WBB: Kennedy-Hopoate transferring out

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Question for you, what did this player say on senior day? I can not remember one player talking this way so which time was she not telling the truth, senior day or when she was talking to you? I see these comments from time to time from people who want to see the coach gone (even when saying that they don't care) and always claim they have the inside info. I am waiting for the day for one of these players who have said one thing at senior day and now are saying something 180 degree different. Then I will believe that what the insiders are saying.

It is not my place to out her, In all likelihood I probably should not have included that part, the minute I tell you what she said on senior day, she is identified and that needs to be her doing that not me.

I really don't care if you believe the post or not. That simply is not my problem and I am not remotely interested in making a bad business decision of buying out a women's basketball coach when their sport already loses us money. In addition, Bill will be in ISU's HOF one day so he can decide when to hang it up as he has earned that right IMO. I really don't care no matter how much you think I dislike him.

What do I think? I think he has a problem identifying the right fits for his "Iowa State Way" or else he would not be losing this many players. He is not losing bench players, he is losing contributors or part-time starters who make up nice, convenient excuses like "getting on with my life" or "mutual decision to move on" when the truth is, they simply cannot play for the man anymore. I think he needs to adapt to today's kid (whether I like that idea or not) and start treating them better instead of dropping F-Bombs on someone's daughter.

I went to games when Pam and Theresa Becker coached. I had a relative on scholarship at that time so I fully understand what he has accomplished here. I also look at just about every other coach in the women's game today and I see none of them talking to their athletes the way Bill talks to his.

Fair enough?

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Well, next year's lineup will be dramatically improved over the one of this season. With the addition of Middleton (for just one year) and Joens, you have two instant stars who will impact our offense in a huge way.
I am optimistic on both, especially Joens. There is a lot riding on them for sure. My fear is that neither kid sees senior day in an Iowa State uniform.

I hope that 5 years from now, I am getting killed when this thread is revived and I was totally wrong. I would almost wager that I won't be.

• Agree
Reactions: Cydkar and ISC

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Question for you, what did this player say on senior day? I can not remember one player talking this way so which time was she not telling the truth, senior day or when she was talking to you? I see these comments from time to time from people who want to see the coach gone (even when saying that they don't care) and always claim they have the inside info. I am waiting for the day for one of these players who have said one thing at senior day and now are saying something 180 degree different. Then I will believe that what the insiders are saying.

Seriously, you think even an unhappy player is going to turn the senior statement into an angry rant? Highly unlikely.

I don't have insider info, I just know a few former players casually (just alumni acquaintances) and a non-hero worshipers perspective. One reflected to me about Bill grabbing her jersey and screaming profanities at her. It was not shared as a glowing endorsement. This was about the time Jess left (my fav player ont hat team) and I started to look at him differently. Another I know absolutely hates him. A third absolutely loves him from what I've heard. It's a mixed bag. The gals that don't love him are not generally broadcasting it to the high heavens. I won't even know any of these gals if not via alumni events so they can still be proud and active alumni and not a Bill supporter or disciple. Proud and active alumni aren't prone to dissing ISU.

You can still love and support Fennelly without burying your head in the sand and calling everyone with a different take a liar.

Last edited:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I don't care if they fire him or not. I will state 3 facts.
1) The program is just over .500 over the past 4 years. 63-60
2) he has a player retention problem. His team will be young again next year
3) spoke with a former starter and all conference player who called playing here "the darkest time of my life"

What is going to make next year any different than the past 4? They guy can coach, I know that but to say he is good with kids today is a fair question IMO

So no other women's basketball program ever loses people? I see this comment over and over again like ISU is the only school to ever have players transfer?

Take a look at some of the powers in the B12 and guess what they have turnover. Oklahoma lost their top two recruits from 2016-2017 who were both top 75 recruits in Chelsea Dungee (to Arkansas) and Nancy Mulkey (to Rice). Imani Wright transferred from Baylor to Florida State. Beatrice Monmpremier from Baylor to Miami, FL. Alyssa Dry from Baylor to become a personal trainer. AJ Alix from TCU to Florida State. In 2015, Roshunda Johnson transferred from Ok. State to Mississippi State, and three others left Ok. State the same year. Leticia Romero transferred from K-State to Florida State. Alexis Brewer from WVU to WKU

How about UConn losing Andra Espinosa Hunter to Mississippi or Lili Thompson transferring from Stanford to Notre Dame?

