Most dropped courses at ISU this semester

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Just wondering if ISU needs a placement test to see who's ready for Calc and who is not. Might save on their retention stats, if that's a concern.

SDCyclonesFamily

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 21, 2016
I took that class with several ISU football players...fun group.

Anyone else take Meteorology 206 Clouds?
I took Meteorology 206 as an online summer class. We had to input a daily "forecast" online - which was easy to copy/paste from the weather channel and change the temp by a degree or two. I think it had a weekly online open book quiz that we could take whenever we wanted. That was the easiest class to get an A on!

NateTheBoss

Nov 21, 2013
Just wondering if ISU needs a placement test to see who's ready for Calc and who is not. Might save on their retention stats, if that's a concern.
They do have one. I think it was called Aleks when I was there.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
So they don't teach basic micro and macro theory?
Micro is 101 and Macro is 102. Both of those classes sucked. Not because the subject is overly complicated but they are taught poorly.

I think if a class is consistently on this list they need to look at how it is taught.

Most of these are on there because they are not taught well.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Micro is 101 and Macro is 102. Both of those classes sucked. Not because the subject is overly complicated but they are taught poorly.

I think if a class is consistently on this list they need to look at how it is taught.

I had ECON 101H and ECON 102H back in the day.

Much better experience in a small classroom of 15-20 with some of the best freshmen at the university as opposed to the gigantic lecture hall and a professor who is just droning off slides.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA

I took 102 at DMACC and did pretty well because it was more one-on-one. Took 101 at Iowa State in the Curtiss lecture hall and barely passed. You are right, that class isn't taught well. I was just so lost.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I still suffer PTSD from DIff EQ. :mccaffery:

Everybody always says that and I don't get it. That's 265 right? Basically it's just the same as 165 but with more variables. I thought DiffEq was the easiest calc class I took. But then, I screwed up and dropped Theory of Matrices (Math 145 maybe?), which everyone else said was the easy elective but just confused me to death.

For most people, the more abstract the math is, the harder. And for me, it's the opposite. Weird brain I suppose.

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
The guy I had in Econ 101 was Phillipino or something similar. Everytime he said "sheet" it sounded exactly like he was saying "sh*t". So you can imagine how funny it was whenever we took exams and were given directions regarding our sh*ts. "When your finished working your way through your sheets, give your sheets to the person at the end of the row. They know what to do with your sheets".

I’m pretty sure I had this guy too. Good times for sure.

I can vouch for what others have said about Econ. I’m a total geek that can read about Econ theory for hours, but I hated the way microeconomics was taught at ISU. In my opinion, rather than using calculus as a tool to further economic understanding, they used economics as an excuse to do a bunch of math problems. It doesn’t surprise me that it’s getting dropped.

Edit: just checked my transcript. I took Econ 301

Last edited:

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
In Math 165 the TA's last name was like 25 letters long and started with a Z. He told us to just call him "Z". I think that was the only thing he spoken in some what English. Hence the reason I dropped middle of semester. Found out what section to get in for the following semester and had the head of the math department. His English was a tad better and ended up getting an A.

Took Bowling and Billiards my last semester along with 20 credits (6 credits of pass/fail). The key to these two classes to get a passing grade was based on your improvement. So the key was to play as horrible as you could the first couple of weeks and then "miraculously" improve your score. Pretty easy way to pass those two classes.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
The guy I had in Econ 101 was Phillipino or something similar. Everytime he said "sheet" it sounded exactly like he was saying "sh*t". So you can imagine how funny it was whenever we took exams and were given directions regarding our sh*ts. "When your finished working your way through your sheets, give your sheets to the person at the end of the row. They know what to do with your sheets".
Surge??? or Surgio??

Reactions: PickSix

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Our guy said "goats" instead of "goods". He had lots of lectures about military goats

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
It's weird to see the lab section of Gen Chem 1, but not the lecture is in the top 10.
Labs were always the best part of the course.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Pulled out the ISU transcript and dang I sucked at school, finished with a 2.43.

Math 150: C-
Econ 101: C-
Stat 227: Dropped and took at another college
Stat 201: D
Last semester GPA 1.67

I did graduate in 4 years so at least I had that going for me.