THE SUNDAY AFTER: Texas

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
In another game-related thread someone brought up using K-State or Iowa's schemes to give ISU a chance, with the argument being that scheme isn't the issue--that's likely true since ISU is well, ISU.

My problem with the other night, and after watching Jay's videos, is that there were things that worked that fit ISU's personnel, and they didn't go back to them, and things that were available that they didn't attempt to attack.

It's not that someone like KSU's actual scheme is something amazing. They just simply work to be very good at very few things that fit their players, to build off of. That's what I wish would have been the case the other night instead of trying to do everything.

Execution's an issue too...players need to make plays when the chance arises.

I think everyone on this board should "adopt" another team along with ISU then watch and document all the coaching failures and report back.

• Agree
Reactions: tazclone

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
If you watch CMC on the sidelines, he's basically never in any huddle. He's pretty much hands off. Kind of like KF.

Not that there is anything wrong with that approach, most head coaches are that way I think, you need to trust your staff, but at some point you might have to interject. Don't do it a half hour after you've lost to say.... "yeah, we definitely needed to get David Montgomery the ball more".
Hands off is not accurate. He is actively involved on head phones. I saw a talented qb who panicked when he saw the continued rush coming at him. He never saw that rush in intramurals. Unluckily, they will all learn from a loss. Especially the qb.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Hands off is not accurate. He is actively involved on head phones. I saw a talented qb who panicked when he saw the continued rush coming at him. He never saw that rush in intramurals. I'mluckily, they will all learn from a loss. Especially the qb.

And I saw an OC, who while he may be a good offensive line coach, is clearly not a good offensive coordinator yet.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It reminded me of the wv game last year. Lanning had just run all over TT, I know it was TT. But he only got in for one play and it was successful without the holding call. Campbell said he should have been in more. So are we going to move Montgomery to linebacker now since we couldn't figure out how to utilize him?

ya, that is exactly what I was thinking about. Manning absolutely refused to go to Lanning on short yardage situations, even though it was obvious it was working. It was all about they had this many guys in the box, etc. I say, BS, if it is 3rd and 1, put in Lanning and let him run. I never saw it stopped last year except for a total crap holding call that wouldn't have been called on anyone but ISU.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
ya, that is exactly what I was thinking about. Manning absolutely refused to go to Lanning on short yardage situations, even though it was obvious it was working. It was all about they had this many guys in the box, etc. I say, BS, if it is 3rd and 1, put in Lanning and let him run. I never saw it stopped last year except for a total crap holding call that wouldn't have been called on anyone but ISU.

I said this after the game on Thursday. This game reminded me of the West Virginia game. It is very disappointing that Manning and Campbell have learned very little since then.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
And I saw an OC, who while he may be a good offensive line coach, is clearly not a good offensive coordinator yet.

You're right. The team you saw play Thursday will only be, and will always be, that exact same team forever. Every game Manning has coached we only ever score 7 points and we always throw 3 INTs. Groundhog Day. Jeepers!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Very good analysis Jay. No doubt the offense and coaching staff did not make the needed adjustments. Will this team and coaching staff learn from this, gawd I hope so.

PLEASE don't forget we just set university records with Manning at the helm. Put this clunker in context.

I'm thinking we are just baiting our next opponent, who is it again, oh yeah, and we get our 1st win over OU in like forever! We make all the in game adjustments, play a perfect game. Everyone raves about how much progress we've made, yada.

The criticism is deserved, IMO, but come on guys, a little balance might be in order.