The link below shows transfers in WBB for 2017, guess what lots of "big" name programs have transfers, so I guess they have player retention problems too.

http://www.soonertimesbb.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=28120&forum_id=3

You only have one fact which is your first one, the second one is your opinion, and the third one until proven is not a fact.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You can be hard on players without crossing the line. I see no problem with being hard on players and challenging them - not accepting good enough. I have done this as a coach. At the same time, I think that needs to be done in a respectful way. It is one thing to say difficult things to players during a game that they need to but don't want to hear. It is another thing to embarrass players in front of 10,000 people game in and game out.

Maybe the bench and everyone within 8 feet hears a player get chewed out, but not everyone in the arena and on TV needs to know it is happening. Maybe a player does get screamed at so that everyone in the arena and on TV knows that it is happening - but this is a rare occurrence, not a regular one. Prohm called a timeout and went ballistic (for him, not by Fran standards) on the starters a few games ago. Hoiberg shoved Chris Allen (wasn't it?) in a game once and got in his face. These were notable because they were rare.

Sorry, I didn't intend to be part of this discussion. I will let this go.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71 and ISC

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
So no other women's basketball program ever loses people? I see this comment over and over again like ISU is the only school to ever have players transfer?

Take a look at some of the powers in the B12 and guess what they have turnover. Oklahoma lost their top two recruits from 2016-2017 who were both top 75 recruits in Chelsea Dungee (to Arkansas) and Nancy Mulkey (to Rice). Imani Wright transferred from Baylor to Florida State. Beatrice Monmpremier from Baylor to Miami, FL. Alyssa Dry from Baylor to become a personal trainer. AJ Alix from TCU to Florida State. In 2015, Roshunda Johnson transferred from Ok. State to Mississippi State, and three others left Ok. State the same year. Leticia Romero transferred from K-State to Florida State. Alexis Brewer from WVU to WKU

How about UConn losing Andra Espinosa Hunter to Mississippi or Lili Thompson transferring from Stanford to Notre Dame?

The link below shows transfers in WBB for 2017, guess what lots of "big" name programs have transfers, so I guess they have player retention problems too.

http://www.soonertimesbb.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=28120&forum_id=3

You only have one fact which is your first one, the second one is your opinion, and the third one until proven is not a fact.

So you are saying that losing players has not been a problem for him? That losing key players has not hurt his teams? Really? Yes, other programs lose players too, no question but I cannot prove that those losses have damaged on floor success like it has ISU. Maybe it has, I just don't know. The way a lack of retention has hurt him and the way he always talks about looking for those who fit the "Iowa State Way" like it is some secret sauce, I happen to think that he does have retention problems.

You are correct, I will be unwilling to address the third any further but it happened and no matter how much you don't want to believe it. It is true.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I knew it wouldn't take long before the "Fire Fennelly" posts began. Everyone assumes it's his fault she is leaving when it probably was her reading the tea leaves of what playing time she would see next year (being reduced). When the coach meets with players at the end of the season he lays out what is expected in the off-season. The decision to leave was made. I also find it amazing how many folk on here berate Fennelly's style equating him to a maniac beast who abuses players. And yet...his former players come out of the woodwork to support him. Think about that.

When I was in basic training, we were hit - kinda alot. I felt it was part of the military experience. A few others didn't think it was and went to the commandant who had our TI removed. Being hit didn't toughen me up - I just felt it was part of the deal.

Long story short - there are better ways to do things and saying former players who were subjected to the abuse (my whomever's definition) extolled BF's virtues doesn't mean it was right or there aren't better ways to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: ISU71

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

Did you read the Weiben letter?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I could not agree with you more. I posted practically the same thing and was informed by several that I was off target as well. She pretty much performed just as I expected. JUCO IS NOT THE PLACE TO GO FOR POSTS. Guards, yes, there have many good contributing guards found there over the years. I am also mystified by the JC point guard ISU offered a scholarship to here in Texas. Just like Hopoate I'll be glad to be wrong here. She is not a bad player at all, but I really wonder if she can compete that well in the Big 12.

Well since we didn't really have a point guard this yr. hopefully her and the freshman can combine to make a serviceable guard.

I do not mean that comment to be a slam on Durr at all, she did a good job getting tossed into a hard situation. B12 is a tough conference to not have a good point guard in.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and ISC

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well, next year's lineup will be dramatically improved over the one of this season. With the addition of Middleton (for just one year) and Joens, you have two instant stars who will impact our offense in a huge way.

That optimistic was meant in a good way not a smart alecky way. Hopefully next yr will be a turn around yr. I know I'm getting pretty darn tired of watching what was a good program not contend for anything.

• Agree
Reactions: geewago

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Bluder is 56 and probably has at least 7-10 more years of coaching in her, Jennie isn't going to be at Drake that much longer. Coaching at Drake and coaching at a power 5 school is night and day. Just ask Brandon Schneider at Kansas. He won like crazy at Stephen F. Austin, and can barely win at Kansas. I wouldn't be surprised to see Jennie gone after this year. There will be some Power 5 schools who will give her a look.

Speaking of Kansas, if you want an example of a school that held on to a wbbcoach well past her prime, look at Marian Washington. The KU WBB program remains in the tank well past her retirement.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'll be the ass hole.

BF is one of the greatest Cyclones of all time, but the program has no upward momentum. Time to pull the plug on the lifetime contract.

The pieces coming back plus Joens is enough for me to be excited about next year.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Seriously, you think even an unhappy player is going to turn the senior statement into an angry rant? Highly unlikely.

I don't have insider info, I just know a few former players casually (just alumni acquaintances) and a non-hero worshipers perspective. One reflected to me about Bill grabbing her jersey and screaming profanities at her. It was not shared as a glowing endorsement. This was about the time Jess left (my fav player ont hat team) and I started to look at him differently. Another I know absolutely hates him. A third absolutely loves him from what I've heard. It's a mixed bag. The gals that don't love him are not generally broadcasting it to the high heavens. I won't even know any of these gals if not via alumni events so they can still be proud and active alumni and not a Bill supporter or disciple. Proud and active alumni aren't prone to dissing ISU.

You can still love and support Fennelly without burying your head in the sand and calling everyone with a different take a liar.
Seldom post on this board, but feel compelled to weigh in. Long time fan and season ticket holder.
Bill IS Iowa state WBB
Took a terrible mess and made us pretty good for a few years. Built a fan base.
Bill loves ISU.
The game has changed since our best days - much more size and athleticism.
Bill has not been able to recruit athletes to compete in the current game.
He has some dead wood on his staff.
I do not agree with how Bill treats the players.
Some players respond positively to his coaching style, but many do not.
Bill Lost a lot of fans over the Schroll incident.
I know 9 fans well enough to call friends, all 9 believe Bills treatment of players in inappropriate .
I only know two former players very well. One hates Bill the other is non commital.
Regarding senior day speeches, there has been more than a couple players who did not even mention Bill.
I can relate, my old coach was like Bill. Did he help me grow up and toughen up - yes. Was it a fun experience - not really.
IMO - kids today are less likely to respond positively to Bills style.
If you survive the experience you will likely be a better person. The question is - can you take it?
I have a friend who’s daughter played high level WBB. When discussing Bill he said, would you want your daughter to play for Bill? His answer was no. My answer would probably be no - you don’t need to be treated that way. Certainly, you would need to go with your eyes wide open.
A common complaint I hear, during games Bill does little coaching, only yelling.
The fan base is old and shrinking. Only hope to reverse that is winning.

So, what does that all mean? I would like to believe that Bill could change his style, but really do not think that is possible. He is who he is. Demanding is good, berating players is not. Do I want Bill fired - no. Would I swap him for Brenda or Jenny - absolutely. I realize that is not going to happen. I feel like Bill is a lot like Eustachy - minus all the off court antics. I guess I do believe that his era has passed.

CYISTHEMAN1

Jan 23, 2017
She was in Kansas City yesterday looked like with a boyfriend. Sporting Iowa State jacket, dancing and cheering on the Cyclones during the pep rally.

This must have came from within the coaching staff.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
She was in Kansas City yesterday looked like with a boyfriend. Sporting Iowa State jacket, dancing and cheering on the Cyclones during the pep rally.

This must have came from within the coaching staff.
This is what I found odd as well.

Even when she was out late in the year she was still the teams biggest fan on the bench. She'd get excited during every play.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Mulkey is a *****
Complete agreement...but she does state the truth. The power in Women's Basketball is concentrated in about 8 teams...there simply are not enough elite players in the game (unlike the men, who have plenty) support more than that. Volleyball has pulled a bunch of 6 footer's away from basketball (those that can really jump)...you fall off that elite list and it becomes difficult to make your way back.

Reactions: StClone