Brink of Disaster......?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You didn't? How could you ignore the HUGE push about making sure you were counted in Ames? ;)

I have never seen such a huge clamor about making sure everyone was counted. Ames was very concerned that they needed to make the 50,000 mark since there were a lot more funds available to municipalities over that mark than for those just under 50K. Ames ended up with a count of 47,XXX and missed out on the money for another 10 years.
I was 18/19. I didn’t care about that stuff.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Once again his first positive may not have been a full blow infection due to excessive replication. If reinfection were possible you think we would see just a single confirmed case after 6 million possible infections? Here is a quote directly from your article, which I am wondering if you read.

However, "it is crucial to note that the frequency of such a phenomenon is not defined by a singular case study," they wrote. "This may represent a rare event

More study is certainly needed. Reinfections take time to identify because you have to determine specific strains instead of just testing positive again. Thousands of people have had similar experiences as this patient but it was from just one strain that flared up again.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Precipice of Pandamonium.
The Ledge of Lunacy
The Corner of Chaos
The Roost of Revolution
Dogs and cats, LIVING together....
What first came to mind

tenor.gif

Reactions: cdface

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
More study is certainly needed. Reinfections take time to identify because you have to determine specific strains instead of just testing positive again. Thousands of people have had similar experiences as this patient but it was from just one strain that flared up again.

Of the 25.3 million people with confirmed infections I can count the number of scientifically confirmed reinfections on one hand.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I've never had one. Had a real bad case last January. It was so bad that I had a coughing fit and passed out. I had almost pasted out in my hotel earlier in the week as I couldn't catch my breath. Makes me wonder if I could have had covid and didn't even know it. That was the worst I have felt in a quite a few years. With covid and flu cases this year, makes you wonder if it is the flu or covid.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Cedar Rapids paper posts article about virus concerns on ISU campus.

Somebody needs to send this article back to them when the season is over.
This past week, researchers reported cases of reinfection in a patient in Hong Kong and two patients in Europe; but in all three cases, the patients either developed a milder form of COVID-19 or were asymptomatic the second time around, according to NBC News.

But according to the new case study, the 25-year-old Nevada patient developed more severe symptoms the second time he was infected. His case was published as a preprint on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) and hasn't yet been peer-reviewed. The researchers have submitted their paper to the journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases.

Has anybody looked into how many of these positive college students are actually seriously sick? Probably somewhere close to zero.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Somebody needs to send this article back to them when the season is over.

Has anybody looked into how many of these positive college students are actually seriously sick? Probably somewhere close to zero.

I'd like to see some contract tracing to determine the amount of community spread positive college students are responsible for in college communities.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyismymonkey

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Even if a student isn't seriously sick (mild symptoms or asymptomatic) they are still a carrier of the virus, and are capable of spreading it to others. An individual student, 18-23 years old, may not face serious risks from Covid, but them contracting the disease makes them a potential spreader. Throw in that college dorms, apartments, and greek houses are higher density than a typical household, that makes student housing on large university campuses particularly dangerous breeding grounds for a virus such as Covid.

Additionally, college students are not a completely isolated population. They still interact with the community around the campus and that creates more vectors for the infection to reach more at-risk individuals. If you also consider that college aged students aren't widely regarded for their personal accountability that makes the chance of spread within and beyond the student body that much more likely.

Bringing the students back to campus is a public health risk, not just an individual risk. Iowa State's administration has put the greater population of Ames, Story County, and Iowa at huge amount of risk by restarting in-person classes.

And while it may be easy to say that the students won't get "actually seriously sick", that is ignoring consequences of what happens when the virus moves beyond the campus population, and starts effecting high risk groups.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and cycloneG

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've never had one. Had a real bad case last January. It was so bad that I had a coughing fit and passed out. I had almost pasted out in my hotel earlier in the week as I couldn't catch my breath. Makes me wonder if I could have had covid and didn't even know it. That was the worst I have felt in a quite a few years. With covid and flu cases this year, makes you wonder if it is the flu or covid.

Anyone I know who had this type of experience was negative for Covid antibodies....but I think also were negative for the flu.

I had similar and it wasn't strep, no flu test though.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
"The census rules are clear -- Iowa State University students living in Ames should claim Ames on the census form," Wintersteen said. "We know that a complete and accurate census count benefits both the city of Ames and Iowa State University so we can access critical federal funds."

Except you sent them home last year, so they probably spent more time where they are from then in Ames.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron