WBB: Kennedy-Hopoate transferring out

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Seldom post on this board, but feel compelled to weigh in. Long time fan and season ticket holder.
Bill IS Iowa state WBB
Took a terrible mess and made us pretty good for a few years. Built a fan base.
Bill loves ISU.
The game has changed since our best days - much more size and athleticism.
Bill has not been able to recruit athletes to compete in the current game.
He has some dead wood on his staff.
I do not agree with how Bill treats the players.
Some players respond positively to his coaching style, but many do not.
Bill Lost a lot of fans over the Schroll incident.
I know 9 fans well enough to call friends, all 9 believe Bills treatment of players in inappropriate .
I only know two former players very well. One hates Bill the other is non commital.
Regarding senior day speeches, there has been more than a couple players who did not even mention Bill.
I can relate, my old coach was like Bill. Did he help me grow up and toughen up - yes. Was it a fun experience - not really.
IMO - kids today are less likely to respond positively to Bills style.
If you survive the experience you will likely be a better person. The question is - can you take it?
I have a friend who’s daughter played high level WBB. When discussing Bill he said, would you want your daughter to play for Bill? His answer was no. My answer would probably be no - you don’t need to be treated that way. Certainly, you would need to go with your eyes wide open.
A common complaint I hear, during games Bill does little coaching, only yelling.
The fan base is old and shrinking. Only hope to reverse that is winning.

So, what does that all mean? I would like to believe that Bill could change his style, but really do not think that is possible. He is who he is. Demanding is good, berating players is not. Do I want Bill fired - no. Would I swap him for Brenda or Jenny - absolutely. I realize that is not going to happen. I feel like Bill is a lot like Eustachy - minus all the off court antics. I guess I do believe that his era has passed.

I agree with everything in your analysis. But help me to understand your conclusion. If what BF is doing can't work in todays game, and if BF can't recruit players for the current WBB game, and if BF is inappropriately berating players, and if BF has an ineffective staff, and most of all, if BF can't change these things, why do you want him to remain as coach? What is to be gained by allowing him to continue coaching ISU WBB?

Last edited:

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
the one her parents wrote and sent to cyclone nation....what about the Jess's parents' letter to CF?

Sorry I missed those letters. Would like to have read them as on the first player there were maybe some issues that would have been interesting to know since I know people who live a couple houses away from her parents. As to Jess, what happened to her was terrible.She was my favorite player ( I even got into it with one of our fans in KC during the tourney the year before when he started berating her) on that team and I was there that night he went after her. I thought it was on called for as she was playing just like the others at the time.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
I fully know that BF has his flaws but I wonder when the biggest example of his misconduct that continues to be brought up is from six years ago with Schroll (btw - also when he was dealing with throat cancer). I go to pretty much every game and do not think that he is any harder on our players than any other coach in the B12.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
I agree with everything in your analysis. But help me to understand your conclusion. If what BF is doing can't work in todays game, and if BF can't recruit players for the current WBB game, and if BF is inappropriately berating players, and if BF has an ineffective staff, and most of all, if BF can't change these things, why do you want to remain as coach? What is to be gained by allowing him to continue coaching ISU WBB?
Fair question. Not sure I have a great answer. I guess I am a loyal person, I respect loyalty. I think Bill deserves to go out on his own terms. Glad I am not Jamie. Maybe I am just afraid to “pull the trigger”. - as if it is my choice. Sorry, best I can do. BTW - I did not mean the whole staff was ineffective.

jahoney

Sep 7, 2012
I fully know that BF has his flaws but I wonder when the biggest example of his misconduct that continues to be brought up is from six years ago with Schroll (btw - also when he was dealing with throat cancer). I go to pretty much every game and do not think that he is any harder on our players than any other coach in the B12.
The throat cancer is no excuse for what he did. Bill's conduct on the sideline and in practices are not what I would expect of a head coach.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
The throat cancer is no excuse for what he did. Bill's conduct on the sideline and in practices are not what I would expect of a head coach.

I can tell you don't watch/follow very many women's teams. watch a few games and while at times Bill has gone too far he is not the exception but more in line with many coaches I have observed.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
It’s not as big of a difference as men’s basketball. Actually Drake might be a better program than Iowa State right now. Jenny could get it done at Iowa State. I have no doubt on that.

Drake plays in the little league of conferences. That's why an undefeated conference champion got such a low seed. They have a zero resume.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It’s not as big of a difference as men’s basketball. Actually Drake might be a better program than Iowa State right now. Jenny could get it done at Iowa State. I have no doubt on that.

She might be able to coach at a high level, but can she recruit the kind of players you need to be successful in the Big 12? That's another level compared to the MVC.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I could not agree with you more. I posted practically the same thing and was informed by several that I was off target as well. She pretty much performed just as I expected. JUCO IS NOT THE PLACE TO GO FOR POSTS. Guards, yes, there have many good contributing guards found there over the years. I am also mystified by the JC point guard ISU offered a scholarship to here in Texas. Just like Hopoate I'll be glad to be wrong here. She is not a bad player at all, but I really wonder if she can compete that well in the Big 12.

Everyone obviously knows there aren't any good posts in the jucos. :)
Oklahoma http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208398804

Purdue https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...r-college-post-commits-purdue-women/93120826/

Hopoate is kind of a mystery. ESPN ranks the best jucos and she was the top post in the country. So, are the rankings that bad or is there something else at play here? In my mind she just never found her "rhythm" this year. Just seemed out of sync. Was it the adjustment to this level of ball? Only she and the coaches know.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
So you are saying that losing players has not been a problem for him? That losing key players has not hurt his teams? Really? Yes, other programs lose players too, no question but I cannot prove that those losses have damaged on floor success like it has ISU. Maybe it has, I just don't know. The way a lack of retention has hurt him and the way he always talks about looking for those who fit the "Iowa State Way" like it is some secret sauce, I happen to think that he does have retention problems.

You are correct, I will be unwilling to address the third any further but it happened and no matter how much you don't want to believe it. It is true.

What's wrong with your statement is that he really hasn't lost key players. The lists have been published and very, very few had any major impact on the program.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
She might be able to coach at a high level, but can she recruit the kind of players you need to be successful in the Big 12? That's another level compared to the MVC.

Not that it matters to this thread but I would guess she can probably recruit. She's already probably recruiting better than everyone else in her league. It can't be all coaching x's and o's to go 18-0 back to back years. Lisa Bluder was successful enough at Drake to get the Iowa job and she never ran the board in the league.

Unless you hire a successful P5 coach away from someone else it's always going to be a question as to how well someone adapts to a bigger stage.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Oklahoma http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=208398804

Purdue https://www.jconline.com/story/spor...r-college-post-commits-purdue-women/93120826/

Hopoate is kind of a mystery. ESPN ranks the best jucos and she was the top post in the country. So, are the rankings that bad or is there something else at play here? In my mind she just never found her "rhythm" this year. Just seemed out of sync. Was it the adjustment to this level of ball? Only she and the coaches know.

Actually I don't think ESPN ranks JC WBB at all. What was quoted at the time was some services I'd never heard of, "Kennedy-Hopoate was rated the No. 1 JUCO prospect from All Star Girls Report and the No. 2 prospect from Jump Off Plus." Had to look them up, ASGR is subscription and not something I ever see referenced. Jump Off is a very spendy coaches only subscription.

Hopefully the paid services reported her actual real height and not the imaginary one published. And I never bought the she's not in shape because she had to study all summer. I get not in full basketball shape but totally out of shape was not encouraging. For whatever reason, she was over hyped.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx

So what happened to this Diagne post that Purdue took. I've never seen her name ever listed in a Purdue box score one single time?

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
So what happened to this Diagne post that Purdue took. I've never seen her name ever listed in a Purdue box score one single time?

She is shown on the roster but you are correct it does not show her playing at all. She must have gotten hurt (was hurt at the JuCo level) and sat out the season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Flashback: All of this JC talk has reminded me that 10 years ago juco Jocelyn Anderson helped save our season when Weiben had her knee injury. She was supposed to be a role playing depth player but ended up starting and holding her own with rebounding and blocks.

Bad year for injuries as Ross also tore an ACL. The Ross injury happened seconds before the half about five rows from my seats that day in Minnesota. Knew immediately it was BAD. :(

/endflashback

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Flashback: All of this JC talk has reminded me that 10 years ago juco Jocelyn Anderson helped save our season when Weiben had her knee injury. She was supposed to be a role playing depth player but ended up starting and holding her own with rebounding and blocks.

Bad year for injuries as Ross also tore an ACL. The Ross injury happened seconds before the half about five rows from my seats that day in Minnesota. Knew immediately it was BAD. :(

/endflashback
I was at that game as well.

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames

Not so fast. I really admire Jenny for the job she's done. But i don't think anyone on this board can predict her success at a big school. Remember the Drake coach (name ?) that everyone was slobbering over that went to Wisconsin a few years ago and laid an egg? Let's see how she does against TX A&M - that should tell us something.

• Creative
Reactions: kcdc4isu