Penn State to honor JoePa

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Failure to act when given the chance is still guilty. To not act and know that children are being raped is the most chicken **** garbage piece of **** trash of a person that can be alive short of the person doing the raping.

And profit greatly from it by not acting.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
And profit greatly from it by not acting.

It's certainly enough that only proud pedophiles would be building a shrine to him. There's some rational landing point in between burning down the entire town and honoring a man who enabled a rape ring. Penn State and its football fans have never remotely been in that rational place, they have chosen to be Ped State at every opportunity.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
It's certainly enough that only proud pedophiles would be building a shrine to him. There's some rational landing point in between burning down the entire town and honoring a man who enabled a rape ring. Penn State and its football fans have never remotely been in that rational place, they have chosen to be Ped State at every opportunity.
yeah, the fans made this bed. If, when the news broke about Paterno (or even when the report came out), they had turned on Paterno and denounced him, they would come across fine. But instead they doubled down and have defended him and rationalized at every opportunity

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
yeah, the fans made this bed. If, when the news broke about Paterno (or even when the report came out), they had turned on Paterno and denounced him, they would come across fine. But instead they doubled down and have defended him and rationalized at every opportunity
Paterno doing this hurt me. I respected him and felt duped.

Also, I tried to rationalize some way that OJ didn't do it while watching the White Bronco chase.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Sandusky is one of the few people on the planet that I look forward to reading their obit. So that's my outrage level.

There are mandatory child abuse reporting laws for a reason and if you know for a fact it is going on and look the other way, you are a **** person - looking at you Joe Pa.
Except he did his mandatory reporting.

Here's the thing. I would have had him finish the year and then never again honor him. I wouldn't have tried to remove previous honors. The removing things they previously did is what bothers me. Penn State needs to own what he did and what it brought them. They can't try and hide it and pretend they didn't benefit.

My problem really isn't with Paterno's destroyed reputation. My problem is Penn State tried to distance itself when Penn State knew about it and let it continue to happen.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

Here's the thing. I would have had him finish the year and then never again honor him. I wouldn't have tried to remove previous honors. The removing things they previously did is what bothers me. Penn State needs to own what he did and what it brought them. They can't try and hide it and pretend they didn't benefit.

My problem really isn't with Paterno's destroyed reputation. My problem is Penn State tried to distance itself when Penn State knew about it and let it continue to happen.

But you think others are over-reacting when they have that problem with Paterno, who absolutely had the power to remove Sandusky with or without the administration acting?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

No he didn't. He didn't report it to anyone in the 70's.

I'm not sure why you are so sure that he did everything right.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
But you think others are over-reacting when they have that problem with Paterno, who absolutely had the power to remove Sandusky with or without the administration acting?
I'm not real sure how to explain it. Paterno is Penn State football. They have to own him good and bad. Disowning him doesn't do anything other than make people feel good.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not real sure how to explain it. Paterno is Penn State football. They have to own him good and bad. Disowning him doesn't do anything other than make people feel good.

This doesn't make sense to me. they don't want to disown him. And if they really wanted to own him good and bad, they'd have some sort of event encouraging people to speak up. Not to honor him.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

They refuse to own the bad.
Maybe if they went with something like "He won games while kids got raped," they'd be owning both good and bad. That's not going to happen because it's all about the wins.

• Agree
Reactions: jkclone

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
They refuse to own the bad.
Maybe if they went with something like "He won games while kids got raped," they'd be owning both good and bad. That's not going to happen because it's all about the wins.
Agree I don't think that they are owning the bad very well. I think I finally talked through it enough to really explain my point though.

They need to own the bad that comes with Paterno. They've already enjoyed the good things he did. Now remembering the bad things and trying to prevent them from ever happening anywhere again is what they should do.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I guess I just don't understand the thinking. You don't think they should apologize for their own complicit actions, and also rebuke his? By not even acknowledging his terrible (in)actions, they are latently approving them. That's not a good PR move, nor is it the moral thing to do.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Agree I don't think that they are owning the bad very well. I think I finally talked through it enough to really explain my point though.

