Merged Covid Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Looks like Ames will be submitting a request for another two weeks of online instruction.

I wonder if that one will be granted. Story County's positivity rate is 13.9% and has been headed downward for quite awhile. I'm less certain of what the absenteeism thresholds for online only learning are.

1606246974456.png

Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I wonder if that one will be granted. Story County's positivity rate is 13.9% and has been headed downward for quite awhile. I'm less certain of what the absenteeism thresholds for online only learning are.

View attachment 78300

I don't know. I haven't seen a school board meeting for this one. Given the last few, it's probably centered around staffing issues. Ames is barely able to keep the schools running right now.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I don't know. I haven't seen a school board meeting for this one. Given the last few, it's probably centered around staffing issues. Ames is barely able to keep the schools running right now.

They changed our metrics so they no longer look at positivity, but rather at absence rates, etc. They just released them in email.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

View attachment 78300
I dated a girl from Jones county while in college. Seemed like a good chance to catch something from her, didn’t think it be the ‘rona if I’d stayed with her.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Can't be letting real world problems affect policy. Staffing-schmaffing. Let's pull out some arbitrary and arcanely computed statistic. That will do the job!!

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I honestly don't believe we're at 80% as a nation based on what I see when I go out for walks and my Instagram stories and all the Halloween parties and pictures of people at restaurants.

I think its very possible the same thing that skewed the response rate in other polling this year could be skewing the results here. COVID seems to have had an effect on who is responding to some polls, which could be due to who is doing more WFH than previously. I agree that 80% seems way too high.

Also people lie- not just to pollsters but themselves. A person who may wear a mask to some stores but may forego one when 'just popping in' to a store may say 'yes, i wear a mask' even if their compliance rate is not 100%

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I think its very possible the same thing that skewed the response rate in other polling this year could be skewing the results here. COVID seems to have had an effect on who is responding to some polls, which could be due to who is doing more WFH than previously. I agree that 80% seems way too high.

Also people lie- not just to pollsters but themselves. A person who may wear a mask to some stores but may forego one when 'just popping in' to a store may say 'yes, i wear a mask' even if their compliance rate is not 100%

And that same person may be making social visits to friends/family at their homes, and considering themselves to be in a situation where they shouldn't wear masks, and then report that they do "in public" or whatever.

But the lying part is huge.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
And that same person may be making social visits to friends/family at their homes, and considering themselves to be in a situation where they shouldn't wear masks, and then report that they do "in public" or whatever.

I have a family member that does this. If you asked her "do you wear a mask in public?" Her answer is unequivocally "yes." The quiet part that she leaves out is "when I'm forced to."

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Friend let grandparents come to a small birthday party that otherwise only included bubble family because they said they hadn't been going out. Three days later one of the grandparents had a fever and tested positive. Didn't know where they got it for sure because 'couldn't remember' where they had been the prior week. Friend was justifiably enraged with another child in the NICU that they couldn't visit for two weeks then. Plus the whole lying part.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have a family member that does this. If you asked her "do you wear a mask in public?" Her answer is unequivocally "yes." The quiet part that she leaves out is "when I'm forced to."

The 'I've been really careful' is interesting too as it varies from person to person. Like careful, only visiting a few people, or only going out twice a week? Only going to restaurants occasionally before hanging with elderly/at risk folks?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
The 'I've been really careful' is interesting too as it varies from person to person. Like careful, only visiting a few people, or only going out twice a week? Only going to restaurants occasionally before hanging with elderly/at risk folks?

Here's a great anecdote for that...

This person I'm referring to had to take a flight to CA in April due to a family emergency (death in the immediate family). I told her she had to quarantine for two weeks in her apartment when she got back, which she agreed to. I called her on about day 7 to see how things were going with the isolation. "Oh, things are going pretty good. I'm really taking this quarantine seriously! I don't go anywhere unless I need a pop from the gas station or groceries at the store."

You could hear my eyes rolling over the phone.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica

I just take "I've been careful" or "I've been really careful" as a BS sign that someone isn't going to tell me the truth. At that point, I'm done with them.

• Dumb
Reactions: Cyclonesrule91

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I notice it quite often from people who go into stores and think they are being careful because they put their mask on. Hey bud, nice job not disinfecting your hands or adjusting it and then opening the door, touching groceries and then putting them back then using the card payer all while having dirty hands. Nice you have a mask on, but realize you just wrecked a major part of the benefit by touching your face and mask and not disinfecting or washing your hands before touching anything else.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Here's a great anecdote for that...

This person I'm referring to had to take a flight to CA in April due to a family emergency (death in the immediate family). I told her she had to quarantine for two weeks in her apartment when she got back, which she agreed to. I called her on about day 7 to see how things were going with the isolation. "Oh, things are going pretty good. I'm really taking this quarantine seriously! I don't go anywhere unless I need a pop from the gas station or groceries at the store."

You could hear my eyes rolling over the phone.

Yeah when I was referred to quarantine back in March, my dad would call and ask if I was still able to get to the store etc.

Um, NO.

Reactions: throwittoblythe
Status
Not open for further replies.