New Music Releases 2017

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Also if anyone is a fan of Rap/Hip-Hop/R&B, Pigeons and Planes is a very solid website or follow on Twitter for up-and-coming artists as well as the bigger names newer music. They have other things as far as stories and interviews go, which are great reads as well, but I have found a good amount of artists just from their Best New Artist's of the Month lists.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Toro y Moi just released another song from his upcoming album Boo Boo.

'You and I'

not my favorite, but still excited for this album. He is like Shaky Graves for me in the sense that his studio stuff may not translate always, but his live performances are amazing.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Spotify Discovery Weekly. Pitchfork and Consequence of Sound. Also when bands announce shows because of my love for live music I usually give albums a few listens depending on genre

These are all good ones. I'd also recommend Paste Magazine. They're a little heavy on frivolous rankings and listicles, but I have discovered a few new bands through their site.

Reactions: jburke

yez

Feb 17, 2010
Austin, Texas
It was quiet here on Monday, so I listened to all of that and the National's new album.

I liked it. I do probably prefer some of his higher-energy stuff, but I also really enjoyed it. "Love, Patiently" and "Wither" were two of my favorites. I also added his cover of "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" to my covers playlist. :)

How are you able to listen to that album? It doesn't even come out until Sept.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

yez

Feb 17, 2010
Austin, Texas
It took a few listens to get into it, but the new 311 album, Mosaic, is really good. One of their best to date.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
It took a few listens to get into it, but the new 311 album, Mosaic, is really good. One of their best to date.
This might be the been there done that side of me.... I don't like it, ever since they got off drugs the albums seem forced to too produced and over-calculated.....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
These are all good ones. I'd also recommend Paste Magazine. They're a little heavy on frivolous rankings and listicles, but I have discovered a few new bands through their site.
Always forget about Paste, there is also NPRmusic for free listens occasionally...

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
This might be the been there done that side of me.... I don't like it, ever since they got off drugs the albums seem forced to too produced and over-calculated.....
As much as it is a very very legitimate reasoning, I always find the "ever since ______ stopped doing drugs" perception funny/somewhat sad.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I just preordered Profits of Rage. The first song sounds pretty good. I am a huge Rage fan, Love Chuck D, and Love Cyprus. The first song basically is the Rage against the Machine sound with new singers. Still like ZDLR as a better singer but this will do.

Also hearing good Reviews about 311's new album.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I came to a 100% different conclusion. I thought Traveler had some good songs, but a lot more radio slickness (Traveller, Parachute, Fire Away). A Room has a lot more rock and roll grit to it, to my ears.

FWIW, most of the songs on A Room actually predate the songs on Traveller.
This may be, but this doesn't mean songs weren't retooled to have a fresher, more "current" sound. Don't get me wrong, it's still not radio country, I just thought it sounded a lot more accessible than Traveler. I'll have to give it another listen before I see him later this year.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I really started getting some deep listening in on the New/Old Shakey Graves, I believe it was an old re-release album with live recording and rough cuts. But I think with the more exposure that he gets as a song writer he will be noted as one of the better current young singer songwriters, just soo much dept to his scaled down approach. Would recommend a listen....

Also today, Waxahatchee dropped a new LP, really good so far, kinda of a Pixies-esque Kim Dail sound on a lot of songs, which personally is my favorite Pixies....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
A little behind on last week, Foster the People, Goldfinger, and Tyler the Creator dropped last week, this coming week, Arcade Fire, Manchester Orchestra and Cage the Elephant....

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Radiohead is releasing a 20th anniversary of OK Computer, called OKNOTOK 1997 2017.

If you're a bit of a completist, it's the first time that there have been official releases of "I Promise" "Man of War" and "Lift." Excellent songs, and I'm happy they are getting the treatment they deserve (and now I don't have to maintain some of the old bootlegs I've had with them on it.)
I really like the disc of extras on OKNOTOK. Man of War is excellent (my 7 year old just commented on how much he likes it, too). Lift is super catchy. I dig the percussion on Lull and Meeting in the Aisle. Hard to believe that b sides and unreleased material can make for such a good "album".

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The National's full album came out last week; I am really digging it.