Narrowing things down for our tailgate beer with Barn Town

What beer should we make for tailgates this fall?

• A light, drinkable IPA with a fruity hint

Votes: 84 39.3%
  • A light, drinkable wheat with a fruity hint

Votes: 56 26.2%
  • A red ale

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • A light pilsner

Votes: 20 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I voted the wheat for something different, but the IPA could be a solid second. I'd say play off the name Barn Town and call the beer Focus Town

Reactions: Cycsk

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Crushable light hazy IPA with something red in it to make it red. Raspberry sounds delicious. Not too much fruit sweetness though. Kind of like a pseudoSue that has a red tint. Even non-craft beer nuts dig pseudoSue and Barn Town nails the IPAs. They're not overly bitter - they are juice bombs. Yum.

Some name ideas from the threads that are cool:
A Storm is BREWing
CyPA
Loyal Sons Forever Brew

I'll drive from CR to pick up a bunch of crowlers or bottles.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Red ales just aren't a good call for this given the brewery, the time of year, etc. The folks voting for them are going to create the beer equivalent of the new uniforms.

I defer to Al. Thus, I retract my vote for a red ale. I indeed voted for it only because I want something that is truly red.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I get the appeal of having something match the colors, but do people want novelty or the best product?

Not anti-red ale, FWIW. I just don't think it's Barntown's strength, and it's too heavy for an opening weekend that feels on pace to be a triple digit affair.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I voted the wheat for something different, but the IPA could be a solid second. I'd say play off the name Barn Town and call the beer Focus Town

I like "Focus Town," especially from Barn Town Brewery.

Or "Transfer Brew," but that should probably be the beer for basketball season.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I also think everyone should go to Barntown and taste their IPA’s and NEIPA.

People keep banging on the 'BUT BARNTOWN MAKES GREAT IPAS SO WE CANT DO ANYTHING ELSE' drum (probably because they themselves are primarily IPA-drinkers), but they seem to forget that barntown makes some great beers of other varieties

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Please no fruity wheat. If people want a fruit forward turd like that they can go buy a Shock Top, Leinie wheat or Blue Moon. It needs to be something that you can't get off the shelf, that is the whole purpose of this. A Session IPA(light IPA) with Citra and Galaxy. Nelson Sauvin would be my first hop choice but those won't be fresh by the time they brew this beer. Something fruit forward but not necessarily from adding fruit.

I fly into DSM tomorrow night and I am heading straight to Barn Town. Can't wait.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Fruit beers are just very hard to get right without a lot of trial and error. Perhaps they have the experience to do it well but I prefer old styles that have been well refined. If they do go the fruit route I think that Cherry has been forgotten lately and could be a decent hazy-reddish wheat beer.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm basing my vote for the IPA on the overwhelming contention of those who have tried this brewer's IPAs. If they are indeed very drinkable and the best thing they do, why not have them do their best for us?

I like the suggested CyPA name.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
or something like "Storm Brew" or "A Storm is Brewing" perhaps with a design like this:

upload_2018-6-21_13-38-50-jpeg.55778

Last edited:

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm basing my vote for the IPA on the overwhelming contention of those who have tried this brewer's IPAs. If they are indeed very drinkable and the best thing they do, why not have them do their best for us?

I like the suggested CyPA name.
I think the CyPA name should nail down that light IPA vote.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
You could pair the release of the beer with the new black uniforms and call it "Rolling Blackout."

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Fruit beers are just very hard to get right without a lot of trial and error. Perhaps they have the experience to do it well but I prefer old styles that have been well refined. If they do go the fruit route I think that Cherry has been forgotten lately and could be a decent hazy-reddish wheat beer.

I was close to mentioning cherry as the fruit in my concoction but apple just seemed seasonally appropriate. A cherry wheat sounds damn good right now though.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I picked Red Ale both times. Then I always go on and read about how good BarnTown is with IPA's... So honestly I will be happy with any except for the Pils

Status
Not open for further replies.