They need to own the bad that comes with Paterno. They've already enjoyed the good things he did. Now remembering the bad things and trying to prevent them from ever happening anywhere again is what they should do.

I sort of get your point. But by honoring paterno, they are doing the opposite.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I sort of get your point. But by honoring paterno, they are doing the opposite.
It makes perfect sense to me but I know I haven't explained it well. Basically Penn State can't ignore what he did. I feel like that's what they have tried to do.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO

Paterno's first "report" was in 2002 (after Sandusky didn't coach there anymore, but was still showering with kids at PSU facilities - wtf) and it was to the PSU AD not the police, so no he didn't do his mandatory reporting. Victims are now saying that he knew (they confronted him) about this in the 1970s. I literally can't believe you're making the case that Joe Pa is getting the short end of the stick.

A graduate assistant reports seeing Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the showers at Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus, around 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 1. The assault on the boy, who Kelly said "appeared to be about 10 years old," is reported to Paterno the next day. Paterno, in turn, passes the information to Curley one day later.

The graduate assistant, who has since been identified as current Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary, meets with Curley and Schultz, but not Paterno, some 10 days later. According to McQueary, he told them that he had seen Sandusky having sex with a boy in the showers. No report is made to police or to any child protection agency — a breach of state law, prosecutors say.

Two weeks later, Curley tells McQueary that Sandusky's keys to the locker room have been taken away and that the incident was reported to The Second Mile charity.

Sandusky is banned from bringing children onto the Penn State campus in a decision reviewed and approved by Spanier, the university president.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Paterno's first "report" was in 2002 (after Sandusky didn't coach there anymore, but was still showering with kids at PSU facilities - wtf) and it was to the PSU AD not the police, so no he didn't do his mandatory reporting. Victims are now saying that he knew (they confronted him) about this in the 1970s. I literally can't believe you're making the case that Joe Pa is getting the short end of the stick.

A graduate assistant reports seeing Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the showers at Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus, around 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 1. The assault on the boy, who Kelly said "appeared to be about 10 years old," is reported to Paterno the next day. Paterno, in turn, passes the information to Curley one day later.

The graduate assistant, who has since been identified as current Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary, meets with Curley and Schultz, but not Paterno, some 10 days later. According to McQueary, he told them that he had seen Sandusky having sex with a boy in the showers. No report is made to police or to any child protection agency — a breach of state law, prosecutors say.

Two weeks later, Curley tells McQueary that Sandusky's keys to the locker room have been taken away and that the incident was reported to The Second Mile charity.

Sandusky is banned from bringing children onto the Penn State campus in a decision reviewed and approved by Spanier, the university president.
I don't buy the earlier stuff. Plus the law said you had to report to your immediate supervisor.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It makes perfect sense to me but I know I haven't explained it well. Basically Penn State can't ignore what he did. I feel like that's what they have tried to do.

Unless they specifically talk about what he did from at least the 70s through the 2000s when they honor him, they are clearly ignoring what he did.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't buy the earlier stuff. Plus the law said you had to report to your immediate supervisor.

Why don't you but the earlier stuff. It was in legal documents long before the Sandusky stuff broke.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
You make zero sense. I give zero ***** about what Paterno accomplished on the field because the whole time he was doing that he knew one of his assistants was raping little kids. And now they want to honor him?! Nope, his on field accomplishments mean zero to me now. I used to really like Penn State and Paterno because he seemed like a really good guy that was good at developing players. Now I have zero respect for him

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I don't really think anyone cares what the law is. He knew about kids getting molested by one of his employees, and did nothing because said employee was good at coaching football. He is Penn State football, he was the King of Happy Valley. He could have put a stop to it if it was important to him. Winning was more important

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron