Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd still shut down the restaurants.
I know that in mine, we're dropping like flies this week. Looks like at least 2 symptomatic people, maybe more on the way.

I love how someone rated this 'dumb' when you're using concrete reasons for your suggestion.

And someone will STILL complain about their food being late to their table with a limited staff.

mp444

Nov 4, 2014

New hospital admissions increasing across all age groups is old news since overall admissions are decreasing. Looks like the report used November 14-20 (presumably increasing vs November 7-13). The Iowa data show a decrease in new hospital admissions starting on November 21: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/rmcc-data (chart is "COVID-19 Admitted in Last 24 Hours").

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum and aauummm

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I am not debating either side here, but really am curious...how does this reconcile with an Rt<1.0 in Iowa? Is one or either of these flawed? Perhaps it's just narratives, but on one hand I see/hear that things are really bad right now, but then I look at Rt being one of the best in the country. Or, maybe one of these measurements/tools is not capturing the whole picture?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
New hospital admissions increasing across all age groups is old news since overall admissions are decreasing. Looks like the report used November 14-20 (presumably increasing vs November 7-13). The Iowa data show a decrease in new hospital admissions starting on November 21: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov/pages/rmcc-data (chart is "COVID-19 Admitted in Last 24 Hours").

I think there was an uptick today but the previous 4-5 days all say declines in new admissions.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
Sounds like a whole lot of staffers declining to do the right things in their off time.
Not necessarily. Some of those staff work at multiple facilities. So, one person might be counted as the "at least 1new staff COVID case" for multiple facilities. That makes comparing the 30% for residents and 66% for staff problematic.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'd still shut down the restaurants.
I know that in mine, we're dropping like flies this week. Looks like at least 2 symptomatic people, maybe more on the way.

I don't disagree, they may be trying to walk a line because prior attempts (well, and this one too) at limiting business functions/schooling options became legal battles, including from the Legislature.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Not necessarily. Some of those staff work at multiple facilities. So, one person might be counted as the "at least 1new staff COVID case" for multiple facilities. That makes comparing the 30% for residents and 66% for staff problematic.

I've read some accounts of this. I stand by the words, because I'm right.
People need to make the right choices, but they won't.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Looks like Ames will be submitting a request for another two weeks of online instruction.
It also appears that half the students with my kiddo's teacher are opting out of the online model. I'll be curious to see if that's representative of the district overall.

As an Ames resident, I sure hope not.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I honestly don't believe we're at 80% as a nation based on what I see when I go out for walks and my Instagram stories and all the Halloween parties and pictures of people at restaurants.

Odd data set you have there for estimating the nations mask usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.