RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
This thread has become "The Diary of SpokaneCY - Dropping Knowledge, Life Lessons, and Yuk Yuks"...

I'm starting to think it's way better going through life shaking your fist at things you don't understand and ranting at things that go against your thinking.

These are wonderful, valuable life lessons I'm learning from anonymous chat board fans. I'm just sorry I never had kids since these are the lessons that truly pay off in life! After all, how can you argue about the value of tearing someone down to make yourself feel better and to rationalize a decision that went your way?

I remember I asked a super hot girl on a date and she said no. Obviously a lesbian and probably a ***** too!

JS choose UNLV - I don't care and won't have to follow his progress. But best of luck to all of these kids as they make important life decisions that have no impact on me.

Sincerely,

A newly petty, bitter, shallow-minded ISU fan - formerly SpokaneCY.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
FIFY. We all went to ISU to become professionals. Vaughn did just fine even though he didn't choose us.
I think the point is that, with better coaching and support, he'd be in line for an even bigger payday. As of now, his future earnings are more limited.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
Ok guys I'm here baring a white flag and looking to only respond and understand some of your positions. I am not looking to troll or flame you. All of you are disappointed and or angry the Juiston chose UNLV. I get it your coach put in a lot of work building a relationship and he didn't choose you guys.

As someone else mentioned you wouldn't be so perturbed if it had been say a Blueblood school. You could easily rationalize this fact. However, lots a comments suggest that the only way he could choose UNLV over ISU is because of cheating. If you have evidence to suggest this then bring it forward.

UNLV has a lot to offer basketball recruits versus the coaches having to 'cheat'.

1. UNLV albeit down for many years has a strong and storied brand. They play in the 18K seat Thomas & Mack which up until this last couple season touted some very high attendance numbers. UNLV just spent $72M on its renovations and expansion.
  2. UNLV number of NCAA appearances are similar to ISU. UNLV also has a National Championship. The UNLV brand has taken a beating but it's still a storied brand (watch the HBO special). Some recruits like the idea of being the one to help bring it back to national prominence. Many of this year's recruits feel this way.
  3. UNLV Basketball has its own dedicated $12M facility built in 2012. USA Basketball uses it for training and well NBA Sumner League.
  4. As mentioned above the Thomas & Mack and UNLV Basketball facility (both owned by UNLV) hosts NBA Summer Leagues and USA Basketball. This provides great level of interaction and relationships with the next level.
  5. Las Vegas is a great town and very nice to live in. Obviously many of you will disagree but unless you have actually lived in the city you really don't know. "Great city, great people, phenomenal area to go to school," Hardy said of UNLV."
  6. Las Vegas hosts number of AAU and other high school tournments in which high level recruits are exposed to the city and UNLV.
  7. Las Vegas is becoming a professional sports town with additonal of NHL Golden Knights and NFL Raiders. And some to be more.
  8. For families wanting to visit and attend games it easier, more affordable and more desirable than almost any city in the country.
  9. UNLV's down years have taken a toll on national televised games however all games are available online if not broadcast on TV. But televised games always swing on a pendulum even for more notable programs. UNLV will have its share of nationally televised games.
  10. Marvin Menzies and his assistant coaches are good recruiters and good people. Recruiting is about relationships as much as anything else. I'm sure you've interviewed for a job before and came away saying 'I really want to work for that person', 'they can offer me what in want in a company' or the opposite. Recruits feel the same way and generally it's a big part of your decision. Sometimes the biggest.
  11. Yes. Las Vegas is not Ames. That's not a knock on Ames. Las Vegas has some of the best restaurants, nightlife and entertainment one can offer. Why wouldn't this be attractive? It also doesn't mean the athlete won't take his development seriously. Read Amauri Hardy's response on why he committed; he said that he wanted exposure of a big city as part as his development. He said "I think Las Vegas can prepare me for the long run," he said. "If I have a chance to make the NBA, I can get a taste of (a big city) before the fame. If I can handle Las Vegas, I should be able to handle the fame of possibly being an NBA player."
  12. UNLV was also selling a recruiting package with other players. Signing McCoy was a big factor in both Juiston and Hardy decision.
You can say hookers and blow and all the other stuff. But quite honestly UNLV is ultra careful with recruiting based on the tiff between Tark and the NCAA. They pay extra close attention to UNLV and so playing by the rules is critical.

So there are more things that UNLV can offer besides resulting to hookers and blow.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Ok guys I'm here baring a white flag and looking to only respond and understand some of your positions. I am not looking to troll or flame you. All of you are disappointed and or angry the Juiston chose UNLV. I get it your coach put in a lot of work building a relationship and he didn't choose you guys.

