Penn State to honor JoePa

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
No but he didn't rape them. Sandusky is the one that deserves the outrage. Paterno should have done more to stop it but he didn't rape the kids.

Let's say you start dating a girl and you really, really like her. She's become special to you. She came from a home with a lot of siblings, raised by a single mom, and was vulnerable.

A few months later, you find out that her uncle who visits to wash his clothes a few times a week has been arrested for molesting her and all of her siblings repeatedly for 30+ years. You'd be legitimately pissed at the uncle, but might feel some empathy for the mom and want to go offer her support. So you do, and find out that she knew the entire time that he was systematically violating her daughters and ruining their lives. She would walk in, see it was happening, turn her head and walk out, and let him come over two days later to do a new load of laundry - even making him dinner.

You don't think the mom has any responsibility there to protect the kids under her own roof?

• Optimistic
Reactions: 3TrueFans

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Let's say you start dating a girl and you really, really like her. She's become special to you. She came from a home with a lot of siblings, raised by a single mom, and was vulnerable.

A few months later, you find out that her uncle who visits to wash his clothes a few times a week has been arrested for molesting her and all of her siblings repeatedly for 30+ years. You'd be legitimately pissed at the uncle, but might feel some empathy for the mom and want to go offer her support. So you do, and find out that she knew the entire time that he was systematically violating her daughters and ruining their lives. She would walk in, see it was happening, turn her head and walk out, and let him come over two days later to do a new load of laundry - even making him dinner.

You don't think the mom has any responsibility there to protect the kids under her own roof?
Look I'm not going to argue because I know I'm in the very small minority. My issue is when he was notified he notified his boss. That is all that he is required to do. Should he have insured more happened yes, but he didn't have to by law. Ignoring one of the most famous coaches does nothing to help the victims recover. Sandusky gets nowhere near as much outrage. Put your effort into helping victims instead of being outraged.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

That was....oddly specific.

• Optimistic
Reactions: djkent01

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Look I'm not going to argue because I know I'm in the very small minority. My issue is when he was notified he notified his boss. That is all that he is required to do. Should he have insured more happened yes, but he didn't have to by law. Ignoring one of the most famous coaches does nothing to help the victims recover. Sandusky gets nowhere near as much outrage. Put your effort into helping victims instead of being outraged.
We're talking about kids getting raped for years, maybe a little more than the bare minimum should be expected of him.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That was....oddly specific.

I had to rewrite it, like, three times. First it was a dad and a mom, but since the dad would actually live in the house and have access to it by law (instead of being a visitor like Sandusky in the later years), that didn't work. So, I had to change it to someone who would come over to use their facilities and abuse that. It was not my best work. :|

• Optimistic
Reactions: 3TrueFans

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Wow. The My Lai troops would be proud.
"I did my job. What more do you want from me?"

The man was the most powerful person in town for decades. If he wanted the child rapes to end, they end immediately. He could stop it by snapping his fingers and chose the money and glory instead.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I am not demonizing you at all - just saying that, he clearly saw that nothing happened after he "reported" it. A day passed, a year, a decade. If children are being raped in your locker room, don't you think it's a moral obligation as a pillar of the community and shaper of young minds to keep blowing that whistle until something gets done? Fire him, report him to the police, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: ExCyment

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

1. Sandusky gets as much outrage. He gets more. He's in prison like he should be.

2. I believe what has come out in the last few months shows Joe paterno knew what was going on long before the time he went to his bosses (when McQuery found out).

3. It's pretty simple. Penn state should not honor that coach. He made a huge mistake many times.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Have you considered the idea that every time he is praised, celebrated, or even defended (as you are doing here), the implication is that his ability to win football games is more important to Penn St fans than the lives, safety and sanity of Sandusky's victims?

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Paterno was a great coach but a pathetic human being. Most of us choose to be humans than being blinded by merely athletic or professional achievements.

This when integrity plays role. And for me Joe didn't have any integrity and in my book (that definitely doesn't count in front of PSU admin), he lost the rights to be respected and admired.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I am not demonizing you at all - just saying that, he clearly saw that nothing happened after he "reported" it. A day passed, a year, a decade. If children are being raped in your locker room, don't you think it's a moral obligation as a pillar of the community and shaper of young minds to keep blowing that whistle until something gets done? Fire him, report him to the police, etc.
Morally yes. He made an awful mistake not perusing it. I got the impression at that point Paterno was on a don't bother me with anything not relating to football policy.

My biggest issue is I've always felt like people treat him as if he actually was the rapist.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Morally yes. He made an awful mistake not perusing it. I got the impression at that point Paterno was on a don't bother me with anything not relating to football policy.

My biggest issue is I've always felt like people treat him as if he actually was the rapist.

Let's put yourself in the victim's shoes or let's pretend that your family is Sandusky's victim. Will you absolve Paderno?

Help Support Us

Become a patron