Penn State to honor JoePa

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
And profit greatly from it by not acting.

Exactly. When you look at it, Paterno's entire program, and all of his accomplishments, were built on a foundation of child rape. He (and the administration) chose to keep reaping the benefits and protect what they had built over the lives of children. There's no lower scum on this earth.

To try and go back and smooth over history is despicable. They're basically saying now that this has all blown over, lets try not to forget all the wins and glory he brought us. While putting those victims through all the torture AGAIN of seeing the man, who facilitated their suffering, being honored by tens of thousands of people.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
It makes perfect sense to me but I know I haven't explained it well. Basically Penn State can't ignore what he did. I feel like that's what they have tried to do.

Here it is easy: NO ONE, including Penn St, should honor anyone for anything that occurred while KNOWINGLY ignoring the child rape repeatedly occurring over the same time. It is DISGUSTING as a human being to celebrate what this man accomplished while he could have prevented a lot of lifelong heartache for thesE kids and their families.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Here it is easy: NO ONE, including Penn St, should honor anyone for anything that occurred while KNOWINGLY ignoring the child rape repeatedly occurring over the same time. It is DISGUSTING as a human being to celebrate what this man accomplished while he could have prevented a lot of lifelong heartache for thesE kids and their families.
Maybe this is clearer. Paterno as a human being is very flawed and should be ridiculed for his inaction. Paterno as a football coach is still one of the best there have been. While we shouldn't honor him we shouldn't try and erase what he did. It still happened. Penn State should also get a lot of ridicule for systematically allowing this to happen and doing nothing.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I don't really think anyone cares what the law is. He knew about kids getting molested by one of his employees, and did nothing because said employee was good at coaching football. He is Penn State football, he was the King of Happy Valley. He could have put a stop to it if it was important to him. Winning was more important

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Undisputed that HE WAS the law in Happy Valley. If he said it needed to stop, it would stop. If he said report sandusky, then it would be done. but he didn't do it. I don't get why some still think that "he has done his job".

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Maybe this is clearer. Paterno as a human being is very flawed and should be ridiculed for his inaction. Paterno as a football coach is still one of the best there have been. While we shouldn't honor him we shouldn't try and erase what he did. It still happened. Penn State should also get a lot of ridicule for systematically allowing this to happen and doing nothing.

Don't care he knowingly let a pedophile stick around. That tarnishes anything else he may have ever done. I don't understand how you can try to spin this. **** being a good football coach he is a pathetic piece of **** who doesn't deserve any honor.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Don't care he knowingly let a pedophile stick around. That tarnishes anything else he may have ever done. I don't understand how you can try to spin this. **** being a good football coach he is a pathetic piece of **** who doesn't deserve any honor.
Does he deserve it no, but he was still a great football coach.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
You make zero sense. I give zero ***** about what Paterno accomplished on the field because the whole time he was doing that he knew one of his assistants was raping little kids. And now they want to honor him?! Nope, his on field accomplishments mean zero to me now. I used to really like Penn State and Paterno because he seemed like a really good guy that was good at developing players. Now I have zero respect for him
I agree, and I also lose a lot of respect for people who think he didn't do anything wrong/was the victim of unfair media attention. When talking to penn state grads/fans, Joe paterno is like politics, religion, and money; you don't bring it up in polite conversation.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Sure, but ultimately that doesn't matter. Yeah, he was good at his job, but he also turned a blind eye to children getting raped.

And also, if he needed to do that to win (which I don't think he did and that makes it even worse), then he isn't that great of a coach

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

But you are saying he deserves to be honored.

When you screw up, you lose privileges. Paterno lost the privilege to be honored for winning football games when he helped to enable a child rapist.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Sure, but ultimately that doesn't matter. Yeah, he was good at his job, but he also turned a blind eye to children getting raped.

And also, if he needed to do that to win (which I don't think he did and that makes it even worse), then he isn't that great of a coach
Do you think we should erase him from football records? That's when I have a problem. I really don't think we are as far away from each other as you think and that is part of my point. Anyone who says anything that could possibly be viewed as supporting him in any way is told they are an awful person.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do you think we should erase him from football records? That's when I have a problem. I really don't think we are as far away from each other as you think and that is part of my point. Anyone who says anything that could possibly be viewed as supporting him in any way is told they are an awful person.

You're not even on topic. The topic is CELEBRATING and HONORING his football records.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yes, I think penn state should not honor the man. Honor the players if you must. But paterno? Not at all

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Personally, simply removing his name is too merciful in my opinion. What I would do is put a dash next to his name, put the coach below his as one, and say paterno' record was vacated because of what he did.

Edit for what I imagine it would look like:
If Penn State did it, it would look something like:
- Joe Paterno 409-136-3*

1. Rip Engle 104-48-4

* Joe Paterno's record has been vacated and is no longer considered valid due to his decision to ignore and refusal to act on the countless rapes of children by an assistant coach for decades.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jkclone

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You're not even on topic. The topic is CELEBRATING and HONORING his football records.
I know I haven't been very clear. It's hard to explain. You are right honoring him specifically is to much. Recognizing his accomplishments without honoring him is what I'm looking for. Eliminating records like they didn't happen is also to much.

For example there shouldn't be a problem honoring one of their championship teams. He should still be in the record books as winning all of those games.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I know I haven't been very clear. It's hard to explain. You are right honoring him specifically is to much. Recognizing his accomplishments without honoring him is what I'm looking for. Eliminating records like they didn't happen is also to much.

For example there shouldn't be a problem honoring one of their championship teams. He should still be in the record books as winning all of those games.

Same damn problem as everything else.
The championships are a result of enabling/authorizing a predatory pedophile in exchange for wins.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Too bad Joe Pa didn't worry more about what was going on in his own program while taking the high horse on Barry Switzer and the Sooner's problems.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin

Recognizing his accomplishments is honoring him though. Frankly, I like the Hitler comparison. Everyone knows Hiltler was a good orator and that the German economy improved under him. However, no one ever brings this up because we recognize that can't compare to everything bad that he did.

While paterno isn't as bad, he should be treated in the same way. We all know he won games, but that compare to what he did/let happen. So we shouldn't recognize his accomplishments

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Recognizing his accomplishments is honoring him though. Frankly, I like the Hitler comparison. Everyone knows Hiltler was a good orator and that the German economy improved under him. However, no one ever brings this up because we recognize that can't compare to everything bad that he did.

While paterno isn't as bad, he should be treated in the same way. We all know he won games, but that compare to what he did/let happen. So we shouldn't recognize his accomplishments
I think you can get to a point where recognizing records isn't honoring him. It is acknowledging history. I really think that this is really the only part that I really have a different view than others.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron