Coaching Search: Place your bets

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
All that anyone needs to do to know that Prohm is gone is go look at past coaching change eras on CF. The fires burn the same. He gone.

And the fact that if he were coming back, the AD would have been seeding that thought directly to places like this for weeks already.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I've been told from a source that are friends with the Sukups that we were trying to get rid of prohm last season, but somehow he talked his way into staying. Also said the top 4 candidates we are looking at are Dana Altman, Hoiberg, Thad Matta, and TJ in that order. Just passing on what I've heard.
tenor.gif

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Couldn’t she soon land a NBA HC job?
Why go to a bad setup at Iowa St and risk that?
It's a P6 job and plays in Texas at least 4 times a year (she's been in San Antonio for well over a decade). Obviously she's likely lined up for a NBA-job and I think she would be a short-term hire in that regard (this would likely be Hoiberg 2.0). But ISU has nothing to lose and frankly neither does Hammon: she could have a similar record to Ewing at Georgetown (he's currently at .504 record over 4 seasons) and they both would be snatched up as NBA assistants or even head coaches with that kind of performance. This is a PR move that also checks the boxes of hiring an X&O's coach with both experience & success at multiple levels.

Reactions: njcyclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I gotta admit I actually would like an outside the box hire like Becky Hammon. Even if it's not her, let's be the first men's program to hire a woman.

If you are going outside the box. Why not hire an African American coach. Makes more sense than a white woman!

Anthony Grant - Dayton HC
Dennis Gates - Cleveland State HC
Dana Ford - Mo State HC
Dwayne Stephens - Mich St Asst
Micah Shrewsberry - Purdue Asst.
Jerome Tang - Baylor Asst.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It's a P6 job and plays in Texas at least 4 times a year (she's been in San Antonio for well over a decade). Obviously she's likely lined up for a NBA-job and I think she would be a short-term hire in that regard (this would likely be Hoiberg 2.0). But ISU has nothing to lose and frankly neither does Hammon: she could have a similar record to Ewing at Georgetown (he's currently at .504 record over 4 seasons) and they both would be snatched up as NBA assistants or even head coaches with that kind of performance. This is a PR move that also checks the boxes of hiring an X&O's coach with both experience & success at multiple levels.
It makes sense from our perspective. Zero sense from hers.
She doesn’t need to take a P5 rebuild to become an NBA head coach. It’s far more likely to impede her becoming one. Playing in Texas 4 times a year is minuscule.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
It makes sense from our perspective. Zero sense from hers.
She doesn’t need to take a P5 rebuild to become an NBA head coach. It’s far more likely to impede her becoming one. Playing in Texas 4 times a year is minuscule.
Only thing ISU can offer is a HC salary: $750K a year is more than triple what she makes in San Antonio right now, but ISU would likely need to offer $1 mil a season or maybe something like $3 mil over 4 years.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Fantasy? Lol ok

Why do you think it is realistic that Fred is coming back to Ames? Have you seen any media/message board reports other than Cyclonefanatic?

I would have no issue if Fred came back, but if the possibility was there I would think there would be more indications that anonymous postings on this message board. If its out there great. I just haven't seen it.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: Cy$ and WhoISthis

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Think we have a shot with Altman or Matta?

You'd have to think Matta is more realistic than Altman.

Altman makes 2.8 million and is at Oregon. Not sure why he would leave that job. If he did though we would have to pay him over 3 million. I don't see it happening unless for some odd reason he wants to really come back to the Midwest.

Matta was making around 3 million a year I think when he got canned. Could probably get him for a little cheaper than Altman.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Fred did by reaching out to JP.

I appreciate your dedication to the story! But my question is really who started the rumors amongst the stupidity of message board posters.

Matt A? The donor willing to pay for him (I’m assuming the sukups)? Carol Hoiberg?

I mean with my help and your Grandma this thread is reaching epic levels. Remember the rashad Vaughn thread? That will be this thread in a week.

and this thread ensures that every time the real new guy loses, a significant number of people will still wonder what Hoiberg would have done.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Want a coach that knows what the heck he is doing. Prohm has not only not done a good job, but for the last year and a half he has just looked like I don't really give a ship.

Expect TJ. but JP usually comes up with something not obvious.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
and this thread ensures that every time the real new guy loses, a significant number of people will still wonder what Hoiberg would have done.

This is exactly why it would have been better for the psyche of ISU fans if Fred had kicked ass in Chicago. Then it's a done deal... he's not even food for thought now.

Still... i'm torn....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is exactly why it would have been better for the psyche of ISU fans if Fred had kicked ass in Chicago. Then it's a done deal... he's not even food for thought now.

Still... i'm torn....

ehhh....I was thinking more about the new guy.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
ehhh....I was thinking more about the new guy.

That is what I was trying to say. New guy wouldn't get killed for not being Fred if Fred was still doing the NBA thing. It would be a non issue. But now... Fred is at Nebraska. New guy will get killed because Fred seems available to us now. No matter who New guy is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Die4Cy and jsb

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The way things are going with the Timberwolves, I think Fred will have another chance to go to the NBA this year.