As someone else mentioned you wouldn't be so perturbed if it had been say a Blueblood school. You could easily rationalize this fact. However, lots a comments suggest that the only way he could choose UNLV over ISU is because of cheating. If you have evidence to suggest this then bring it forward.

UNLV has a lot to offer basketball recruits versus the coaches having to 'cheat'.

1. UNLV albeit down for many years has a strong and storied brand. They play in the 18K seat Thomas & Mack which up until this last couple season touted some very high attendance numbers. UNLV just spent $72M on its renovations and expansion.
  2. UNLV number of NCAA appearances are similar to ISU. UNLV also a National Championship. The UNLV brand has taken a beating but it's still a storied brand (watch the HBO special). Some recruits like the idea of being the one to help bring it back to national prominence. Many of this year's recruits feel this way.
  3. UNLV Basketball has its own dedicated $12M facility built in 2012. USA Basketball uses it for training and well NBA Sumner League.
  4. As mentioned above the Thomas & Mack and UNLV Basketball facility (both owned by UNLV) hosts NBA Summer Leagues and USA Basketball. This provides great level of interaction and relationships with the next level.
  5. Las Vegas is a great town and very nice to live in. Obviously many of you will disagree but unless you have actually lived in the city you really don't know.
  6. Las Vegas hosts number of AAU and other high school tournments in which high level recruits are exposed to the city and UNLV.
  7. Las Vegas is becoming a sports town with additonal of NHL Golden Knights and NFL Raiders. And some to be more.
  8. For families wanting to visit and attend games it easier, more affordable and more desirable than almost any city in the country.
  9. UNLV's down years have taken a toll on national televised games however all games are available online if not broadcast on TV. But televised games always swing on a pendulum even for more notable programs.
  10. Marvin Menzies and his assistant coaches are good recruiters and good people. Recruiting is about relationships as much as anything else. I'm sure you've interviewed for a job before and came away saying 'I really want to work for that person', 'they can offer me what in want in a company' or the opposite. Recruits feel the same way and generally it's a big part of your decision. Sometimes the biggest.
  11. Yes. Las Vegas is not Ames. That's not a knock on Ames. Las Vegas has some of the best restaurants, nightlife and entertainment one can offer. Why wouldn't this be attractive? It also doesn't mean the athlete won't take his development seriously. Read Amauri Hardy's response on why he committed; he said that he wanted exposure of a big city as part as his development. He said "I think Las Vegas can prepare me for the long run," he said. "If I have a chance to make the NBA, I can get a taste of (a big city) before the fame. If I can handle Las Vegas, I should be able to handle the fame of possibly being an NBA player."
  12. UNLV was also selling a recruiting package with other players. Signing McCoy was a big factor in both Juiston and Hardy decision.
You can say hookers and blow and all the other stuff. But quite honestly UNLV is ultra careful with recruiting based on the tiff between Tark and the NCAA. They pay extra close attention to UNLV and so playing by the rules is critical.

So there are more things that UNLV can offer besides resulting to hookers and blow.

So you guys don't offer hookers, blow or wins. Still don't get it

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

2. UNLV number of NCAA appearances are similar to ISU. UNLV also a National Championship. The UNLV brand has taken a beating but it's still a storied brand (watch the HBO special). Some recruits like the idea of being the one to help bring it back to national prominence. Many of this year's recruits feel this way.
  5. Las Vegas is a great town and very nice to live in. Obviously many of you will disagree but unless you have actually lived in the city you really don't know.
  7. Las Vegas is becoming a sports town with additonal of NHL Golden Knights and NFL Raiders. And some to be more.
  9. UNLV's down years have taken a toll on national televised games however all games are available online if not broadcast on TV. But televised games always swing on a pendulum even for more notable programs.

I haven't been on here discussing Shakurs decision, and I hope he has a very successful career. But I think the "hookers and blow" is more a shot because ISU fans are pissed, one because whenever UNLV beats out ISU, UNLV fans come out of nowhere to bash Iowa State just because they are in Ames, IA. If that is the sole reason for the decision of recruits, then that is something Iowa State will never be able to get past. But the thing that really irks our fans, is the AAU coaches and pseudo-handlers that have caused recruits to choose UNLV over Iowa State, even when Iowa State is in a better situation program wise and has the exact same position to offer and a better conference to play in. I'm not saying that is cheating, but when 3rd parties get involved, it makes it seem less genuine, and peoples first assumption is payments somewhere or a position on some staff. I'm not saying it is one way or the other, I am just trying to clarify what, IMO, is most of our fans true feelings.

Last edited:

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX

2. UNLV number of NCAA appearances are similar to ISU. UNLV also has a National Championship. The UNLV brand has taken a beating but it's still a storied brand (watch the HBO special). Some recruits like the idea of being the one to help bring it back to national prominence. Many of this year's recruits feel this way.
  5. Las Vegas is a great town and very nice to live in. Obviously many of you will disagree but unless you have actually lived in the city you really don't know. "Great city, great people, phenomenal area to go to school," Hardy said of UNLV."
  7. Las Vegas is becoming a professional sports town with additonal of NHL Golden Knights and NFL Raiders. And some to be more.
  9. UNLV's down years have taken a toll on national televised games however all games are available online if not broadcast on TV. But televised games always swing on a pendulum even for more notable programs. UNLV will have its share of nationally televised games.

Just answer one question: do you think Dave Rice ran a pro-style offense? That should tell me all I need to know.

Reactions: MartinCy

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
LOL at #9....."All games available online"
Let's be real, only UNLV fans watch their games.

They just finished last in a mid major conference. I'll be able to chop off two of my fingers, and still count on one hand, the number of UNLV games I can watch next season.

• Funny
Reactions: Stereotype

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
There is only one way that a college kid can afford to dine at Vegas's best restaurants.

Also that is a laugher from Hardy on many levels.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
I haven't been on here discussing Shakurs decision, and I hope he has a very successful career. But I think the "hookers and blow" is more a shot because ISU fans are pissed, one because whenever UNLV beats out ISU, UNLV fans come out of nowhere to bash Iowa State just because they are in Ames, IA. If that is the sole reason for the decision of recruits, then that is something Iowa State will never be able to get past. But the thing that really irks are fans, is the AAU coaches and pseudo-handlers that have caused recruits to choose UNLV over Iowa State, even when Iowa State is in a better situation program wise and has the exact same position to offer and a better conference to play in. I'm not saying that is cheating, but when 3rd parties get involved, it makes it seem less genuine, and peoples first assumption is payments somewhere or a position on some staff. I'm not saying it is one way or the other, I am just trying to clarify what, IMO, is most of our fans true feelings.
While I agree that AAU coach's and 3rd parties get involved (UNLV has had their share), I'll I'm saying is UNLV has more to offer than most consider.

I don't know about Juiston and if an AAU coach or 'handler' helped swayed his decision. Even if it did, a kid still has to make a decision and he owns it. But even mentioning suggests that UNLV didnt somehow play fairly. Do you think Prohm has ever had a recruit with a 'handler' or AAU coach and did he reject any recruit because it it?

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
There is only one way that a college kid can afford to dine at Vegas's best restaurants.

Also that is a laugher from Hardy on many levels.
Sorry but UNLV athletes aren't dining at Las Vegas' best restaurants unless their parents are in town and even then most likely not.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
While I agree that AAU coach's and 3rd parties get involved (UNLV has had their share), I'll I'm saying is UNLV has more to offer than most consider.

I don't know about Juiston and if an AAU coach or 'handler' helped swayed his decision. Even if it did, a kid still has to make a decision and he owns it. But even mentioning suggests that UNLV didnt somehow play fairly. Do you think Prohm has ever had a recruit with a 'handler' or AAU coach and did he reject any recruit because it it?

As a fan of UNLV, sure you think it has a lot to offer. But objectively it doesn't. Fact.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
LOL at #9....."All games available online"
Let's be real, only UNLV fans watch their games.

They just finished last in a mid major conference. I'll be able to chop off two of my fingers, and still count on one hand, the number of UNLV games I can watch next season.
It was the worst season in the history of the program. Even with that UNLV is the #5 ranked program with highest winning percentage.

nmdpa1.jpg

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Also, UNLV was bad last season but they will probably be even worse this year.
Highly unlikely. Their talent is considerably better. Even with bad coaching, and that talent playing AAU style basketball, they can still beat many teams in an average mid major conference.

LasVegasReb

Apr 28, 2017
Seattle
UNLV guy comes on to defend UNLV. This will be good.
Poor UNLV fan has no idea of UNLV's corrupt history or garbage program. Oh, well. Chance to learn!
Don't worry I won't be on long. However I grow up in Las Vegas in the 70's and lived there until 2000's. I am quite aware of UNLV's history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron