paterno as a football coach is still one of the best there have been. While we shouldn't honor him we shouldn't try and erase what he did. It still happened. Penn State should also get a lot of ridicule for systematically allowing this to happen and doing nothing.

Just take a second to consider the absolute lunacy of this post. This is a University acting on their own free will. There is no obligation they are under to have a ceremony to commemorate whatever accomplishment this is (the story is so ridiculous in general I haven't even bothered with the specifics). You act like they are under some compulsion to recognize him.

And now I'm curious how you see this going:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, if you would please turn your attention to the middle of the field for a special presentation. Today, we honor the life, well no, not really, the legacy, well, better not, and the career-- yah, the career, that's it-- of Joe Paterno. We take this opportunity to do what Boards of Regents before us have done for many years, in ignoring the obvious character flaws that led to the continued molestation of young boys, as we look at Coach Paterno's many, many records. Let us stand and join in unison while we spend exactly 5 seconds booing Coach Paterno the person, followed by exactly 10 seconds of applause for his coaching feats."

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
Except he did his mandatory reporting.

You shouldn't report a rape because the law requires it, you should do it because its' s the right thing to do. Having knowledge of what was happening and not being bothered to do anything above the bare minimum because he had a football team to run says more about his character than anything else he has done.

Gomer80

May 17, 2011
Nevada, Iowa
I don't think it's a coincidence that Paterno died shortly after all this came out. They ruled his death as cancer related, but I think the guilt of everyone finding out what was allowed to go on under his leadership at PSU consumed him. He may not have pulled the trigger, but he was holding the gun. No amount of wins should be celebrated.

Reactions: cyclone13

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I have no pity towards him althoughbI don't really hate him per se. At the end of the day, he will be answering to The Man Above.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hey, guys - we've got some posts toeing the line of personal attacks. Let's stay on the good side of that line.

• Agree
Reactions: BikeSkiClone

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

I must've missed something...is Paterno being erased?

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014
Wait, so we should celebrate the wins and denounce the blatant disregard for children's well being simultaneously? That is like suggesting Germany should celebrate the greatness of the 1930's and early 40's while simultaneously denouncing the holocaust and the unwarranted aggression demonstrated by the "Third Reich".

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA
On one hand, Joe Pa essentially built that program. On the other hand, serial child rape for decades.... If they wanna praise him for building the program, ok I guess. If they say anything about him as a man or his character, they're lying through their teeth.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone