JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Iowa State way! (whatever that means)

His style is similar to Eustachy in how he berates players. He might be easier on them off the court but geez he is like a mad man on the sidelines. Anybody know if he is like that or worse during practices?

I 100% know from a rival B12 staff member what that means. I'm sure you can take a stab at it as well. Further discussion about it is a "cave-like" topic.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Serious Question, do the women on these elite teams truly enjoy the games where they win by 40 or more points? I've always in my own life prefered games that were close and exciting, win or lose.

You have to wonder if being on a UCONN WBB team that wins 100+ games in a row is any fun or challenge? I support a football/soccer team that won literally everything in the late 1970's and 1980's. Winning was expected, it happened and it was not the same feeling at all.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
And by this many on this board. Remember I posted early in the season, after seeing her in practice and games, that she was not a Big 12 talent.
Then others on here said how could that be, because some recruiting service called her "JUCO player of the year" or whatever.
This is not a huge loss, except as you said, she like contact, which many of our players don't. But there are at least two dozen high school players here in Iowa who could fill that role.
I could not agree with you more. I posted practically the same thing and was informed by several that I was off target as well. She pretty much performed just as I expected. JUCO IS NOT THE PLACE TO GO FOR POSTS. Guards, yes, there have many good contributing guards found there over the years. I am also mystified by the JC point guard ISU offered a scholarship to here in Texas. Just like Hopoate I'll be glad to be wrong here. She is not a bad player at all, but I really wonder if she can compete that well in the Big 12.

Reactions: acoustimac

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I knew it wouldn't take long before the "Fire Fennelly" posts began. Everyone assumes it's his fault she is leaving when it probably was her reading the tea leaves of what playing time she would see next year (being reduced). When the coach meets with players at the end of the season he lays out what is expected in the off-season. The decision to leave was made. I also find it amazing how many folk on here berate Fennelly's style equating him to a maniac beast who abuses players. And yet...his former players come out of the woodwork to support him. Think about that.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I knew it wouldn't take long before the "Fire Fennelly" posts began. Everyone assumes it's his fault she is leaving when it probably was her reading the tea leaves of what playing time she would see next year (being reduced). When the coach meets with players at the end of the season he lays out what is expected in the off-season. The decision to leave was made. I also find it amazing how many folk on here berate Fennelly's style equating him to a maniac beast who abuses players. And yet...his former players come out of the woodwork to support him. Think about that.

I'm curious to know which of the post newcomers coming in you see taking playing time away from her.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I see Kristen Scott getting more playing time and we will have Lauren Mills who will see playing time in this position. So along with Mer you have 3 players and Bride would have been the fourth.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I see Kristen Scott getting more playing time and we will have Lauren Mills who will see playing time in this position. So along with Mer you have 3 players and Bride would have been the fourth.

Was Kristen still hurt at the end of the season or did she just lose time to Claire? Seemed she was getting time early and then not so much even with Bride out. And Lauren Mills is a total longshot. No one had ever heard of her or seen her play before she signed at the semester. The staff hasn't even seen her play. Penciling her in as seeing playing time in the Big 12 is pretty optimistic. Likely a better chance of the Utah gal coming in and seeing time.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and gizzsdad

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
It seemed that after Kristen's concussion her time was greatly cut. Talking to another season ticket holder he felt she was still fighting some of the effects. As to Lauren, we will have to wait and see how this works out. She will have been with the team for a semester and all summer to get to know the other players. The Utah player will be someone we also will have to wait and see how she works into the playing time. No matter, that shows there will be a number of players to be looking for playing time.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006

Angie ... would you care to respond?

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I agree with you. I was excited to see her in the exhibition games and came away thinking
she would give us the post presence we haven't seen since like Prins and before. However,
IMO, her lack of quickness and athleticism soon became apparent in Division 1 play. While I don't like loosing players, either, I don't see this as a big loss.
This is the first time she played in this kind of competition. She was on a learning curve. I am amazed you folks seem to deny some players a learning curve while completely ignoring the learning curve of other players, (ala Burkhall) who has always been lacking on the defensive side, but has made slow progress.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

I don't care if they fire him or not. I will state 3 facts.
1) The program is just over .500 over the past 4 years. 63-60
2) he has a player retention problem. His team will be young again next year
3) spoke with a former starter and all conference player who called playing here "the darkest time of my life"

What is going to make next year any different than the past 4? They guy can coach, I know that but to say he is good with kids today is a fair question IMO

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I could not agree with you more. I posted practically the same thing and was informed by several that I was off target as well. She pretty much performed just as I expected. JUCO IS NOT THE PLACE TO GO FOR POSTS. Guards, yes, there have many good contributing guards found there over the years. I am also mystified by the JC point guard ISU offered a scholarship to here in Texas. Just like Hopoate I'll be glad to be wrong here. She is not a bad player at all, but I really wonder if she can compete that well in the Big 12.
I think you have to take into consideration the ability to draw big name players. Any coach right now would probably have similar trouble drawing big name recruits here. I think Fennelly does a pretty good job, considering the difficulties. The idea that we can draw in top recruits in my feeling every year gets more impossible. Even when Fennelly was winning more, he wasn't doing it with top recruits.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
3) spoke with a former starter and all conference player who called playing here "the darkest time of my life"

What is going to make next year any different than the past 4? They guy can coach, I know that but to say he is good with kids today is a fair question IMO
Well, next year's lineup will be dramatically improved over the one of this season. With the addition of Middleton (for just one year) and Joens, you have two instant stars who will impact our offense in a huge way.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
This is the first time she played in this kind of competition. She was on a learning curve. I am amazed you folks seem to deny some players a learning curve while completely ignoring the learning curve of other players, (ala Burkhall) who has always been lacking on the defensive side, but has made slow progress.

Well, no problem with giving "learning time." However, the post noted "lack of quickness and athleticism" which are hard to improve on a "learning time program." I loved her toughness and willing to fight under the basket. Again, I was in high hope for her as posted after first exhibition game.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Well, no problem with giving "learning time." However, the post noted "lack of quickness and athleticism" which are hard to improve on a "learning time program." I loved her toughness and willing to fight under the basket. Again, I was in high hope for her as posted after first exhibition game.
Was Hornecek quick? But I will say that he was a very reasonable defensive player, through learning about the other player and anticipation.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb

Question for you, what did this player say on senior day? I can not remember one player talking this way so which time was she not telling the truth, senior day or when she was talking to you? I see these comments from time to time from people who want to see the coach gone (even when saying that they don't care) and always claim they have the inside info. I am waiting for the day for one of these players who have said one thing at senior day and now are saying something 180 degree different. Then I will believe that what the insiders are saying.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC and mitten1975