New Music Releases 2017

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Radiohead is releasing a 20th anniversary of OK Computer, called OKNOTOK 1997 2017.

If you're a bit of a completist, it's the first time that there have been official releases of "I Promise" "Man of War" and "Lift." Excellent songs, and I'm happy they are getting the treatment they deserve (and now I don't have to maintain some of the old bootlegs I've had with them on it.)

Reactions: 1100011CS

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires "Youth Detention" came out last Friday.

Possibly my favorite album of the year. Snarling punk rock energy, southern rock boogie, ripping guitar riffs, ridiculously good lyrics dissecting modern day America (particularly the South and racism).

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
New Royal Blood album out June 16.

I've listened to the new Royal Blood album a ton over the last few weeks. Very, very good.

It amazes me how "full" of a sound they manage to get from just a bass guitar and drums. And it's not just the studio production. I've seen them live before, and they still somehow manage to bring that full sound with just the two of them.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Anyone listen to Shakey Graves' and the Horse he Rode in On yet? I think it got released last week - all b-sides, unreleased tracks and home recordings. Very lo-fi but I liked it.

It was quiet here on Monday, so I listened to all of that and the National's new album.

I liked it. I do probably prefer some of his higher-energy stuff, but I also really enjoyed it. "Love, Patiently" and "Wither" were two of my favorites. I also added his cover of "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" to my covers playlist. :)

• Agree
Reactions: jburke and jbindm

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Little off topic but how do you all discover new music? I've found a lot of new bands that I really like because of this thread

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Little off topic but how do you all discover new music? I've found a lot of new bands that I really like because of this thread

I use Spotify lists that I follow that are updated frequently - usually the more official ones, or users I like. I just specify the genres that I want, and I make sure to give a "thumbs up" to the stuff that I really like, so that it pools my data and narrows my recommendations.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Same here. IMO it sounded really watered down and radio friendly. I thought Traveler was edgy and had a lot more depth.

I came to a 100% different conclusion. I thought Traveler had some good songs, but a lot more radio slickness (Traveller, Parachute, Fire Away). A Room has a lot more rock and roll grit to it, to my ears.

FWIW, most of the songs on A Room actually predate the songs on Traveller.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Apple Music, like other music apps, has a cater feature that takes into account the types of bands and music you listen to the most.

I have found tons of new bands over the last year just from looking at the recommended for you or new music playlists they curated for me

Reactions: CloniesForLife