Penn State to honor JoePa

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Morally yes. He made an awful mistake not perusing it. I got the impression at that point Paterno was on a don't bother me with anything not relating to football policy.

My biggest issue is I've always felt like people treat him as if he actually was the rapist.

How exactly? He was fired. Big deal. Most people feel he shouldn't be celebrated. Big deal. He's been treated exactly how someone who KNOWINGLY looked the other way for decades.

Reactions: Angie

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Yes I would even forgive Sandusky. Holding grudges isn't healthy.

Good for you then. For most of us, i believe we don't hate or hold gruges against Paterno but that doesn't mean he is not innocent in this matter. He was an enabler and chose to let things continue. I am sure in a lot of workplaces, that action warrants termination and subject to lawsuits

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Good for you then. For most of us, i believe we don't hate or hold gruges against Paterno but that doesn't mean he is not innocent in this matter. He was an enabler and chose to let things continue. I am sure in a lot of workplaces, that action warrants termination and subject to lawsuits
I think people hold grudges at least still. I think eventually people will give them up but they still do now. He isn't innocent but what he did is not anywhere near as worse.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think people hold grudges at least still. I think eventually people will give them up but they still do now. He isn't innocent but what he did is not anywhere near as worse.

It's pretty ******* bad. Had he made any effort to stop it in the 70s, many many kids might not have been molested.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Look I'm not going to argue because I know I'm in the very small minority. My issue is when he was notified he notified his boss. That is all that he is required to do. Should he have insured more happened yes, but he didn't have to by law. Ignoring one of the most famous coaches does nothing to help the victims recover. Sandusky gets nowhere near as much outrage. Put your effort into helping victims instead of being outraged.
Wasn't Joe Pa a do things the right kind of way guy? He was supposed to be a super high character guy running a program to be looked up to. You think he would want to do something more than the bare minimum. A person like that should be outraged and disgusted at something like that and do everything in their power (which Joe Pa had a lot of) to stop it

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and aauummm

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
1. Sandusky gets as much outrage. He gets more. He's in prison like he should be.

2. I believe what has come out in the last few months shows Joe paterno knew what was going on long before the time he went to his bosses (when McQuery found out).

3. It's pretty simple. Penn state should not honor that coach. He made a huge mistake many times.

I agree with most of what you said, but I'm not sure "He made a huge mistake many times" quite captures the gravity of what Paterno (I refuse to call him JoePa anymore) was responsible for at Penn St. To me "made a huge mistake" implies that he didn't realize what he was doing or didn't understand the consequences of said actions. It has been reported over and over again that Paterno knew exactly what Sandusky was doing going back as early as the early 1970s (in other words, longer than I've been alive) and "he was heartbroken over it."

Even if he reported it when he first found out in the early 1970s, he would have known it was still going on for years - did he continue to report that young teenage boys were getting raped to an uncaring administration, or did he decide to take matters into his own hands - you know, something like at least fire Sandusky sometime in the 30 years between 1970 and 1999 when Paterno employed him?

That's the thing that people keep missing here - Paterno knew what Sandusky was doing going back to the early 1970s, yet he kept him in his employ until his retirement in 1999.

And yet people are going to continue to defend that Paterno is not culpable - that he didnt' foster an environment that allowed teenage boys to continue getting raped over at least a time span of 25 years by someone in his employ?

If you can't see how very wrong this is, then you may just be as sick as those involved.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
That's a straw man. Show me where people think he's actually worse than sandusky. The thing is, Sandusky has been punished, and everyone acknowledges he is a worthless piece of ****. The reason paterno is vilified so much is people still defend him and say "but but but we can't forget all his wins!" if everyone could just acknowledge that he was also a terrible person, it wouldn't be as bad.

Also for those of us that hate him, we don't want him to be forgotten, we just want him to be remembered correctly: as someone who looked the other way and put wins above the safety of children.

Last edited:

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Also, I shouldn't be surprised, but I can't believe how stupid the penn state administration is. Fans wanting to honor paterno is disgusting, but i'm not shocked by it. But I really expected the administration to be better than this and understand how terrible it is

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
JoePa.jpg

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Also, I shouldn't be surprised, but I can't believe how stupid the penn state administration is. Fans wanting to honor paterno is disgusting, but i'm not shocked by it. But I really expected the administration to be better than this and understand how terrible it is
This is a very underappreciated part of this story.

For my own belief in the general goodness of most people, I hope this tribute ends up being a really awkward event. Actually, I hope that it is cancelled but that's probably unrealistic.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ped State wants to be called Ped State for eternity. It's their choice and they've made it over and over.

• Agree

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Look I'm not going to argue because I know I'm in the very small minority. My issue is when he was notified he notified his boss. That is all that he is required to do. Should he have insured more happened yes, but he didn't have to by law. Ignoring one of the most famous coaches does nothing to help the victims recover. Sandusky gets nowhere near as much outrage. Put your effort into helping victims instead of being outraged.

Sandusky is one of the few people on the planet that I look forward to reading their obit. So that's my outrage level.

There are mandatory child abuse reporting laws for a reason and if you know for a fact it is going on and look the other way, you are a **** person - looking at you Joe Pa.

• Agree

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron