RECRUITING: Shakur Juiston commits to UNLV (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I don't care one way or another about this guy or his career, nor do I hold any ill will toward him. It's just kinda like seeing a really hot girl with some complete doofus. You want to know how it happened.
Is this directed at me? I way out-kicked my coverage.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
That's pretty crappy.
Somebody on a KU board said the AAU coach is known as a pre-professional agent. That sounds about right.

I couldn't find anything about an AAU coach, but his high school coach was investigated by the New Jersey Athletic Assoication and fired in February for having 6 foreign players living in his house. Seem like a wonderful guy (Jimlad). Maybe he will show up in Las Vegas soon.

Over the course of four mornings in late January and as recently as Thursday, NJ Advance Media observed the same pattern at Griles' condo: The coach would leave with the point guard around 8, and the remaining players would stagger departures over the next 30 minutes. The trailing players would either walk alone, in tandem or once in a group as big as three.

The only departure from the routine came Thursday when five players emerged. The sixth, according to two people familiar with the situation at Eastside, had been exiled from the house permanently. A week earlier, that player was found alone and hungry by a district teacher after spending a night alone in a local Dunkin' Donuts, sources said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/06/nj-high-school-coach-players-living-condo/

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/hollow_promises_and_disposable_players_how_hs_hoop.html

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/page/paterson_eastside_basketball_new_jersey.html

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
They have a new coaching staff at UNLV. Maybe the kids really like them and believe in the message they are giving and believe that the results under this coaching staff will be different than the results under the previous coaching staff. Those would be basketball reasons.

Because a 5-star recruit or the number one ranked juco could find a situation that includes a coach who has made it past the first round of the tourney and a school that would allow him to play against quality competition if he was basing the decision on basketball reasons. I'm not saying that every player who is basing the decision on basketball reasons has to pick the best coach in the toughest conference that they have the choice of, but you don't drop that far down the list when you have substantially better options. But don't let me get in the way of you trying to be a contrarian just because.

Reactions: rholtgraves

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
This has been stated a few times now. Prostitution IS NOT not legal in the county in which Las Vegas resides. Much of the rest of the state has legal prostitution, but hookers, as most might imagine as independent contractors aren't really allowed. Counties are allowed to license brothels, of which there are 19 in 8 of the 16 counties, typically a little way away from population centers in Nevada. The two closest brothels in Nevada are about 1.25 hours away from UNLV's campus. Not a long ways, but not IN Las Vegas either.

When we are slamming a young man for choosing another school over ours, we should make sure we are accurately representing the illegal activities that school is likely conducting because he did not smartly choose ours.

If they are providing hookers in Las Vegas, then it is against the law. If they took him far out of town to a brothel, it may be against NCAA rules, but not against the law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Nevada
You mean those dudes flicking cards at you every 3 steps want you to drive an hour and a half away? Now I really don't know why anyone goes to UNLV.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Maybe we should just look at the glass as being half full. We didn't get him, but this is probably the second best scenario - nobody of interest got him, either. It's better than him playing for our competition, and also better than if we had to hear about his greatness at some non-competitor that has games that we'd watch. Now it's almost like he never really existed.
"Good take" -Adam Gray

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
The all-in strategy worked for Wigginton but this is a prime example that it can backfire too.
There's a big difference between Newark and Canada. Most of the time it's best to keep on driving if you go through Newark....... literally and figuratively speaking.

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
The fact he was even considering UNLV was a red flag to me. Give me someone who appreciates winning, fan support, and a good college.

I sometimes wonder if these recruits can read thus influencing their college pick when it comes to academics or lack thereof. Somehow Kansas comes to mind. Maybe UNLV is the same.

Last edited:

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Menzies coached New Mexico State for a long time and did a good job there. I'm disappointed about Juiston but it's done. We need to regroup obviously with Beverly, pray we get brown or alstork, get Morrow and just cross the fingers and hope we make the tourney next year.

Agree on the need to regroup. Just saying that the team I watched play (got beat twice by Air Force if that tells you anything) was, well.....meh. Nothing against Menzies other than what is coming out of Vegas sure does smell funny now days.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I couldn't find anything about an AAU coach, but his high school coach was investigated by the New Jersey Athletic Assoication and fired in February for having 6 foreign players living in his house. Seem like a wonderful guy (Jimlad). Maybe he will show up in Las Vegas soon.

Over the course of four mornings in late January and as recently as Thursday, NJ Advance Media observed the same pattern at Griles' condo: The coach would leave with the point guard around 8, and the remaining players would stagger departures over the next 30 minutes. The trailing players would either walk alone, in tandem or once in a group as big as three.

The only departure from the routine came Thursday when five players emerged. The sixth, according to two people familiar with the situation at Eastside, had been exiled from the house permanently. A week earlier, that player was found alone and hungry by a district teacher after spending a night alone in a local Dunkin' Donuts, sources said.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/06/nj-high-school-coach-players-living-condo/

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/hollow_promises_and_disposable_players_how_hs_hoop.html

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/page/paterson_eastside_basketball_new_jersey.html

Having players live with you hardly makes you a bad person.

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Did I not see a tweet of Shakur's again today..."Be different" ? Maybe going to UNLV when others thought he wouldn't was different. Guessing his talk with Harrison Barnes had nothing to do with Ames or ISU. Heck maybe not even basketball.

Last time I checked "Be different" didn't mean you needed to "Be ignorant." Wonder when Shakur wakes up and realizes he was played.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It sure would be interesting to know from these guys that have picked a lesser program like UNLV in the last decade then us, that they would rather go play in front of small crowds and lower level teams and still not have a good chance at making the tourney.

You are discounting a hundred other factors that matter to these kids.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Bad move by the kid. Will play for a bad team in a lesser conference. UNLV always has shady recruiting so it's not surprising. I kind of feel bad for the kid. Oh well.

Looks like they will get Beverly and he plays hard and will be a Bowie type role player. That will be a positive addition. They can also play small next year with Babb at the 4 at times. Maybe somehow they can get Brown or Alstork

And when he goes there he will form life-long friendships with his teammates who he will sweat with, train with, play with, cry with, die with, etc... Not sure I see the downside for him and his life other than a few ISU fans who are appearing small minded and mad because he rejected our program. But my guess is he is way more concerned about his future than he is about our future. Priorities seem to be in order.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Juiston committing to UNLV makes zero sense from a basketball perspective.

Perhaps there are other perspectives that were given more weight by JS? Maybe he wants to be part of building a winner. Maybe he liked the coaches better. Maybe he didn't have the christian life that plays an important role in our coaching staff's lives. Maybe diversity is an issue. Maybe he didn't like the players on our current team. Maybe the weather, maybe a girl, maybe it wasn't as good a fit from his POV then it was from ours. Maybe a 21 year old man has different priorities than a chat board full of aging mid-west white guys.

SJ has no impact on this program. Had he come here he would have played. He's not so someone else will play. The program trumps any individual and I'm proud of what we're becoming under CMC and CSP.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It also says that this kid didn't even have the courtesy to give Coach Prohm a call and let him know his decision.

NOT true but feel free to spread that info. The "journalist" said "I WOULDN'T BE SUPRISED if......."

The article is on-line should anyone remotely care about correcting "fake news".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron