cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Population
(2010)
• Total89,542
• Estimate
(2018)

Here is story county populations from story county. You sure about that being infactual? It would mean the student population of ISU is (1,183). A negative number.

"A freshman living on campus in student housing. A junior varsity athlete sharing an off-campus house with teammates. A senior living solo in an off-campus apartment.

Even though many residents of a typical American college town might move away after they graduate, they have to be counted while they live there. "

"When responding to the 2020 Census, college students should be counted where they live and sleep most of the time as of April 1, 2020.

For most students, that means in their college town, not back home with their parents.

Parents or guardians should only include children in college who live with them full time during the school year."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"A freshman living on campus in student housing. A junior varsity athlete sharing an off-campus house with teammates. A senior living solo in an off-campus apartment.

Even though many residents of a typical American college town might move away after they graduate, they have to be counted while they live there. "

My son is considered to be living at our house for the census. Do you think that all these kids in the dorms and off campus filled out census reports and counted themselves as Ames residents?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
My son is considered to be living at our house for the census. Do you think that all these kids in the dorms and off campus filled out census reports and counted themselves as Ames residents?

Where does he live most of the year? If he's at college more than 50% of the time, he should not be part of your household for the census.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The narrative amongst my Hawk fan friends has slowly been changing from, I'm jealous you get to watch football this fall, to, how could you possibly be happy your team is playing football this fall, and, you should come be a hawk fan because we care about our players health etc etc

Then when they bring up caring, I just blast them about how they are fans of a team that didn't care about injustices against blacks/minorities for 2 decades and how they can possibly support all of their racist coaches.

It baffles me how the Hawk media outlets *which is almost all of them in Iowa* have impacted their thinking on the matter. First they were pissed their boys weren't going to be playing. Now that all hope for that is lost, they desperately want this 25,000 fans thing to blow up in Pollards face and force Iowa State to have to shut it down.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Where does he live most of the year? If he's at college more than 50% of the time, he should not be part of your household for the census.

So far at home since he has 15 weeks this semester and about 7 this spring. The max for someone living at in the dorms would be about 31 weeks so if they go home at all, it is a balancing act anyhow.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

How it should be filled out and how it is filled out are not necessarily the same thing. I don’t have a horse in this argument. I lean more towards most students do get counted as Ames residents but just because people are supposed to fill out the census a certain way doesn’t mean that they do.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
So far at home since he has 15 weeks this semester and about 7 this spring. The max for someone living at in the dorms would be about 31 weeks so if they go home at all, it is a balancing act anyhow.

"The census rules are clear -- Iowa State University students living in Ames should claim Ames on the census form," Wintersteen said. "We know that a complete and accurate census count benefits both the city of Ames and Iowa State University so we can access critical federal funds."

Reactions: flycy

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
....and I believe ISU housing refund deadline was on 8/28. So if they went all on line and people decided to go home, ISU will still get their money.

Maybe, maybe not. When ISU decided to not have students return to campus last March after spring break for the rest of the year, they cut student housing and dining bills. Only partial, but it was something. If they send students home for a good chunk of the year they'd likely do that again, no way they could justify billing for housing/dining if students aren't there.

GT25Ump

Oct 24, 2009
Sioux City, Iowa
The narrative amongst my Hawk fan friends has slowly been changing from, I'm jealous you get to watch football this fall, to, how could you possibly be happy your team is playing football this fall, and, you should come be a hawk fan because we care about our players health etc etc

Then when they bring up caring, I just blast them about how they are fans of a team that didn't care about injustices against blacks/minorities for 2 decades and how they can possibly support all of their racist coaches.

It baffles me how the Hawk media outlets *which is almost all of them in Iowa* have impacted their thinking on the matter. First they were pissed their boys weren't going to be playing. Now that all hope for that is lost, they desperately want this 25,000 fans thing to blow up in Pollards face and force Iowa State to have to shut it down.

Choosing to be completely honest, if the tables were turned to where we weren't playing and worthless P.O.S. Barta was pulling a Pollard, I'd want it to blow up in their faces as well.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
How it should be filled out and how it is filled out are not necessarily the same thing. I don’t have a horse in this argument. I lean more towards most students do get counted as Ames residents but just because people are supposed to fill out the census a certain way doesn’t mean that they do.

Take a look at the Ames population pyramid. Obviously the majority of ISU students are claiming Ames.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I have a strong feeling that most parents label their kids at their home. On taxes, they aren't considered to be on their own, so many will probably place them as their own address. I know I never filled out anything when at ISU for the 1990 census.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I have a strong feeling that most parents label their kids at their home. On taxes, they aren't considered to be on their own, so many will probably place them as their own address. I know I never filled out anything when at ISU for the 1990 census.

Again, this is just not true based on the age demographics of the last census.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"The census rules are clear -- Iowa State University students living in Ames should claim Ames on the census form," Wintersteen said. "We know that a complete and accurate census count benefits both the city of Ames and Iowa State University so we can access critical federal funds."

They can't count the on campus students in 2020 though, that would be inaccurate counts. No oncampus students lived in Ames 26 plus weeks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I should have gone to Vegas with this.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Choosing to be completely honest, if the tables were turned to where we weren't playing and worthless P.O.S. Barta was pulling a Pollard, I'd want it to blow up in their faces as well.
You're right. I love to ridicule them any chance I get.