Narrowing things down for our tailgate beer with Barn Town

What beer should we make for tailgates this fall?

• A light, drinkable IPA with a fruity hint

Votes: 84 39.3%
  • A light, drinkable wheat with a fruity hint

Votes: 56 26.2%
  • A red ale

Votes: 54 25.2%
  • A light pilsner

Votes: 20 9.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I fly into DSM tomorrow night and I am heading straight to Barn Town. Can't wait.

Just was there Saturday. Farmer Tan and Sticky Juice were both really good. Groovy Ruby and Neon we're pretty good. Get up Get down Brown was nothing special.

Also not brewed by them but on tap was Jacked Ultra Premium Blueberry Cider and it was amazeballs if you like ciders.

Jkclone15

Nov 19, 2017
Would definitely buy 6 packs of a cherry wheat, I'll hop on the cherry wheat hype train.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Honestly the poll seems a little bias but I read through the comments and chose IPA and support the name CyPA.
I would suggest getting rid of light and drinkable and just using style and maybe a good comparison that’s already on the market.

cysqu1rr31

Dec 31, 2009
Ur-Bahn-Da-Le, IA
www.facebook.com
I'm just shocked that Barn Town is doing something Iowa State related seeing as the owner is an Iowa grad and has Iowa plates on his truck. I was figuring someone like Confluence. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Barn Town, their food and beer are fantastic.

That being said, I like something more wheat for fall, easy drinking in the warm late summer/early fall months, but filling enough into the winter. You could make it red with the correct malt, no need to add fruit, though I don't mind a good fruit taste. A copper alt or red IPA would be good. Barn Town has a ton of IPA's I'd like to see them branch out and do some different stuff. In the winter we could follow the new hashtag #wininthedark and do a stout of some sort.

I do like the name Forever True Brew, or Loyal Sons Lager, Ev'ry Yard IPA, I Will IPA. Once we nail down a style I'd be better at throwing out names.

Reactions: Cycsk

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think if you go with an IPA (even if it is Barntown's specialty) it's going to scare a lot of people off without even trying it. My vote is for the wheat beer. Seems like a decent compromise. Not as boring as a pilsner and not as polarizing as an IPA or red.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I'll get things started.

I would either go with the light IPA or the wheat with a combo of strawberry and raspberry to give it a reddish color that I think would be appropriate.

A strawberry wheat would be really popular with the wives.... not sure any red blooded man would drink it. Of course it might be nice when it is 100 degrees the afternoon of the first game.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think if you go with an IPA (even if it is Barntown's specialty) it's going to scare a lot of people off without even trying it. My vote is for the wheat beer. Seems like a decent compromise. Not as boring as a pilsner and not as polarizing as an IPA or red.

I find it hard to imagine how anyone could be "scared off," This isn't trying to become the next "Blue Moon." It is just about a brewery doing something cool for our fans. There will be plenty of us that would drink whatever they serve us, as long as it has a CF tie-in.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I find it hard to imagine how anyone could be "scared off," This isn't trying to become the next "Blue Moon." It is just about a brewery doing something cool for our fans. There will be plenty of us that would drink whatever they serve us, as long as it has a CF tie-in.

I just think that people who don't like IPAs will dismiss the beer out of hand without trying it, even if it is a less hoppy "drinkable" version. Generally beer drinkers have a pretty strong opinion about IPAs one way or the other. A wheat seems to be the most neutral choice for the fanbase. But whatever. I do agree that it's a cool thing Barntown is doing for the fans, and I'm excited to try whatever they come up with.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
A strawberry wheat would be really popular with the wives.... not sure any red blooded man would drink it. Of course it might be nice when it is 100 degrees the afternoon of the first game.

A strawberry beer can be great sometimes. I was a big fan of Shiner's strawberry blonde seasonal

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Looking through Untappd ratings for all the Barn Town beers, it seems like their IPAs are consistently their best rated beers, and they seem to be experienced with fruity IPAs. Meanwhile their red ale seems to be one of their lowest rated beers, and they dont appear to have done a pilsner.

With that in mind, my vote is for whatever style lends to the best beer. So if Barn Town specializes in IPAs, then an IPA it is.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I just think that people who don't like IPAs will dismiss the beer out of hand without trying it, even if it is a less hoppy "drinkable" version. Generally beer drinkers have a pretty strong opinion about IPAs one way or the other. A wheat seems to be the most neutral choice for the fanbase. But whatever. I do agree that it's a cool thing Barntown is doing for the fans, and I'm excited to try whatever they come up with.

Yeah, you are probably right. There are some whose preferences in beer will trump their participation in this commemorative event. However, there will be a few of those no matter what beer is chosen. So, I pretty much think they should be dismissed. I'm confident that BarnTown and CW will make a reasonable choice. And even if it isn't my personal favorite beer, I will still drink it with plenty of CF pride!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just think that people who don't like IPAs will dismiss the beer out of hand without trying it

In this thread and the prior ones think too many of the IPA lovers seem to be falsely assuming a lack of knowledge of those who are choosing something else, rather than an informed preference for other things (or simply thinking that IPAs are WAY overdone right now)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Fun fact: It is almost impossible to get an India Pale Ale (IPA) in India!

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
In this thread and the prior ones think too many of the IPA lovers seem to be falsely assuming a lack of knowledge of those who are choosing something else, rather than an informed preference for other things (or simply thinking that IPAs are WAY overdone right now)

I think IPAs in general just generate a strong response. Drinkers tend to love them or hate them without much middle ground. Personally, I don't mind a really light IPA style like Magic Hat #9 (I'm sure there are better examples...that's just the first that came to mind for me). But most IPAs I've tried are too bitter or hoppy for my taste.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Just was there Saturday. Farmer Tan and Sticky Juice were both really good. Groovy Ruby and Neon we're pretty good. Get up Get down Brown was nothing special.

Also not brewed by them but on tap was Jacked Ultra Premium Blueberry Cider and it was amazeballs if you like ciders.

Yeah really looking forward to this batch of Sticky Juice since I didn't get a bottle. Chances are I will walk out of there spending too much money on crowlers and a new glass since I broke my last one from them.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Red ales just aren't a good call for this given the brewery, the time of year, etc. The folks voting for them are going to create the beer equivalent of the new uniforms.

I voted Red because I didn't want a Pilsner and don't like fruity beers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless by "lightly fruited" they mean using Citra hops or similar.

Keep the fruit for pies and jams.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
CW asked for artists to make the label. Does that mean that we will be able to buy six packs of bottles for tailgating?

ISU85

Jun 3, 2015
Adding fruit to beer is a violation of the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516 (the Reinheitsgebot). I try to conform to the Reinheitsgebot at all times, but I'll make an exception in this case. I voted for the fruity wheat.

Reactions: Doc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron