Deon Silas Commits!

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
No one is saying "take a less talented kid from Iowa, over a more talented kid from out of state." What I am saying is that Iowa will produce on average about 7 to 10 instate P5 players a year, and frankly we are not getting enough of those players. The numbers point that out, we need to do a better job recruiting and signing the top players from the state, that can play at a high level in a P5 conference.

Campbell has done a remarkable job upgrading our recruiting over the past four years, we have moved from the mid 50's to the mid 40's, great job by him and his staff. Now lets start signing 3 out of the 5 best Iowa kids worthy of a scholarship and grow it further.

As long as Kirk and Doyle are at Iowa we won't beat them out for many kids that play in the trenches and there isn't much our staff can do about that.

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018
I am just tired of looking at the 247 state ranking and in the top 5 kids, we are getting one of them. You people act like its not a big deal, that they are all reaches and ISU can always find and bring in better talent out of state. That is just not true, Iowa doesn't produce a lot of P5 players, but 7 to 10 a year, we need to start getting more of them.
We will but it takes time showing you are a legit program and creating fans for that to happen. When I was going to HS in small town SE Iowa, I was one of maybe a dozen ISU fans in my HS of 250 kids. You think people who grew up Hawk fans are going to just flip to ISU because we have an almost comparable program now? Once again, that's not how it works.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
I am just tired of looking at the 247 state ranking and in the top 5 kids, we are getting one of them. You people act like its not a big deal, that they are all reaches and ISU can always find and bring in better talent out of state. That is just not true, Iowa doesn't produce a lot of P5 players, but 7 to 10 a year, we need to start getting more of them.

2020: ISU signed 4 of the top 10 recruits from the state, Iowa signed 4
2019: ISU signed 3 of the top 10 recruits, Iowa signed 5
2018: ISU signed 3 of the top 10 recruits, Iowa signed 4
2017: ISU signed 3 of the top 10 recruits, Iowa signed 4 (5 now with Oliver Martin transferring back)
2016 Campbell was hired in November 2015 so mainly recruited the area he was familiar with.

Over the past 4 years with Campbell running things, ISU has signed 13 and Iowa has signed 17 from the past 4 years top 10 lists. Not nearly the discrepancy you are making it sounds like there is.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
We will but it takes time showing you are a legit program and creating fans for that to happen. When I was going to HS in small town SE Iowa, I was one of maybe a dozen ISU fans in my HS of 250 kids. You think people who grew up Hawk fans are going to just flip to ISU because we have an almost comparable program now? Once again, that's not how it works.

It really doesn't get talked about enough but the lack of P5 kids that come out of the DSM Metro is pretty sad. Unfortunately, central Iowa is our staffs best shot at beating Iowa out for recruits but this portion of the state just doesn't produce talent like the eastern third of Iowa does.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
So you want Iowa State to recruit a kid from iowa just because he's from iowa?

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Really because reading through this thread it see a lot of, 1 "it does not matter where they are from" ideas.

Talent is king, and 2 ISU is not getting the best talent in the state right now. 3 Why allow Iowa to get those 3/4 star recruits instead of ISU? The numbers speak for themselves, 4 we need to improve in signing the best instate kids.
1. It doesn't. Where was Troy Davis, Seneca Wallace, and Brock Purdy from?
2. This has happened for decades. Also, The number 1 recruit in the state last year would have ranked number 37 in Florida.
3. Nobody is allowing it to happen. Good look trying to convince the kid who gets a tiger hawk tat when he is 16.
4. Says Who? In Campbell we trust. Pollard probably doesn't care either.

1 If you are happy with Iowa signing the majority of the better players year after year, great.
I think we can and need to do better in that department, that is not complaining about Campbells current class or where its ranked, just an observation.
1. Nobody said that. Get off the ledge.

1 Why are you against recruiting Iowa kids, 2 if they are just as good as a player from out of state?
3 If I asked that, you would be on here saying you are not, I am not stuck on Iowa kids, what I am stuck on is that we are not signing the best Iowa kids, as the numbers point out.

By signing, not just recruiting, a kid from the state, 4 his schooling is cheaper, saves us money, and 5 we grow the fan base here in the state. As others have said, Iowa does not produce many P5 football players per year, so when the 5 to 7 year happen, you have to get your share of them, why just concede these kids to Iowa? Because they are life long Iowa fans, all of the them? 6 How many of the out of state kids are ISU fans, few if any, they are fans of other teams, but the staff convinces them to come to Ames, why can we not do the same to kids born here in the state?

1. We aren't
2. They aren't. Find me a RB as quick as Deon in Iowa.
3. What?
4. No it's not.
5. The fanbase grows when the team wins or if there is an INSANELY talented player, not because a kid is born in Clarinda.
6. Who remembers Miyan Williams?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Losing kids to Iowa sucks but for me it's losing the recruiting battle for kids like Gunnerson or Martin or Darboh or Pierschbacher that really hurts.

I know I know they all had their reasons to leave the state... but those are the real in-state kids you'd like to see us land. It is what it is. Move on. Recruit guys that want to be cyclones.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I can't wait to see the absolute uproar about this crap if/when Brody Brecht chooses Iowa....

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
So you want Iowa State to recruit a kid from iowa just because he's from iowa?

For the fourth time NO, I want ISU to start signing the best kids in the state. mdk2isu ran the numbers out further to 10 than the 5 I had posted. So which is the better player, the top 5 or the top 10? Most people would say the top 5, but for some reason those are not the players that ISU should be signing I keep reading.

I get it, Iowa has 20 years on us, better history and the rest of the crap. But we are in year 5 of the current coaching staff, we are winning, and recruiting at a higher rate than ever. Now lets take that to the next level and start signing the better Iowa kids to add to the out of state players we already are getting.

We can continue to make excuses of why we are not signing those kids, either accept the current recruiting situation or say, "as a staff we have to do better getting the top players in the state to stay instate and play for ISU." Its not going to be easy, but for a young hungry coaching staff, its should be doable. Half of coaching is signing the best players, and we are letting lot of the better players from the state sign else where.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
For the fourth time NO, I want ISU to start signing the best kids in the state. mdk2isu ran the numbers out further to 10 than the 5 I had posted. So which is the better player, the top 5 or the top 10? Most people would say the top 5, but for some reason those are not the players that ISU should be signing I keep reading.

I get it, Iowa has 20 years on us, better history and the rest of the crap. But we are in year 5 of the current coaching staff, we are winning, and recruiting at a higher rate than ever. Now lets take that to the next level and start signing the better Iowa kids to add to the out of state players we already are getting.

We can continue to make excuses of why we are not signing those kids, either accept the current recruiting situation or say, "as a staff we have to do better getting the top players in the state to stay instate and play for ISU." Its not going to be easy, but for a young hungry coaching staff, its should be doable. Half of coaching is signing the best players, and we are letting lot of the better players from the state sign else where.
We are already recruiting the best kids in the state, how do u think we got Porter and Dekkers? If they arent being recruited, there is a reason. Go to Campbell and tell him your concerns and tell him he isnt recruiting correctly.

Reactions: aauummm

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We are already recruiting the best kids in the state, how do u think we got Porter and Dekkers? If they arent being recruited, there is a reason. Go to Campbell and tell him your concerns and tell him he isnt recruiting correctly.

We are recruiting these kids just not signing them. No one has said ISU has not be recruiting them, we have. What I am saying is we need to start signing more of them.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
There's a reason Iowa State didn't offer. Cooper is a life long Hawk and the OABCIG principal is Ezra Miller's dad... CMC and staff knew they didn't have a shot.

That's BS. Campbell could have offered last fall if he wanted. Yeah, it probably wasn't worth their time after iowa offered, but before? They've offered plenty of life long hok fans. Sorry, but pretty much no one is stupid enough to turn down an ISU offer just because they grew up rooting for iowa….not if it is their only P5 offer. I just don't think the staff thought of him as offer-worthy. Maybe they're wrong, we'll see. But they won't be the only ones. Seems a little fishy to me a small school kid with one P5 offer jumps into the top 247 as a 4 star.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We are recruiting these kids just not signing them. No one has said ISU has not be recruiting them, we have. What I am saying is we need to start signing more of them.

You know how you do that? Start freaking beating them and put some kids in the pros. There's no other way to do it. Stop looking like a god damn clown show when you play them every year while they are playing mistake free football.

Reactions: Scott34

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Buddy Boy. I talk to a lot of recruits in the state (for what I do). Not going to mention any names of anyone uncommitted at time of post, but I have video chatted with guys from previous years. I have chatted with uncommitted guys who only wear Hawkeye gear and other guys who have told me their mind is made up.

I never try to convince them of Iowa State because that would be wrong and would also ruin my credibility. I tell them to go where they want to go. And they do.

Think about it this way:
Team A is and has been better than Team B for decades. Team A is the "cool" one to root for. Team A may also be the hometown team.

You are good at sports and you grew up watch Team A with your dad every Saturday. You have decals on your car for Team A and your closet is full of Team A gear.

Team A and Team B offer you a scholarship and want you in their class. Why would you pick Team B?

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
You know how you do that? Start freaking beating them and put some kids in the pros. There's no other way to do it. Stop looking like a god damn clown show when you play them every year while they are playing mistake free football.

You can go to the 247 website and see a list of all the kids ISU has an offer out to, and they then rank their interest.

The rest I agree with, we need to start beating Iowa, plan and simple.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Buddy Boy. I talk to a lot of recruits in the state (for what I do). Not going to mention any names of anyone uncommitted at time of post, but I have video chatted with guys from previous years. I have chatted with uncommitted guys who only wear Hawkeye gear and other guys who have told me their mind is made up.

I never try to convince them of Iowa State because that would be wrong and would also ruin my credibility. I tell them to go where they want to go. And they do.

Think about it this way:
Team A is and has been better than Team B for decades. Team A is the "cool" one to root for. Team A may also be the hometown team.

You are good at sports and you grew up watch Team A with your dad every Saturday. You have decals on your car for Team A and your closet is full of Team A gear.

Team A and Team B offer you a scholarship and want you in their class. Why would you pick Team B?

Well Buddy boy, I guess the coaches sit down and try to change the kids mind, is it going to work, most times not, but it might other times.

You point out to the player, that you may be on the field faster, you can be on the ground floor of what we are doing, and be part of it. Its called salesmanship, convincing people to do what you want. Or we can just take your advise and write them off.
Are you saying that everyone of these kids is a hardcore Iowa fan, that they have been going to games for years, and it has always been their desire to play at Iowa. If so, you are not going to get those kids, just like I would like to think that you are not going to lose a kid that always dreamed about playing for ISU.

We can either work harder and try to change it or accept that is the way it is, and will never change. I refuse to believe the second part of that.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Well Buddy boy, I guess the coaches sit down and try to change the kids mind, is it going to work, most times not, but it might other times.

You point out to the player, that you may be on the field faster, you can be on the ground floor of what we are doing, and be part of it. Its called salesmanship, convincing people to do what you want. Or we can just take your advise and write them off.
Are you saying that everyone of these kids is a hardcore Iowa fan, that they have been going to games for years, and it has always been their desire to play at Iowa. If so, you are not going to get those kids, just like I would like to think that you are not going to lose a kid that always dreamed about playing for ISU.

We can either work harder and try to change it or accept that is the way it is, and will never change. I refuse to believe the second part of that.
That's the opposite of what salesman does...

g4ce

Feb 6, 2018

You do realize that that is what a bad salesman does right? We don't want to be a scummy car dealership. We don't want kids who don't want to be here and are only here because we "convinced" them. Kids like that don't stick around and aren't fully committed. What you are describing above is literally how high schools, parents, coaches, etc. sour on a coaching staff as whole. How many scummy upselling dealerships have you been to that you thought afterward, "those were super great people and I can't wait to interact with them again"? None. They make you want to go home and take a shower. We want to be a program that promotes and encourages, not convinces and oversells.